Get four months of Apple Arcade free with the Steelseries Nimbus+

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2021
Steelseries has announced that anyone who purchases the Nimbus+ controller will get four months of Apple Arcade for free.

The Steelseries Nimbus+
The Steelseries Nimbus+

The Nimbus+ wireless controller utilizes all of the conventional buttons a gamer expects in a controller, including clickable joystick buttons. Users can pair the controller via Bluetooth to their preferred Apple device.

If you are in the market for a gaming controller, this is a mobile-first option. It comes with an iPhone mount and has a 50-hour battery life, perfect for gaming on the go.

The Nimbus+ is an all-around improvement on the first-generation of the controller with a responsive d-pad and hall effect triggers. This was a controller designed with Apple users in mind.

Craig Olson, SteelSeries President of Worldwide Mobile, says the Nimbus+ Apple Arcade bundle "represents an incredible customer experience" and arrives at a perfect time with the 5G rollout.

AppleInsider reviewed the Nimbus+ controller and called it an ideal gaming controller for the iPhone. This MFi controller charges via Lightning, which means you'll need one less cable when traveling.

Customers interested in the bundle can order the controller now for $69.99 and receive the four months of Apple Arcade free at purchase.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Would be nice if there were actual games to play with the controller.

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    Oferelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    Yeah, I signed up for the free trial and just canceled it before it started billing.  I played a few games, but there was nothing that grabbed me.  Almost everything is original and cartoon-like.  With no mainstream titles and no classic titles, it's just not worth it.  I know this is a pipe dream, but give me a service where I can play everything from Madden to Nintendo to Intellivision, and I'm in.   
    Beatselijahg
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    Name a competitor that you prefer that costs $4.99 for a family subscription. These kinds of comments are made every time something about Apple Arcade comes up, but they make no sense relative to the market that actually exists. AAA games on consoles and PC still cost $60-$70 a pop for a reason.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    sdw2001 said:
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    Yeah, I signed up for the free trial and just canceled it before it started billing.  I played a few games, but there was nothing that grabbed me.  Almost everything is original and cartoon-like.  With no mainstream titles and no classic titles, it's just not worth it.  I know this is a pipe dream, but give me a service where I can play everything from Madden to Nintendo to Intellivision, and I'm in.   

I just don’t “get” why you’d need a controller when most games are slow indie mobile games.

If they added some survival horror and first person shooters requiring A14 and up, then I’d be in.

Look at the difference between Arcade and Switch(much weaker Qualcomm chip)

Apple arcade

• Reply 5 of 17
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    Name a competitor that you prefer that costs $4.99 for a family subscription. These kinds of comments are made every time something about Apple Arcade comes up, but they make no sense relative to the market that actually exists. AAA games on consoles and PC still cost $60-$70 a pop for a reason.

AppleTV+. It’s not a gaming service but Apple actually puts 100% in and dumps millions into quality content at only $4.99. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 17
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    You are right.  For $5, you're really not going to find any other comparable service.  The question that has to be asked is: Is what you're getting worth $5?  For a certain demographic, I guess it is.  For an even larger demographic that answer is no imo.  Apple Arcade just seems like App Store Games+.  The cost is really inexpensive but it seems like Apple Arcade falls under that old adage of "you get what you pay for".   Comparatively, XBOX Game Pass Ulitimate will run you $15/month but you get a helluva lot for your dollar: access to all of those $60-$70 AAA games on PC, console, and mobile.  

In a vacuum with no details, $5 vs $15, the fiver service seems like a better deal.  In the context of what's offered, the $15 service is the far better value imo.  

Steel Series partnering with Apple on this promo is a good deal for anyone who likes AArcade's style of games.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 17
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    "Comparatively, XBOX Game Pass Ulitimate will run you $15/month but you get a helluva lot for your dollar: access to all of those $60-$70 AAA games on PC, console, and mobile."

It's worth noting that Microsoft runs all sorts of deals and specials on Game Pass. When I got my Series X, I was able to convert three years of XBox Live Gold into three years of Game Pass for no extra charge. So, $60 a year for Gold, times 3 is $180, divided by 36 months, means I'm enjoying Game Pass and all it offers for (wait for it)... $5 a month. After three years, yes, it'll go back to $15 a month, but there are ways to bring that price down too. And that conversion "deal" is open to anyone, as long as you've never subscribed to Game Pass in the past. 

