Bill Gates was ousted from Microsoft board over staff relationship

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Microsoft founder Bill Gates' departure from the company board may have been due to pressure from other board members, prompted by allegations he had an inappropriate relationship with a female employee.

In 2020, it was announced that Bill Gates was leaving the Microsoft board to concentrate on the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. However, in a Sunday report, it is alleged that Gates may have been pushed out by the other board members over an engineer's claim.

Gates was accused of having pursued a relationship with a Microsoft employee in 2000, in a letter sent to the board by a Microsoft engineer, according to the Wall Street Journal. The board hired a law firm to investigate the accusation in 2019, and some members also decided it was unsuitable for Gates to remain a director while the probe was being conducted.

A spokeswoman for Gates said "There was an affair almost 20 years ago which ended amicably." Gates' decision to leave the board "was in no way related to this matter. In fact, he had expressed an interest in spending more time on his philanthropy starting several years earlier."

The revelations follow just over two weeks after Bill and Melinda Gates announced their divorce, ending their marriage after 27 years.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Bill Gates the original...
  • Reply 2 of 24
    What’s the big deal if she wanted to log on to Windows 2000?
    mac daddy zee
  • Reply 3 of 24
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    New series “inside Bill’s briefs”
    mac daddy zeepulseimagesdarkvader
  • Reply 4 of 24
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    So instead of being the 4th richest person in the world, he'll soon be 8th?
    d_2mac daddy zeeaderuttermarccosansconosciuto
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Bill’a legacy is going down the crapper quick
    mac daddy zeesconosciutollamaiHy
  • Reply 6 of 24
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Bill Gates is gross. 

How the dude ever convinced Melinda to marry him is a mystery. 

But then, the toad is the one who cheats? And he’s the one with the nasty vices? 

Gross. 

He should be great full for anyone who ever shows him an ounce of affection. 

Dude got used for his fame and fortune. And he sold his soul. 

So sad. 

Now, he’s not only gross, but old and gross. 

Don’t know much about Melinda but she seemed sweet. 

Dude deserves what is happening now. 

Gotta feel for every wife, gf etc that actually loves their other half, but whose partners want to push some otherwise deal-breaking crap on them. 

“Hep babe, I love you and our kids. But I am going to go get busy with Trixie every year for vacation. Every year. So be ok with that.”

and that is likely just the top of the iceberg. 

What a guy. 

Dude was so distracted with filth, no wonder he got whooped by Jobs at every turn and didn’t foresee Ballmer driving the company into oblivion. 

And if he is doing all this other stuff, the Epstein connection just begs for a further look. 

Not going to end well. 

CluntBaby92
  • Reply 7 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    All these statements of how awful Gates was, sold his soul, was kinky, etc... where is any of this coming from?

Sellout? Who thinks he was at some point a wonderful person, motivated by the will to do good? He was known to be an aggressive money-seeking dick from day one. He was also a spoiled & privileged teenager, and has a famous smarmy-ass mug shot from an arrest. Then there’s his jerky performance in front of the senate... The personality has always been there.

On the side of “devil’s advocate”, let’s address the so-called nude parties and relationship stuff:

Are you so afraid of human sexuality & the human body that nudity in someone’s own private space bothers you? You’ve heard that there are entire swaths of people who join nudist groups, right? How many of you guys are usually worshipping wealthy tech bros for “winning” and being able to throw pool parties with “hot chicks” & strippers?

Then there’s a thing called ethical non-monogamy, and things called open marriages. Yes, people consent to these types of arrangements. Such a thing might be relevant to the current marriage issues, or might NOT be. Where’s the info and why is it our business?

I see zero citations of source here on anything. All I see is gossip, which Apple fanatics are happy to engage because Bill Gates is “the original enemy” (well, IBM was THE original enemy, but Gates was the smarmy face of the longer-standing, and more obnoxious rival corporation for decades).

