New Apple privacy ad highlights App Tracking Transparency

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2021
Apple has shared a new privacy-focused ad highlighting how its App Tracking Transparency feature stops various kinds of tracking on the iPhone.

Credit: AppleCredit: Apple
Credit: AppleCredit: Apple

The ad spot follows an average smartphone user as he goes about his daily routine. Throughout the video, everyday tasks and interactions -- which are meant to reflect common apps -- lead to people collecting more data about him and following him around.

Eventually, the protagonist is surrounded by a large group of people all harvesting his data. But when he pulls out his iPhone and enables ATT, they all begin to disappear.

The ad spot is part of the ongoing "Privacy. That's iPhone" ad campaign, and follows a more explanatory ATT video that was published in late April.

Apple rolled out the ATT in iOS 14.5 as part of a broader privacy push. It's a relatively simple change that requires all apps to obtain permission before they track users across other apps and websites. Although praised by digital rights and privacy groups, the feature has been criticized by advertising-dependent companies like Facebook.

An analytics report from earlier in May indicated that 96% of iPhone users are using ATT to opt out of tracking. A separate survey of smartphone users in the U.S. suggested that the majority support Apple's privacy push, and at least 36% said ATT was their favorite iOS 14.5 feature.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    omasouomasou Posts: 562member
    That's awesome. Really provides a perspective to what's happening with people's data.

The other day I went to a restaurant that I have never been to before. While waiting for my order, I decide to checkout what's on Instagram (I rarely use the app and never comment). Guess what shows up in my feed? An ad for the restaurant that, I am sitting in. If that doesn't give people the hebegebeees then I don't know what will.
    edited May 2021 skippingrockAlex_Vjony0jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    omasou said:
    That's awesome. Really provides a perspective to what's happening with people's data.

The other day I went to a restaurant that I have never been to before. While waiting for my order, I decide to checkout what's on Instagram (I rarely use the app and never comment). Guess what shows up in my feed? An ad for the restaurant that, I am sitting in. If that doesn't give people the hebegebeees then I don't know what will.
    Shiver me timbers 
    Alex_Vjahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 212member
    omasou said:
    If that doesn't give people the hebegebeees then I don't know what will.
    Shiver me timbers 
    Cor blimey.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    omasou said:

yikes, I turno off all location and everything on those socials.

I just don't leave them because in Brazil, many businesses only have information (phone, address or menu) available on social.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    omasouomasou Posts: 562member
    omasou said:

yikes, I turno off all location and everything on those socials.

I just don't leave them because in Brazil, many businesses only have information (phone, address or menu) available on social.
    Dude, I do have ALL that type of stuff off. No access to Photos, etc. It is somehow using information in search, which makes it even scarier. I used Ecosia and Apple Maps to look for restaurants and even still if adds the place to my feed.

Sometimes browsing my feed if I see something of interest instead of clicking on the ad in Instagram, I'll search for the category and that company will return in the search.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    omasou said:

Shiver me timbers 
    Thanks. I just got an ad for Caribbean cruises.
    bikerdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    What is failed to be mentioned, ad revenue for the open internet shrinks YoY because big tech tracks the individual down to the PII level, attracting ad spend that grows YoY. Ad revenue supports a democratized “free” internet that allows the world to access information without exchange for money. By suppressing the open internet from attracting the already shrinking ad spend pie, we will see online business go out of business and create subscription based models. Regressing us back to a society where information is not widely available without monetary exchange. Thanks Apple for spreading misconceptions.

PS - If this campaign is delivered through digital media, which I am sure it will, Apple will be tracking themselves. Lol.
    edited May 2021