iPad Pro order arrives earlier than expected May 21 street date

Posted:
in iPad edited May 2021
A few Apple customers may get their orders of the M1-equipped iPad Pro earlier than anticipated, with one person claiming to have received the 12.9-inch 5th-generation model a week ahead of the expected street date.

An early iPad Pro order [via Reddit/PeterDragon50]
An early iPad Pro order [via Reddit/PeterDragon50]

The updated iPad Pro was announced as part of Apple's "Spring Loaded" special event, with wide availability expected from May 21. However, one customer received their order a full week ahead of when stores are supposed to start selling the new tablet.

In a post to Reddit's r/iPad on Saturday, user "PeterDragon50" posted images of an iPad Pro he had picked up from a store. In the thread, initially spotted by MacRumors, the person was informed by retailer Nebraska Furniture Mart that their iPad Pro was available for pick-up.

It is highly probable that the order was mistakenly fulfilled far earlier than Apple desired. However, Apple hasn't offered a firm release date aside from the "second half of May," though leaks and Apple's website metadata point to an intended street date of May 21.

The early sighting could be an indication that other customers could start receiving their orders ahead of schedule, but the vast majority will most likely arrive on May 21 or later.

Apple's new iPad Pro introduces a mini-LED backlight to the 12.9-inch model, with both it and the 11-inch version also gaining 5G support and Thunderbolt connectivity. The model also departs from the usual use of A-series chips, with Apple instead using the same M1 chip as used in its Apple Silicon Macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    From Nebraska Furniture Mart????
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    MplsP said:
    An incredible store that seems to sell nearly everything. It’s worth a visit if you can. 
    Apple-a-dayshark5150watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pascal007pascal007 Posts: 118member
    MplsP said:
    A little googling leads to this : https://www.nfm.com/ipad-and-tablets
    Apple-a-day
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ZirlinZirlin Posts: 19member
    It is a greek tragedy that the M1 iPad isn't running MacOS when clearly and obviously it can.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Zirlin said:
    It is a greek tragedy that the M1 iPad isn't running MacOS when clearly and obviously it can.
    Because Apple could shoehorn MacOS into an iPad doesn’t mean they should. In its present state MacOS wouldn’t be a good fit for a touch driven device. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Zirlin said:
    Because Apple could shoehorn MacOS into an iPad doesn’t mean they should. In its present state MacOS wouldn’t be a good fit for a touch driven device. 
    Pretty sure touch-enabling macOS would be a pretty simple task.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Zirlin said:
    I’m guessing it’s a lot harder than you think. Also, making MacOS touch enabled is a far cry from making MacOS with a great touch experience. Why some folks want Apple to slap together some sh!tshow version of MacOS so they can have it in an iPad is beyond me. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Only low capacity iPad Pros. Not 1TB or 2TB models. I don’t expect them to arrive until July for most customers who ordered them after the first day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    vman815vman815 Posts: 8member
    Zirlin said:
    Not a “Greek tragedy”, but merely a “geek tragedy”. Everyone else will be just fine, especially with IPadOS 15.
    thtdewmethedbawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Zirlin said:
    I’m guessing it’s a lot harder than you think. Also, making MacOS touch enabled is a far cry from making MacOS with a great touch experience. Why some folks want Apple to slap together some sh!tshow version of MacOS so they can have it in an iPad is beyond me. 
    Microsoft has given us examples of what happens when you try to force a desktop OS to work on a touchscreen. That's part of the reason the iPhone and iPad have done so well; their OS was designed for a touchscreen. 

I don't want Apple to cram MacOS into an iPad but I do want them to put as much work into expanding iPadOS's capabilities as much as they have the iPad's hardware capabilities. The new iPad Pro can leave most laptops in the dust but is being crippled by the OS. Hopefully iPadOS 15 will be a step forward and let the iPad reach its full potential.
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Luckily, I received a notification AND an email from Apple saying my 12.9” M1 iPad Pro has had a change in expected delivery from 6/24-7/8 to 6/23-7/8. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Only low capacity iPad Pros. Not 1TB or 2TB models. I don’t expect them to arrive until July for most customers who ordered them after the first day.
    I ordered mine on 5/13/21 and while my original estimate was July 8-21, i just got an update that says the estimate is Jun 23-July 8.  This is a 1 TB device.  To replace my slightly aging 2007 17-inch MBP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Luckily, I received a notification AND an email from Apple saying my 12.9” M1 iPad Pro has had a change in expected delivery from 6/24-7/8 to 6/23-7/8. 
    Me too!
    watto_cobra