I think if there are people who like Apple Arcade, good for them. They should enjoy it to its fullest. But compared to the wider gaming universe? It's an awful value for very thin games. 
    edited May 2021 elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    You are right.  For $5, you're really not going to find any other comparable service. 
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-now/
    edited May 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Nimbus+ is one of the worst device I ever bought. Design is terrible: buttons for standby/turn off are stupid on tvOS, lightning port works with few games, to update firmware (the launch one was bugged) you need a software which is horrible on macOS or Windows. I hope Apple release their own controller. I have 4 nimbus+ for co-op games on tvOS, but I regret original nimbus. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    sdw2001 said:
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    I game since 20 years and I love Apple Arcade, a lot of gems there and a lot of fun with co-op or party games on tvOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    crowley said:
    You are right.  For $5, you're really not going to find any other comparable service. 
    That's not available on iOS/iPadOS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    CloudTalkin said: Apple Arcade just seems like App Store Games+. 
    That's what mobile is for the most part. It doesn't support $60-$70 dollar pricing. It doesn't even support $20-$30 pricing. People buying games on the App Store consider $7.99 to $9.99 to be pricey for some of the better ports of older PC or console games. That's how the mobile market for games currently works. It's either FTP or sub $10. That payment model doesn't fit the vast majority of AAA games sold on PC/consoles so there's no real reason to expect those kinds of games to be available or developed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    That's not available on iOS/iPadOS. 
    That wasn't part of the question.  Is there anything else comparable to Apple Arcade available on iOS?  At any price?

Point is, Apple Arcade doesn't get you a whole lot of game for your monthly sub. 
    edited May 2021 elijahgArianneFeldry
  • Reply 14 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    There are a lot of issues with it.

Many of the apps are blatantly standard App Store titles with IAPs ripped out and ads turned off. It's easy to tell as a number of games I've played have some form of currency that scales such that its nigh on impossible to progress, because you can't buy the virtual coins or tokens or whatever (not that I would if the option was there, purchasable virtual currency is a scam IMO). There are plenty of clones of App Store games too, not much is unique - the majority of the content is pretty childish too, I'd imagine most kids just deal with the ads on free games rather than (have their parents) sub to Arcade so maybe missing the target audience somewhat.

Another issue is almost all the Arcade games on AppleTV are just blown up versions of mobile games, and apart from a few, you can really tell. Apple's insistence that all games support all platforms doesn't help here as devs likely throw in AppleTV support with minimum effort, so the experience is usually pretty rough.

There are a couple of decent titles, but they're very few and only a couple of quality "feature length" games have been added since release. 95% of the games have zero compelling story or real engagement. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets forgotten about soon and abandoned.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 15 of 17
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Beats said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 

I just don’t “get” why you’d need a controller when most games are slow indie mobile games.

If they added some survival horror and first person shooters requiring A14 and up, then I’d be in.

Look at the difference between Arcade and Switch(much weaker Qualcomm chip)

Apple arcade

That's because Apple forces devs to support devices right down to the 6s. Apparently the devs just target the lowest common denominator so games on even the newest AppleTV look no better than they do on the AppleTV HD (other than being 4k geometry). Most 3D games on Arcade look like like they've been pulled from somewhere between the PS2 and PS3. It's pretty disappointing considering the tech demos of the Unreal engine back on the iPad 2 (Infinity Blade) 10 years ago look near enough the same as the graphics on the modern A14 powered devices.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Beats said:

Apple Arcade is a joke. 
    Apple Arcade is at such a low bar that it being $4.99 for the family isn't an indicator of quality. It just means that the games are shit. The games I would be interested in, are on better platforms, where they look good, on a large screen, with better controls.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 17
    crowley said: That wasn't part of the question.
    Sure it is. If you're complaining that Apple Arcade games aren't similar enough to AAA games, then that means you have an expectation that AAA game ports would be widely available on iOS/iPadOS. But they're not. Anyone familiar with mobile gaming knows that. So it's a nonsensical complaint to begin with. Not only does Apple not provide AAA games for a $4.99 a month subscription on iOS/iPadOS, neither does anyone else. 

Beyond that, the PS Now service is all previously released games from older generation hardware. They're not offering 100s of brand new AAA games for that price.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra