'Twitter Blue' subscription may add 'undo' button to iOS app

Posted:
in General Discussion
Twitter will allow users to "undo" mistakenly-posted tweets in its app as part of its upcoming "Twitter Blue" subscription, a researcher has uncovered, with the $2.99-per-month service also potentially including other useful premium features.

Twitter is a free service to practically all of its users, with advertisers providing the bulk of revenue. However, the microblogging site may soon give users extra features in exchange for a relatively small monthly fee.

Uncovered by researcher Jane Manchun Wong, the subscription is believed to be called "Twitter Blue," and is tentatively priced at $2.99 per month. The price could change ahead of launch, though it probably won't grow that much higher in cost.

Twitter is calling their upcoming Subscription Service "Twitter Blue", priced at $2.99/month for now, including paid features like:

Undo Tweets: https://t.co/CrqnzIPcOH

Collections: https://t.co/qfFfAXHp1o pic.twitter.com/yyMStpCkpr

-- Jane Manchun Wong (@wongmjane)

In exchange for that monthly fee, Wong offers there could be at least two features included in the service, covering the ability to "undo" tweets, and collections.

"Undo Send," which Wong demonstrated in a March 5 tweet, adds an extra step to the tweeting process, one that allows users the ability to unpublish a tweet shortly after posting it. On pressing "Tweet," the message is posted, but a notification appears with an "Undo" button on a timer, which gives a brief window to withdraw the tweet.

The concept falls short of requests from some users to allow the editing of tweets instead of deleting and then re-posting the corrected version, but it may help save some users from posting content they may regret in the first place.

The other feature os "Bookmark Collections," where a tweet could be added and organized into a collection. The tweets could then be reviewed at a later time, or the collection could be shared.

While rumors have pointed to the development of a subscription service, it remains unclear as to when it will launch to the public. The leak, complete with graphics, strongly points to it arriving sooner rather than later.

The subscription's implementation could be in response to App Tracking Transparency, which arrived as part of iOS 14.5. Twitter started adding a splash page to the app asking users to enable ad tracking in compliance with Apple's rules on May 14.

It seems that only a small percentage of users are opting in to ad tracking, which could affect the ability for Twitter and other services to serve lucrative personalized advertising. However, while others have been vocal critics of ATT, Twitter has instead offered ATT will have a "modest impact" on its revenue.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Maybe give the paid subscriber the "blue checkmark" (verified account) as part of subscription?
    AMcKinlay21
  • Reply 2 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    You have to pay for that?!?!!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Beats said:
    In response to your question, I think you get the "blue checkmark" if you are "somebody" in the media, business, entertainment, education, defense, influencer, and just about any celebrity. I believe that the entity has "been verified" in some manner by Twitter, and of course if you are WOKE or know the secret handshake will get you into the club. You and me, I don't know how we get the coveted "blue checkmark"... ;)
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mobird said:
    Beats said:
    In response to your question, I think you get the "blue checkmark" if you are "somebody" in the media, business, entertainment, education, defense, influencer, and just about any celebrity. I believe that the entity has "been verified" in some manner by Twitter, and of course if you are WOKE or know the secret handshake will get you into the club. You and me, I don't know how we get the coveted "blue checkmark"... ;)
    Well to begin with, someone has to care who you are. 
    Ah then Twitter has to think you’re worth impersonating. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    mobird said:
    Beats said:
    It has nothing to do with your insecurity of social wokeness, no. Twitter has published what is required to get certified and that ain’t it. But try harder, there must be a way to be a victim here. 
    edited May 2021 williamlondonshareef777
  • Reply 6 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    This sounds dumb. All people want is the obvious ability to edit a tweet to correct typos. Like everywhere else on the internet. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I gladly deleted my free Twitter account.
    Beatsrotateleftbytewilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mobird said:
    Beats said:

You replied to the wrong person.

But yes you are correct. I think paying for the blue checkmark would cause abuse.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    This sounds dumb. All people want is the obvious ability to edit a tweet to correct typos. Like everywhere else on the internet. 

It’s an excuse to get into the subscription game. The crap I’ve seen that’s a subscription nowadays is ridiculous.

https://jalopnik.com/this-dystopian-biker-airbag-crash-vest-only-saves-your-1846823791

Heck just today I wanted to buy something and it was subscription only.

• Reply 10 of 11
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    2,99 / year = mmm ok
    2,88 / month = ahahahah