Hands On: Aurum-Edition Apple Watch is a $6,000 24-karat timepiece

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2021
While the Apple Watch is a premium wearable device, the Aurum-Edition hand-engraved 24-karat gold Apple Watch turns it into an even more valuable and high-end timepiece.

The Aurum-Edition Apple Watch Series 6 is definitely a premium wearable device.
The Aurum-Edition Apple Watch Series 6 is definitely a premium wearable device.

Those who remember the first release of the Apple Watch will know about the Apple Watch Edition. A luxury version of the wearable device, the Apple Watch Edition used 18-karat gold for the main enclosure, and cost consumers at least $10,000 to purchase.

Apple no longer sells the Apple Watch Edition, with well-heeled consumers wanting a premium version having to go down the route of the Hermes variants. You can also get an Apple Watch Series 6 in "Gold," but that refers to the color of the stainless steel case.

If you want to have an actual Apple Watch made of gold, you're going to have to look elsewhere.

Aurum-Edition is a company that leverages its jewelry design and production experience to create premium versions of devices and gadgets, as well as bags and accessories. Naturally, this includes the iPhone 12 Pro, but also the Apple Watch Series 6.

The firm sent AppleInsider one of its $6,000 24-karat models for inspection, a watch made from solid gold. The body of the watch was cast entirely in gold, which was then painstakingly engraved by hand with an intricate pattern.

The details extend not only around the bezel of the face and the sides, but also to the Digital Crown and the side button, which have their own fine patterns.

All of the engraving on this gold Apple Watch is done by hand.
All of the engraving on this gold Apple Watch is done by hand.

For a special device like this, it's naturally a little larger than the typical Apple Watch, due to the considerably expanded bezel. The increased size probably won't be an issue for a potential wearer, as they may want it to be more noticeable as a status symbol.

The premium experience is also in its unboxing, as Aurum-Edition uses a wooden box to present the Apple Watch to its wearer, with the device itself positioned on a cushion. Once you remove the techno-jewelry, you can delve deeper into the box to acquire the charging puck.

Aurum-Edition made the unboxing experience comparable to traditional high-end watches.
Aurum-Edition made the unboxing experience comparable to traditional high-end watches.

Aurum-Edition's move to effectively transplant an Apple Watch from the original enclosure into a solid gold version does introduce some changes to how the Apple Watch functions. There are certainly a few things to bear in mind when using it, but for the most part, it's a typical Apple Watch in normal usage.

For a start, you can't use your existing collection of Apple Watch bands with it, as there are no slots to slide them into. Instead, there are the standard pogo pin-based mounts that normal watches use.

You can't add your Apple Watch Sport Band to this timepiece.
You can't add your Apple Watch Sport Band to this timepiece.

The watch is also supplied with a brown crocodile leather strap, complete with a clasp that matches the Apple Watch engravings, which adds to the premium feel of the timepiece.

Of course, switching the enclosure and replacing the Digital Crown with a gold version also rules out the ability to use the ECG function of the Apple Watch. The main sensor system in the base works just fine, but you cannot use it to take an impromptu ECG.

The engraving is exquisite, but it does mean you can't use the ECG function.
The engraving is exquisite, but it does mean you can't use the ECG function.

Though it does mean this version of the Apple Watch actually does a little less than a regular-priced one, that's not the point of this $6,000 Apple Watch. Nor is it the point of the other models, which include diamonds, sapphires, and yes, one with a Hermes strap.

This gold-encased Apple Watch is a not-so-subtle hint to others of your wealth.
This gold-encased Apple Watch is a not-so-subtle hint to others of your wealth.

This is not meant as a practical Apple Watch for the average user. The Aurum-Edition Apple Watch is thoroughly a status symbol, an item designed to show your wealth. If you can comfortably afford it.

If Hermes variants of the Apple Watch subtly hints to people that you're wealthy, the Aurum-Edition Apple Watch Series 6 positively screams it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple discontinuing the Edition was one of their biggest mistakes ever. Millionaires will just go to 3rd parties(like this one for example) to blow their money.

