HBO Max announces $9.99 ad-supported streaming

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited May 2021
The current HBO Max streaming service will gain a lower-price edition that comes with adverts, for $9.99 per month. The $5 discount still prices it above most options from rival streaming companies, including Apple TV+.

HBO Max will offer a cheaper ad-supported subscription starting in June
HBO Max will offer a cheaper ad-supported subscription starting in June

Following its previous announcement that a lower-cost version of streaming service HBO Max would be coming, HBO has now revealed that the service, starting in early June, will cost $9.99 per month.

According to the Wall Street Journal, HBO Max is claiming that there will be fewer ads than on other services. Head of ad sales for owner WarnerMedia reportedly said that the ad load would be the lightest of any streaming service.

Adverts will not appear in all shows. HBO's own programs -- ranging from "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver," through original dramas such as "Succession," and theatrical movies -- will not have ads.

WarnerMedia has not said how many users HBO Max currently has. Combined with its main HBO service, it has revealed that there are 44.2 million subscribers in the US.

The current ad-free $14.99 per month option will remain. The $9.99 version is still priced higher than the majority of the service's rivals.

1. Amazon Prime: $8.99 for TV only, $12.99 for the full service

2. Apple TV+ $4.99

3. Disney+ $7.99

4. Netflix: from $8.99, though the standard is $13.99

5. Peacock: $5 with ads, $10 without

HBO Max's announcement comes shortly after the news that WarnerMedia and Discovery are to create a new streaming media company from their combined services.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh so HBO is Hulu now? The utter arrogance of “offering us the option” to pay to watch commercials... NO WAY. Not Hulu, not HBO, not ANYONE. I'm not PAYING to watch advertisements. They should be paying US for that service. Our time isn’t free.

People need to STOP throwing money at things like this just because “well I can get something instead of nothing”. Exactly how far do you want to let this self-entitled corporate greed BS to go?
    lkruppflyingdpStrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dysamoria said:
    Oh so HBO is Hulu now? The utter arrogance of “offering us the option” to pay to watch commercials... NO WAY. Not Hulu, not HBO, not ANYONE. I'm not PAYING to watch advertisements. They should be paying US for that service. Our time isn’t free.

People need to STOP throwing money at things like this just because “well I can get something instead of nothing”. Exactly how far do you want to let this self-entitled corporate greed BS to go?
    You do you, and let everyone else decide for themselves. Who the hell are you to tell everyone else what to throw their money at just because it’s something you don’t like? Talk about entitled. The market will decide who wins and loses. You don’t like that? Tough shit. 
    sdw2001baconstang
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    dysamoria said:

I think people need to stop telling other people how to spend their money.  If you don't like it, fine.  Post that opinion.  

I don't what "self-entitled corporate greed BS" means.  Warner wants HBOMax to make money.  They want more subscribers.  So they determined it would be a good business decision to offer a low cost tier.  Whether it pays off or not, we'll see.  But it's not "entitled greed" for a company to want to make money.  That's the primary purpose of all businesses.  Why does this make you angry?  
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:

While I support your basic rage against paying to watch commercials I still think people are perfectly capable of making that decision on their own, and many have chosen to go the discounted route. In my own case I always sign up for the higher/premium subscription to avoid commercials. Others choose the lower level.

You can rage all you want to about prices but please don’t go down that slippery slope of government regulation of wages and prices. That has NEVER worked, EVER, in the history of economic systems. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 5 of 12
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I love HBOMAX and will continue paying the full $14.99 fare.
    StrangeDaysurashid
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    lkrupp said:
    dysamoria said:

While I support your basic rage against paying to watch commercials I still think people are perfectly capable of making that decision on their own, and many have chosen to go the discounted route. In my own case I always sign up for the higher/premium subscription to avoid commercials. Others choose the lower level.

