Apple Beats isn't dead yet, with new designer reportedly designing new products

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Rumors of Beats' demise may be exaggerated, as a new report claims that ex-HTC Android hardware designer Scott Croyle is working for Apple on future Beats by Dre device designs.

Beats by Dre
Beats by Dre

Apple now regularly releases special versions of Beats headphones - like a limited edition Studio3, or glow-in-the-dark Powerbeats. It hasn't introduced many new Beats products -- but that may be about to change, despite rumors to the contrary.

Right from when Apple bought the audio companyfor $3 billion in 2014, it's been persistently rumored to be aiming to phase out the Beats name. It did quickly drop Beats Music, and then in 2020 the Beats section of Apple's website briefly disappeared.

However, also in 2020, Apple hired designer Scott Croyle, whose extensive career includes five years leading HTC's design. According to 9to5mac, Croyle has specifically been tasked with overseeing the design of Beats products going forward.

Reportedly, Beats has been working with Ammunition -- the company it expected to cease using for designs after being acquired by Apple -- and that will continue. Croyle is responsible for liaising between Beats and Ammunition.

There is no detail of exactly what that liaising will entail, but there are rumors of new products. An unnamed source has reportedly said that the Beats team is currently studying speakers from other companies, and that it also remains focused on headphones.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple would be stupid and arrogant to kill Beats which is a HUGE brand that’s alive and well. Heck, I know Apple fans who are waiting for new Beats because they love the brand.

Beats is 2nd to the Apple branded wearables. Had Apple gave Beats more attention they may have still been 1st. I believe at one point Beats had over 50% of the over-the-ear headphone market.

I hope these rumors are true and Beats is back. With some Apple innovation.

Apple should have music keynotes with announcements like these and an artist performance. 
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Please! Cut down on the bass frequency.
    dysamoriamobirdBeatsdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    Which Beats have you tried recently? That was definitely an issue with some of the previous designs, but I haven't noticed it as much in the current lineup.

Mark
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It’s one of several brands I couldn’t care less about.

i also want to point out that having a designer working on new stuff for “Beats by Dre” is a good indicator that they’re not “by Dre” 😉
    darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 22
    dysamoria said:
    It’s one of several brands I couldn’t care less about.

i also want to point out that having a designer working on new stuff for “Beats by Dre” is a good indicator that they’re not “by Dre” 😉

And I don’t care about Sony. But I know they’re a huge company and important to many people. Beats is a whole freaking culture!!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mknelson said:
    Which Beats have you tried recently? That was definitely an issue with some of the previous designs, but I haven't noticed it as much in the current lineup.

Mark
    You’re right, and he’s full of crap. One post troll. Personally, I’d prefer if Apple would give us an app for all their speakers and headphones (Bests, HomePod, AirPods), so that we could adjust equalizer settings to our own preferences. Like many other companies already do. Why are we still locked into their predetermined sound settings? Does Apple truly support user choice? Or is it just convenient rhetoric to toss around when the opportunity to damage a competitor arises?
    gregoriusmBeatsmobird
  • Reply 7 of 22
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Loved the Power Beats Pro for gym uses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Same. Any gym I go to (and I go to a lot) I'd say earphones are split 50/50 between Powerbeats Pro and AirPods

I bet there's a ton of people who wouldnt buy Airpods for an android phone and the Beats brand gives apple access to that market
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Same. Any gym I go to (and I go to a lot) I'd say earphones are split 50/50 between Powerbeats Pro and AirPods

I bet there's a ton of people who wouldnt buy Airpods for an android phone and the Beats brand gives apple access to that market
    I think Beats could be a way to compete in the lower end smart speaker or even stream sticks arena without cheapening the Apple brand. 
    Beatsgoodbyeranchrobabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    3.2 Billion, the price Apple paid for Beats.. the MOST  EXPENSIVE  acquisition by Apple ever……. and to quote Tim at the time “ Its a no Brainer”  …🤦🏼‍♂️
     He must have been confused   between “no brainer’  and “brainless’

To this they it baffles me ! ! 
    darkvader
  • Reply 11 of 22
    3.2 Billion, the price Apple paid for Beats.. the MOST  EXPENSIVE  acquisition by Apple ever……. and to quote Tim at the time “ Its a no Brainer”  …🤦🏼‍♂️

It paid for itself years ago already. Stop complaining.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Kuyangkoh said:

Always puts a smile on my face when I see an android user with Beats on, knowing Apple made more profit from those headphones than Company X did on their cheap iKnockoff.
    goodbyeranchcitylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member

Read this and become informed: http://www.ipbrief.net/2014/06/01/the-patents-involved-in-apples-purchase-of-beats-electronics/
    fastasleepshark5150dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:

Mark
    You’re right, and he’s full of crap. One post troll. Personally, I’d prefer if Apple would give us an app for all their speakers and headphones (Bests, HomePod, AirPods), so that we could adjust equalizer settings to our own preferences. Like many other companies already do. Why are we still locked into their predetermined sound settings? Does Apple truly support user choice? Or is it just convenient rhetoric to toss around when the opportunity to damage a competitor arises?
    Ok accuser without proof, l can be the troll that makes the King of comments here. But yes I had one of those « previous designs » and I have a problem with my hearing for watching way too much live shows in the 80s and 90s.
    darkvader
  • Reply 15 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

No, you’re just a guy pounding a keyboard while they’re busy generating billions in profit, is all. 
    dysamoriaCloudTalkinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    You do know you can adjust that in Settings right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22

Your post is brainless. Apple earns around $9 billion a year just from the former Beats Music plus a few billion more from Beats hardware. 

To put it in a way that you might understand, it takes Apple under 4 months to collect what it paid for Beats using the assets it purchased. 

dysamoriarobabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:

Mark

You can, in fact, adjust equalizer settings for every single accessory, including HomePods and AirPods. You are not “locked” into anything. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

This remark is baffling.

Apple got back what they paid for Beats in about 2016 in just hardware profits, and that's not even including the patents they got, and the fact that the core of Apple Music came from the Beats acquisition.
    dysamoriaCloudTalkinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    flydog said:
    Japhey said:
    mknelson said:

Mark

You can, in fact, adjust equalizer settings for every single accessory, including HomePods and AirPods. You are not “locked” into anything. 
    You must be referring to the eq settings you must adjust on an app to app basis, like in Music or Spotify. I was talking about system-wide eq settings adjusted through a dedicated app. I thought that was obviously implied in my original post.