Poor people always complain about why they can’t afford but Apple should have at least kept the OPTION for those who can afford it. 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Beats said:
    Apple discontinuing the Edition was one of their biggest mistakes ever. Millionaires will just go to 3rd parties(like this one for example) to blow their money.

Poor people always complain about why they can’t afford but Apple should have at least kept the OPTION for those who can afford it. 

Look everybody, some jerk whose taxes aren't nearly high enough!!!!

Apple has enough trouble with their reputation as a company that makes horrible products that only people with more money than brains buy as it is.

The original "Edition" watch was a stupid mistake.  Apple likely only ever sold a few dozen, and probably lost tens of thousands of sales because of it.

Spending seven digits on a watch is stupid, and that's true whether you spend it on an Apple watch or one of those ridiculous Swiss mechanical watches that for some stupid reason (marketing) are still being built in 2021 even though they've been utterly, totally, and completely obsolete for virtually my entire life.

The 1st gen "Idiotion" was a bad idea, and quietly dropping it was an incredibly smart move from Apple.
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 17
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    darkvader said:
    Beats said:

Apple has enough trouble with their reputation as a company that makes horrible products that only people with more money than brains buy as it is.

The original "Edition" watch was a stupid mistake.  Apple likely only ever sold a few dozen, and probably lost tens of thousands of sales because of it.

Spending seven digits on a watch is stupid, and that's true whether you spend it on an Apple watch or one of those ridiculous Swiss mechanical watches that for some stupid reason (marketing) are still being built in 2021 even though they've been utterly, totally, and completely obsolete for virtually my entire life.

The 1st gen "Idiotion" was a bad idea, and quietly dropping it was an incredibly smart move from Apple.
    Sorry,  but calling mechanical Swiss watches ridiculous is not making sense to me.  Why are they ridiculous to you?  There are many people worldwide who wear and/or collect these high end watches.  They may love the style, that you simply can’t get with a computer watch.   The amount of work that goes into making a really high end watch is simply amazing.  Perhaps way more interesting than looking at a circuit board in a mass produced computer watch.  Maybe you should look online for videos of what goes into making those “obsolete” watches.  
    edited May 2021 Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    darkvader said:
    Beats said:

Spending seven digits on a watch is stupid, 
    Yes, and sports teams that spend 7, 8 or 9 digits on athletes are also stupid. Also, producers who pay actors 7, 8 or 9 digits on actors are also stupid.

Maybe you are right, the government should mandate exactly how much everyone should make for everything people do. Hmm, I wonder if there are any countries in the world which have tried this idea? Can you think of any?
    Beatsapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:

If Apple canned it, it wasn't selling enough. "one of their biggest mistakes ever" is up there amongst the stupidest things I've ever heard.
    edited May 2021 Beatsfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 17
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    darkvader said:
    Spending seven digits on a watch is stupid, and that's true whether you spend it on an Apple watch or one of those ridiculous Swiss mechanical watches that for some stupid reason (marketing) are still being built in 2021
    Those same Swiss mechanical watches that work decades after they were released, and don't get made obsolete because they can't install the latest software update?

I have a Seiko Kinetic watch I got in 2004. It still works perfectly well 17 years later. Sure, it doesn't tell me how many steps I've done, but I seem to have managed from 2004 to 2015 without needing to know that. I wear it now once I've completed my daily rings, which means it looks good when I'm out at night at a restaurant or bar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    darkvader said:
    Beats said:

Poor people always think rich people are dumb.

Not the case.

Apple has a reputation for making good products that idiots think are crap. Not sure why you’d call Apple products “horrible”.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    M68000 said:
    darkvader said:
    Beats said:

Sorry,  but calling mechanical Swiss watches ridiculous is not making sense to me.  Why are they ridiculous to you?  There are many people worldwide who wear and/or collect these high end watches.  They may love the style, that you simply can’t get with a computer watch.   The amount of work that goes into making a really high end watch is simply amazing.  Perhaps way more interesting than looking at a circuit board in a mass produced computer watch.  Maybe you should look online for videos of what goes into making those “obsolete” watches.  

