How to use HomePod for all TV audio with Apple TV 4 K21

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In your May 21 AppleInsider article, you said “ anything they watch on TV, regardless of its source, will get the full HomePod audio quality.”  this implies that when I watch TV from my satellite, that the resulting audio will be broadcast on my dual HomePod speakers, per your comment. I find this hard to believe, wish it was true, but don’t believe it’s possible. Can you please clarify when you say regardless of its source,

Michael

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    In your May 21 AppleInsider article, you said “ anything they watch on TV, regardless of its source, will get the full HomePod audio quality.”  this implies that when I watch TV from my satellite, that the resulting audio will be broadcast on my dual HomePod speakers, per your comment. I find this hard to believe, wish it was true, but don’t believe it’s possible. Can you please clarify when you say regardless of its source,

Michael

If you have ARC on your television, and your Apple TV with original HomePods as the default audio source connected to that HDMI ARC port, then yes, this is the case.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. ARC is how most soundbars released in the last few years with HDMI connect to televisions.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 2 of 2
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Sounds like I need to get a new AppleTV and give my existing AppleTV to my sister. But first I'm going to check if my old TV supports ARC. Good find.