tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    Imagine an iPad able to run, at the whim of the user based on his needs: 
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS
    -- An fully functional ARM based Windows

It would be the most awesome machine on the planet.

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

Actually, they already did.   Try to keep up.

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    So why would anyone contest Apple doing the same for the Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, or even iMac 24 inch? The form factors are all based on the same thin build, and minimal ports, which is anathema to user upgrades. 

I can see an argument for the iMac Pro, or Mac Pro, but even the upcoming iMac 27 inch / 32 inch version might not be user upgradeable, given the fact that few users ever avail themselves of upgrades. 

Buy what you need up front, and consider Apple financing if you can't meet the initial outlay, then sell when it stops meeting your needs, and buy a newer model.

You seem to be conflating upgradeability with OS.   They are different issues.

But, you suggest you buy a tablet when your needs call for a tablet then sell it and buy a Mac when your needs call for a Mac?
    Because those needs are increasingly not separate.
    I was helping my grandson with his homework last night and his assignments regularly switch back and forth between needing a tablet and needing a laptop.   Buying and lugging 2 devices around for one job just isn't reasonable now that technology has made one device for both tasks very possible.
    No, I'm responding to your previous comments about upgradability. 

As for your son and his homework;

Buy your grandson a Surface, because there isn't a future for what you want from Apple.

Problem solved.

See how that works?

His school already did that because they weren't stupid enough to buy two separate devices when one would do.   It works well --  Except it's a crappy Dell running a Celeron processor.

I'm just waiting for Apple to catch up and hoping they don't fall too far behind.  They have a lot to offer the world once they drop their purity tests.
    "It works well, except it'a a crappy Dell running a Celeron Processor."

What part of "Buy your grandson a Surface" did you miss?

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-SMW-00001-Touch-Screen-Processor/dp/B08BC8SJRR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1R6K8Q1KQ76&dchild=1&keywords=microsoft+surface+book+3+15+inch&qid=1621022933&sprefix=microsoft+surface+b,aps,241&sr=8-3

Now what's your excuse; cost?

No, you aren't getting a 2 in 1 from Apple anytime soon, so move on...

Yep!  You got that one right!  Perhaps you have money to throw away.  But, once his school gave him a functioning, but cheap & crappy, machine that did the job we weren't going to throw money away on something just because it would be nicer.

But, we're still waiting for Apple to get off their duff and produce a viable 2 in 1.    They keep inching closer.  But haven't quite made it to the finish line -- yet.
    Your grandson has access to a no cost computer from the school, that does everything he needs, yet you are happy to describe it as "crap".

LOL....   Nice twist and spin to, once again, avoid admitting how wrong you are:

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Which you lost, so you invented an argument about whether iPads should have:
    RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself

Which you also of course lost because nobody but you was suggesting iPads should have upgradeable RAM and storage!

And now you're trying to switch yet again to a debate over whether an 11"  2 in 1 running a Celeron processor (from 20 years ago!) is good machine.

I'm getting dizzy watching you run around in circles trying to make a cogent argument.

You might attempt reading comprehension. 

I stated that all of those devices, iPad, Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, and now iMac 24 inch, are very thin, and very similar in build, so why would it be expected that any of them would be upgradable, including next generation Mac Book Pro's? 

As for your grandson's computer, those Celeron processors are still being updated, and are still being spec'd in new machines, so you're lying about the age and performance of those computers provided by the school. I merely pointed out that you had options of purchasing a much better 2 in 1 for your grandson, instead of complaining about the "crap" device that he has access to, that you also find perfectly capable. 

A common thread of you posts is to complain about everything, do nothing to mitigate that in any way, and then continue to post with pride on what a cheap bastard you are.

Maybe you don't really want to be in the Apple ecosystem at all.

LOL... It has nothing to do with reading comprehension.   It's about how you just bounce to the next topic whenever you lose a debate.
    What debate did I lose?

Certainly not the debate about Mac OS on the iPad, which isn't happening, nor the debate about Apple marketing a 2 in 1, which is far off, if ever, and certainly not holding out hope for a user upgradable devices, excepting the larger screen iMac and the Mac Pro.

You on the other hand, will not find an Apple computer to your liking for years, at best, hence why I suggested the MS Surface 3, which meets all of your requirements, and would certainly meet your grandson's needs.

Oh yeh, that's right.   You never lose a debate -- instead you simply bounce on to some other gripe without losing a beat.
    None of what you are arguing is rumored, supported by statements from Apple, or implied by current Apple products. You're just pushing a wishlist, all of which are available from MS today, hence why I directed you to the Surface 3, so that you would stop with your incessant bellyaching about Apple on AI.

Oh wait, Surface 3 isn't user upgradable either.

Now your shit out of luck.
    williamlondonthedbacrowleywatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 89
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    So why would anyone contest Apple doing the same for the Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, or even iMac 24 inch? The form factors are all based on the same thin build, and minimal ports, which is anathema to user upgrades. 

I can see an argument for the iMac Pro, or Mac Pro, but even the upcoming iMac 27 inch / 32 inch version might not be user upgradeable, given the fact that few users ever avail themselves of upgrades. 

Buy what you need up front, and consider Apple financing if you can't meet the initial outlay, then sell when it stops meeting your needs, and buy a newer model.

But, you suggest you buy a tablet when your needs call for a tablet then sell it and buy a Mac when your needs call for a Mac?
    I was helping my grandson with his homework last night and his assignments regularly switch back and forth between needing a tablet and needing a laptop.   Buying and lugging 2 devices around for one job just isn't reasonable now that technology has made one device for both tasks very possible.