You can rage all you want to about prices but please don’t go down that slippery slope of government regulation of wages and prices. That has NEVER worked, EVER, in the history of economic systems. 
    I too agree and also understand the rage about having to pay for something and also getting bombarded with advertisements. It all started back in the early days of satellite radio when the providers promised content and no ads. 
    They quickly reversed that after suffering huge losses I guess from poor management and bad negotiating skills to the content owners. 

These days it’s all about $ervice$. Companies feel like charging you $5 here and $10 there won’t be as bad as say $50-$100 cable or satellite bill. I drop kicked them a decade ago and with the money saved I occasionally get a few months of Hulu/Disney/ESPN or Netflix, or both. I find myself watching a lot of Plutotv which is free and usually has something Decent to watch. AppleTV+ is still something that I have yet to fully warm to, although Ted Lasso to me was very good. 

One thing I definitely noticed on streaming services is the ads have gotten louder which is something the fcc clamped down on over 20 years ago. Well it’s back. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 12
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    Paying for ads would suck for me.  Having HBO Max a bit cheaper at the cost of watching a few ads?  For some it would make sense.  With all the streaming options out there and the increased content hoarding by IP holders... to create more streaming options, cost can ad up quickly.  Everybody has to do a cost benefit analysis to decide what's best for them.

Fortunately for me I have AT&T Internet 1000 so HBO Max is free.  ATV+ is free from Apple.  So is Amazon Prime from, well Amazon.   Hulu is grandfathered free through Sprint.  I got the 3 year deal on Disney+.  Netflix is the only reoccurring bill I have for streaming which might change now that Sprint merged with TMob.  I just haven't gone down the path of figuring out if I can have the free Netflix from TMob along with the free Hulu from Sprint.  ← Has anyone tried to find out if this is possible?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member

Are you sure? Can you cite an economics study to back up this claim? FYI antitrust laws are government regulations too. 
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    5 bucks isn’t worth it to punch myself in the face, several times an hour. 

It is BS that ads are non-skippable, considering they aren’t being broadcast in real time. Let users fast forward and maybe. 
    edited May 2021 dysamoria
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I’m just glad my dad took a tube out of the TV when I was a kid and then told me it was broken and he didn’t know how to fix it.  I got out of the TV habit and more than 45 years later have never fully gotten back in the habit.  

We have Netflix through TMobile. I’ll pay the $3 or whatever T-Mobile passes onto me.  I’d never pay Netflix otherwise.  My kids watch a few things occasionally but I have a million better things to do than sit in front of a TV regularly.  We have ATV+ for free for another month or two.  I don’t think we’ve ever watched anything on it except the Greyhound movie.  We get Amazon prime video free because I  want free fast shipping for my cr*p.   No Other reason to pay for prime.   Video plays no role whatsoever. We do occasionally watch something on it.  Once or twice a month.  The only thing I actually pay for is Disney plus.  But I don’t think I’ll be renewing when the year is up. The wokeness of the company has
    killed any enthusiasm I had for it.  

Almost anything else I have to do is better than wasting it in front of the TV. I can read a book.  I can work on my SW projects.  I can do wood working (I occasionally build solid body bass guitars and electric guitars ).  I can listen to music or practice my Instrument.   I can work with my model railroad projects.  I can do something with the family.  I can do chores around the house.   

I speak only for myself.  Your priorities may and likely are different.  I just am glad my dad got me off the TV habit young and I’ve managed to stay off it for the most part.  Much cheaper and a better use of my time.  
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Japhey said:
    dysamoria said:

You do you, and let everyone else decide for themselves. Who the hell are you to tell everyone else what to throw their money at just because it’s something you don’t like? Talk about entitled. The market will decide who wins and loses. You don’t like that? Tough shit. 
    Ah yes, the free market myth. That’s been working out sooooo well thus far.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dysamoria said:
    Japhey said:
    dysamoria said:

Ah yes, the free market myth. That’s been working out sooooo well thus far.
    Right on…whatever you say, comrade.