I mean they cost what they’re worth. Poor people always criticize things they can’t afford.

That doesn’t bother me as much as the Apple has a reputation for making “horrible products” part.

I don’t understand why the Edition Watch makes people so angry. Especially since those people can’t afford them in the first place.

crowley said:
    Beats said:

If Apple canned it, it wasn't selling enough. "one of their biggest mistakes ever" is up there amongst the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I’ve heard worst from you so I wouldn’t be talking. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    I find this modified Apple Watch incredibly ugly. 
    I don’t care about the price, as one would actually have to pay me (and I mean a lot) to wear such an atrocity!

But well… that’s just me. If someone likes to wear this thing, that’s fine by me, at least I’ll know something about that person… 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 10 of 17
    drdaviddrdavid Posts: 90member
    Beats said:
    darkvader said:
    Beats said:

Poor people always think rich people are dumb.

Not the case.

Apple has a reputation for making good products that idiots think are crap. Not sure why you’d call Apple products “horrible”.
    Yeah, those poors always say that. They should be more sensitive to the plight of rich people. 
    darkvader
  • Reply 11 of 17
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Am I the only one who thinks this is just ... ugly? I don't even mind the price necessarily. Maybe it would look better once the rumored flat-edged Apple Watch 7 is released?
    watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Not only is it ugly but what happens when the Apple Watch design and shape completely changes in the next few years and then this watch is obsolete.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Just plain silly IMHO.  If I want to wear jewelry in the form of a watch I'll get my Rolex out of the drawer  It keeps crap time and has to have a $500 service every few years to keep working but at least it doesn't get outdated by a new and better version every year. ;)
    edited May 2021 watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 14 of 17
    dope_ahminedope_ahmine Posts: 245member
    Heavy . . .
    B) 
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    darkpaw said:

Those same Swiss mechanical watches that work decades after they were released, and don't get made obsolete because they can't install the latest software update?

I have a Seiko Kinetic watch I got in 2004. It still works perfectly well 17 years later. Sure, it doesn't tell me how many steps I've done, but I seem to have managed from 2004 to 2015 without needing to know that. I wear it now once I've completed my daily rings, which means it looks good when I'm out at night at a restaurant or bar.

I have a Seiko M158 that my grandfather got in the 1970s.  It still keeps perfect time, it's far more accurate than a mechanical watch, and the only service it needs is a new battery occasionally. I've also got a Timex Ironman that I got in the '80s, it's essentially identical to one Clinton wore when he was president, and also only needs the occasional battery.  Good watches last at least as long as mechanical watches.

I don't really wear either very often any more, since these days I've got a pocket watch that keeps perfect time and also holds my calendar, contact list, GPS, mileage tracker, music collection, various games, email, web browser, and of course a bunch of other stuff.

I don't have an Apple watch, I can't see myself wearing one, and at this point I don't want to deal with the upgrade cycle.  But I'd get one long before I'd ever consider an obsolete mechanical watch.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    MacPro said:
    Just plain silly IMHO.  If I want to wear jewelry in the form of a watch I'll get my Rolex out of the drawer  It keeps crap time and has to have a $500 service every few years to keep working but at least it doesn't get outdated by a new and better version every year. ;)

That's a perfect example of why I hate mechanical watches.  Keeping one working (and working badly, because they'll never be anywhere as close to as accurate as a quartz watch, let alone a smart watch) frequently requires you to spend more than replacing an Apple watch when it becomes obsolete.

Meh.  I'll just keep using my phone.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Apple Watch Edition very much still exists, with version 6 models, but it’s now only offered with a titanium case and Edition models start at $799

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/edition