Buy your grandson a Surface, because there isn't a future for what you want from Apple.

Problem solved.

See how that works?

His school already did that because they weren't stupid enough to buy two separate devices when one would do.   It works well --  Except it's a crappy Dell running a Celeron processor.

I'm just waiting for Apple to catch up and hoping they don't fall too far behind.  They have a lot to offer the world once they drop their purity tests.

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-SMW-00001-Touch-Screen-Processor/dp/B08BC8SJRR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1R6K8Q1KQ76&dchild=1&keywords=microsoft+surface+book+3+15+inch&qid=1621022933&sprefix=microsoft+surface+b,aps,241&sr=8-3

Yep!  You got that one right!  Perhaps you have money to throw away.  But, once his school gave him a functioning, but cheap & crappy, machine that did the job we weren't going to throw money away on something just because it would be nicer.

But, we're still waiting for Apple to get off their duff and produce a viable 2 in 1.    They keep inching closer.  But haven't quite made it to the finish line -- yet.
    Your grandson has access to a no cost computer from the school, that does everything he needs, yet you are happy to describe it as "crap".

LOL....   Nice twist and spin to, once again, avoid admitting how wrong you are:

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Which you also of course lost because nobody but you was suggesting iPads should have upgradeable RAM and storage!

And now you're trying to switch yet again to a debate over whether an 11"  2 in 1 running a Celeron processor (from 20 years ago!) is good machine.

I'm getting dizzy watching you run around in circles trying to make a cogent argument.

I stated that all of those devices, iPad, Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, and now iMac 24 inch, are very thin, and very similar in build, so why would it be expected that any of them would be upgradable, including next generation Mac Book Pro's? 

As for your grandson's computer, those Celeron processors are still being updated, and are still being spec'd in new machines, so you're lying about the age and performance of those computers provided by the school. I merely pointed out that you had options of purchasing a much better 2 in 1 for your grandson, instead of complaining about the "crap" device that he has access to, that you also find perfectly capable. 

A common thread of you posts is to complain about everything, do nothing to mitigate that in any way, and then continue to post with pride on what a cheap bastard you are.

LOL... It has nothing to do with reading comprehension.   It's about how you just bounce to the next topic whenever you lose a debate.
    What debate did I lose?

Certainly not the debate about Mac OS on the iPad, which isn't happening, nor the debate about Apple marketing a 2 in 1, which is far off, if ever, and certainly not holding out hope for a user upgradable devices, excepting the larger screen iMac and the Mac Pro.

You on the other hand, will not find an Apple computer to your liking for years, at best, hence why I suggested the MS Surface 3, which meets all of your requirements, and would certainly meet your grandson's needs.

Oh yeh, that's right.   You never lose a debate -- instead you simply bounce on to some other gripe without losing a beat.
    None of what you are arguing is rumored, supported by statements from Apple, or implied by current Apple products. You're just pushing a wishlist, all of which are available from MS today, hence why I directed you to the Surface 3, so that you would stop with your incessant bellyaching about Apple on AI.

Don't bother debating anything with him. Would you ever consider debating a flat earther? Same thing here, at best he's just here to troll. 
    I don't have many posters on my ignore list but he's definitely one of them. 
    crowleywilliamlondontmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    thedba said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

Don't bother debating anything with him. Would you ever consider debating a flat earther? Same thing here, at best he's just here to troll. 
    I don't have many posters on my ignore list but he's definitely one of them. 

Just calling bull to the bull.   But the bullshitters think their shit doesn't smell.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 84 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

You're just angry and hateful.  Looking for a fight.   It's why you keep bouncing from one thing to the next to the next...

williamlondon
  • Reply 85 of 89
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

You're just angry and hateful.  Looking for a fight.   It's why you keep bouncing from one thing to the next to the next...

LOL?

Of course, you bing a complete dick is not causal to respondents to your posts being "angry and hateful". 

You have a mote in your eye...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

LOL?

Of course, you bing a complete dick is not causal to respondents to your posts being "angry and hateful". 

You can choose the battles to fight, don't you? This thread and few others are going nowhere and better to disengage, in my view.
    crowleywilliamlondonmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

LOL?

You can choose the battles to fight, don't you? This thread and few others are going nowhere and better to disengage, in my view.

That ignore button exists for a reason, best exemplified by GeorgeBMac.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 89
    crowley said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

LOL?

That ignore button exists for a reason, best exemplified by GeorgeBMac.
    The only thing haters love is hate.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 89 of 89
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Like many people, I don’t want to run macOS on my iPad. I bought Macs for that. There is a heck of a lot of software out for the iPad that does most of what the Mac does. And we get more all the time. With this upgrade, we’ll get more. And do you want to bet against Apple making some more very good upgrades to iPad OS this WWDC?
    I honestly dont’ care what OS the iPad runs. I care about what it can do and how easy it is to do it. Apple has tried to market the ipad (pro) as a laptop replacement, but it does not succeed as such. The point I and others are trying to make is that for a few years now the hardware has been amazing. The M1 makes it even more amazing, but iPadOS is far from amazing. I truly hope apple does make some good upgrades to iPadOS at WWDC - that will help everyone and help move the iPad forward as well.
    It does for a lot of people. Sure, we all want to see upgrades to the OS. We want to see upgrades to all OSs. But the idea I’d thecmacos Desktop on an iPad is a terrible idea.
    except I never said anything about MacOS on the iPad - I just said I wanted the OS to improve so it was more functional.
    We don’t have to be extremely specific when responding. I replied to what you said, and then added that people who want macOS there are incorrect in their thinking. No big deal. It was a related matter.
    watto_cobra