Rumor: 'Apple Watch Series 7' to feature flat edges, green color option [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2021
The "Apple Watch Series 7" could feature a new squared-off design similar to the iPhone 12 or iPad Pro, and may also come in a green color akin to AirPods Max.

Apple Watch Series 7 Render
Source: Jon Prosser

Prolific leaker Jon Prosser shared the "Apple Watch Series 7" rumors in the latest episode of the Genius Bar podcast with Sam Kohl (via Apple Track). Details were scarce, though Prosser hinted that additional information could be arriving in the future.

Prosser called the refresh a "slight redesign," while Kohl said that the "Apple Watch Series 7" would have a design language similar to Apple's other recent products.

"I think it makes sense to redesign it to fall in line with Apple's other products, Kohl said, adding that the edges of the new wearable are similar to Apple's recent iPad models.

The rumor lines up with predictions aired by well-connected TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in September 2020. At the time, Kuo said that a significant Apple Watch form factor change was in the works and could debut as soon as 2021.

Additionally, the two podcast hosts hinted that the new Apple Watch would come in a green colorway similar to the one available on Apple's AirPods Max.

Update: Prosser published renders of the supposed next-generation Apple Watch in a YouTube video on Wednesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Not sure the squared-off look scales down well. Looks clunky and ungraceful—especially where the band comes out of the box. Hope they do a better job of realizing it than this speculative render shows. 
    StrangeDaystwokatmewpscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 28
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    I've been wearing an Apple Watch daily since Series 0. I went from that to the Series 4 that I still wear: Black Stainless Steel. It's fast, fluid, and there isn't a single scratch. Having said that, I was preparing for a Series 7 and would gift my 4. If this flat design is accurate, I'll pass. I cannot see how sharp corners on this watch would be at all comfortable. It would dig into my wrist.
    dysamoriaseanjdoozydozentwokatmew
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Looks cool to me, including the green color. The flatness should allow it to be a bit thinner as well, particularly since there won't be as much of a need to curve the corners of the glass to match the curve of the main body.

Also, I don't think the squared edges will be uncomfortable at all since the watch is lifted slightly off the wrist by the sensor array.
    Scot1doozydozenbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I wish they would make a watch bigger flat edges are a bad idea and he cares about the Crazy colors
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 28
    ApplePoorApplePoor Posts: 286member
    If that is the new design, then the easily interchangeable bands become a fond memory. That is a major reason I liked the Apple Watch as I was able to reuse the stainless steel band from version 2 onwards. I am on the second band as the first just wore out the magnetic parts for closure.  I do not see Apple giving up the profitable multi bands for dress, work outs, moods etc.

They may need the pennies coming in if they have to write billion dollar fine cheques to line politicians pockets. 
    twokatmew
  • Reply 6 of 28
    I like the squared-off look. It could also allow slightly more internal volume within the same HxWxD (every cubic mm counts in such small devices). Or perhaps keeps same volume, but thinner, which would be my preference.
    doozydozenmike1byronl
  • Reply 7 of 28
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    If legit, that looks more like a Watch SE idea....
    omairBeatspscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 28
    omairomair Posts: 9member
    If true I wouldnt buy a flat design like that.  It would like entangle against other surfaces and clothes and even scratch anything it contacts.  I guess we will know once it comes out.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Because what having an object pressed up against our skin all day really needs it hard edges...

But I don’t wear watches anymore, so I guess it’s not a problem for me. Though, there are reasons why I stopped wearing them...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    I’m not sure about that 🤔. Sometimes when you lift your wrist and the watch edge rests on the skin, I imagine the feeling of a square edge 🙄😖. I imagine we need to do the test of taking the square edge of an iPhone 12 and squeezing it against the skin to see if it's comfortable.  Seems like a stupid idea for a Watch…
  • Reply 11 of 28
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I don’t care about the shape as much as I want the bump to flatten. Flat Apple Watch concepts look beautiful.

And no, it’s not gonna dig into your wrist
    especially if it’s lighter.

ApplePoor said:
    If that is the new design, then the easily interchangeable bands become a fond memory. That is a major reason I liked the Apple Watch as I was able to reuse the stainless steel band from version 2 onwards. I am on the second band as the first just wore out the magnetic parts for closure.  I do not see Apple giving up the profitable multi bands for dress, work outs, moods etc.

They may need the pennies coming in if they have to write billion dollar fine cheques to line politicians pockets. 

This complain ALWAYS surfaces. Apple switching to lightning, Apple removing the headphone jack, Apple removing CD-ROM.

Apple tech moves forward.
    doozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 28
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    The render does indeed look slick, but I have a feeling this shape would snag on things: shirt sleeves, backpack straps, long hair, etc.

I think that's why the Apple Watch has always been quite round, to account for this.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The flat design looks more like a tech gadget than a watch, which is why I’m dubious. I always buy the stainless steel AW with leather strap because it looks classy and great while going out to dinner or a show. It’s hard for me to imagine a flat-edged version having the same charm. 
  • Reply 14 of 28
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    Green is the new white. Cars, watches etc
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I hope all the critics here remember everyone's reaction to the design leak of the iPhone 4..

Just a refresher: it was deemed too hideous to be true before it was ultimately declared the Leica of phones.

doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 28
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 834member
    Apple seems to be on a unifying binge lately, with the M1 chip in both iOS and macOS devices and the flat-sided rectangular slab design language also across multiple products--so a flat-sided Apple Watch 7 seems possible and even likely. That said, hard edges worn against the wrist seem like a really bad form over function idea. And in the same way that my flat-edge iPhone 12 Pro Max "feels" significantly thicker and heavier than my rounded-edge 11 Pro Max--even though the differences are actually very slight--I think the flat edges on the Apple Watch will give it a significantly clunkier and less elegant look. 
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    KBuffett said:
    Green is the new white. Cars, watches etc
    Better than car makers idea of space grey you see everywhere these days. 

I think I'd upgrade for this new design. 
  • Reply 18 of 28
    toganltoganl Posts: 8member
    Heading back in time to the square iPod nano with clock face and strap. The watch has a tonne more tech packed into the same size package but the iPod has a headphone jack 😆. 
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tedz98tedz98 Posts: 80member
    Wearing a watch is a very different use case than holding a phone. A watch is strapped to your wrist for 14 or more hours per day. It interacts with your body, your clothing and your environment more than a phone. I assume Apple thought long and hard about these factors in designing the original Apple Watch. To change the design just for stylistic reasons would be a mistake. Function first, then form in my opinion.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    It could be rounded on bottom for comfort but squarer on top. With the same thickness bezel & other dimensions that could allow for a bigger screen.