I do not care about the sex lives of consenting adults (assuming it’s informed consent, and that distinction matters). I only care that people engage with the world ethically, and are ALLOWED the agency to live their lives as they wish to, so long as they’re not actively or passively harming others.

If Gates had a relationship with an employee, then there’s a question of conflict of interest in the workplace, and potentially worse things like the employee feeling pressured to engage in said relationship because of the imbalanced power dynamic. That stuff matters. That should be analyzed & discussed, because workplaces should be safe from bullying, sexual abuse, etc., and it’s long past the time for workplaces to ACTUALLY BE safe and for corporations to be held accountable for being anything BUT.

But the other crap brought up here... Is just weird.
    muthuk_vanalingamomar moralessedicivalvoleh4y3selijahgMacProDAalsethpulseimagesdarkvaderllama
  • Reply 8 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Bill Gates is gross. 

But then, the toad is the one who cheats? And he’s the one with the nasty vices? 

Gross. 

So sad. 

Gotta feel for every wife, gf etc that actually loves their other half, but whose partners want to push some otherwise deal-breaking crap on them. 

“Hep babe, I love you and our kids. But I am going to go get busy with Trixie every year for vacation. Every year. So be ok with that.”

What a guy. 

Dude was so distracted with filth, no wonder he got whooped by Jobs at every turn and didn’t foresee Ballmer driving the company into oblivion. 

And if he is doing all this other stuff, the Epstein connection just begs for a further look. 

Not going to end well. 

The only thing in your weird rant that seems worth commenting on is the Epstein connection.  That would truly be horrific if the unthinkable were true.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Bill Gates is gross. 

Gross. 

So sad. 

What a guy. 

Not going to end well. 

Hey, wrong day. AI does its slam poetry contest on Wednesdays. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 10 of 24
    david808david808 Posts: 22member
    Bill's Ex and Jeff Bezos' Ex should form the Billionaire Ex Wives Club. 
    StrangeDaysiHy
  • Reply 11 of 24
    lmasanti said:
    Melinda was also a Microsoft employee…
    Yea, I thought that's what the article was going to be about.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    MacPro said:
    Bill Gates is gross. 

Gross. 

So sad. 

What a guy. 

Not going to end well. 

The only thing in your weird rant that seems worth commenting on is the Epstein connection.  That would truly be horrific if the unthinkable were true.

You may hear more weird things in coming months. He is trying to disappear slowly from public life. Divorce and now this... I would not be surpriced if we see in some months news he or Bezos died on heart attack, this or that or in car crash or do not hear about him at all.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 14 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, we knew there had to be more to this. My 88 year old grandfather once told me ,after a pensive pause,”That thing between your legs will get you into more trouble then it’s worth."
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Bill Gates is gross. 

Gross. 

So sad. 

What a guy. 

Not going to end well. 

StrangeDaysviclauyycdysamoria9secondkox2
  • Reply 16 of 24
    The headline is very misleading.  It needs a "Report suggests..." or "may have."  Otherwise it's completely contradicted by the article itself.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    The headline is very misleading.  It needs a "Report suggests..." or "may have."  Otherwise it's completely contradicted by the article itself.
    No, it's contradicted by Bill Gates' spokeswoman. The linked WSJ article says more (but is behind a paywall). 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    > How the dude ever convinced Melinda to marry him is a mystery.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    $$$ agreed $$$$$$$ can’t imagine how $$$$$
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Reply 19 of 24
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    lkrupp said:
    Well, we knew there had to be more to this. My 88 year old grandfather once told me ,after a pensive pause,”That thing between your legs will get you into more trouble then it’s worth."
    Actually it’s the thing between men’s ears that gets them into trouble 😉
    dysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    It shows zero class that a site like AI publishes the equivalent of tabloid news trash.  I'm not a fan of Bill Gates, but what he does in private with another consenting adult is no one's business.  AI should be above this.  Seriously disappointed.
    muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria