Expedia chairman attacks Apple's 'disgusting' 30% commission fee

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    tedz98tedz98 Posts: 80member
    The majority of comments here re: Expedia are missing the point that there are numerous alternatives/competitors to Expedia. With Apple there are no competitors other than Android based platforms. Not really a choice if you see benefits to owning an iPhone. Also the 30% commissions are paid for by the app customers, not really the developers. Tim Cook’s testimony about being concerned about the end user and their safety and experience rings shallow because they are the ones paying the 30% commission through developers such as Epic. It boils down to Apple’s absolute control if not monopoly power over the App Store.
    phonephreak
  • Reply 22 of 69
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    And yet, he doesn’t say anything bad about others who charge the same amount...

It’s a digital retail store. You pay for shelf space and prominent display space. 

This is getting so dumb. 
    Beatsbaconstangcypresstreelkrupph2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 69
    raso said:
    Shows you how little he knows about his own business. Since the Expedia app sells physical goods/services it can use it’s own payments methods and pay nothing other than the $99/year developer fee to Apple.

What would happen if the hotels on Expedia put messages on their pages that said call us directly and save 30%.
    Boom. Great post. 
    Beats[Deleted User]jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It’s funny how they like to call Apple out about the 30%, acting like the other app stores don’t do the EXACT same thing 
    Exactly. If this isn’t a multi corporation collusion to take out Apple I don't know what is. This turd doesn’t say a word about Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Sony charging the exact same commissions.

Again, no matter the outcome of this clown-car show trial the SCOTUS will have this in front of them in about 5 years
    edited May 2021 Beatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 69
    The Expedia chief crook complains that match pays 500 million to be on the App Store. 

But conveniently neglects that match PROFITS 1.5 BILLION... BECAUSE they are on the App Store. 

And then he doesn’t even dare mention the fees his company charges to those represented on Expedia...
    zeus423BeatsDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 69
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    What on earth is Expedia? I actually don’t know because I mostly buy / book stuff directly. Why pay the middlemen?
    I tried Expedia one, mostly to try it out, but also to save a few dollars. At the end of my vacation I wanted to extend my stay by a few more days by adding some time when I visited the hotel's front desk. The hotel wouldn't let me do that (at the same rate) even though they had lots of empty rooms (it seemed to me.) Was this the hotel's fault, or Expedia's? Either way, the fact that I lose flexibility tells me that I shouldn't use Expedia ever again. I like vacations with flexible dates.
    Beatsbaconstang[Deleted User]jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 69
    pmasterpmaster Posts: 10member
    tedz98 said:
    The majority of comments here re: Expedia are missing the point that there are numerous alternatives/competitors to Expedia. With Apple there are no competitors other than Android based platforms. Not really a choice if you see benefits to owning an iPhone. Also the 30% commissions are paid for by the app customers, not really the developers. Tim Cook’s testimony about being concerned about the end user and their safety and experience rings shallow because they are the ones paying the 30% commission through developers such as Epic. It boils down to Apple’s absolute control if not monopoly power over the App Store.
    What do you mean not really a choice?  He can choose to not be on the iOS platform, just like the hotels can choose not to be on the Expedia. 

But hotels are on Expedia and paying those exorbitant fees to attract their customer base, just like Expedia is wanting to attract Apple’s  customer base. 

Really stupid point on Barry’s part. Hope he gets grilled on this issue. 
    tmayBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 69
    KTRKTR Posts: 280member
    It's hard to understand what the subtext of all this criticism is. I almost get the sense that these companies that are piling on Apple might suspect that Apple is going to lose its lawsuit. Or, they somehow believe that all this complaining is actually going to help Apple lose.
    So my impression of this it seems like people want to make money for Apple want to see Apple succeed. Wasn’t for the App Store where would they be selling the software?
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 69
    JFC_PA said:
    Then he can remove his apps from the Apple platform and purchase one of the hundreds of other cellphones available for his own use. 

Problem solved. 
    Agreed!
    zeus423Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 69
    It’s funny how they like to call Apple out about the 30%, acting like the other app stores don’t do the EXACT same thing 
    Exactly
    zeus423BeatsDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 69
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    I hope that Diller-do never tries to get into the food marketing business. If he tries to sell his food products in a grocery store, he’ll have to pay 50% or more commission to the host establishment. Then again, that hypocrite would be used to “exorbitant” fee schemes. And comparing credit card companies and their charges to the fee developers pay to the Apple App Store is like comparing shoelaces to peanut butter.
    pmasterBeats12Strangersh2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 69
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Who gives a flying fuck about Expedia anymore?

"The idea that they actually justify it by saying We spend all this money protecting our little App Store. I mean, it's criminal," said Diller speaking to CNBC. "Well, it will be criminal." 

Diller complained about Apple's "quasi-monopoly," and compared Apple's 30% fee to a credit card company, which would take a fee of around 2% on transactions. "It's irrational, 30%. I mean, it makes no sense," he insisted.

"Criminal"? And he fucking compares is to credit card transaction fees, as if the concepts are even REMOTELY similar? This guy sounds like a massive piece of shit, and either an even bigger liar, or a moron. Also love how all these assholes are foaming at the mouth over Apple's fees, yet haven't said a fucking word about Google's identical fees on Android, even though developers make a much higher ROI on iOS.  

I wonder what this worthless asshole has contributed to anything, besides lining his pockets. Just another worthless, parasitic "chairman" that somehow thinks he's in a position to shit on Apple. 

BeatsDogperson[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 69
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    pmaster said:
    This is so funny….kettle calling the pot black. 

I’m in the hotel business, and I guess it’s not criminal when they charge us 30% commissions for the hotel rooms. Some market they earn up to 50% commissions on each hotel reservation. 
    Not to mention they go and buy up any competition in online bookings to ensure they can hold those margins 

zeus423Dogpersonpmasterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 69
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    tedz98 said:
    I think you’ll find lot of those competitors are owned by Expedia. 
    zeus423Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 69
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The moment the article said "Expedia", I stopped reading.

Expedia is the biggest scam site around.  It's hypocrisy to the max.

Expedia literally stole $800 from me years ago.  F**k them.
    Dogperson[Deleted User]pmasterjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 69
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    slurpy said:
    Who gives a flying fuck about Expedia anymore?

"The idea that they actually justify it by saying We spend all this money protecting our little App Store. I mean, it's criminal," said Diller speaking to CNBC. "Well, it will be criminal." 

Diller complained about Apple's "quasi-monopoly," and compared Apple's 30% fee to a credit card company, which would take a fee of around 2% on transactions. "It's irrational, 30%. I mean, it makes no sense," he insisted.

"Criminal"? And he fucking compares is to credit card transaction fees, as if the concepts are even REMOTELY similar? This guy sounds like a massive piece of shit, and either an even bigger liar, or a moron. Also love how all these assholes are foaming at the mouth over Apple's fees, yet haven't said a fucking word about Google's identical fees on Android, even though developers make a much higher ROI on iOS.  

I wonder what this worthless asshole has contributed to anything, besides lining his pockets. Just another worthless, parasitic "chairman" that somehow thinks he's in a position to shit on Apple. 

I see this everyone vs Apple mentality everywhere. From Internet forums(“Apple hires slaves! LOL”) to lawsuits, conveniently leaving out everyone else and changing facts to make Apple look bad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 69
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tedz98 said:

Again, go rage that Wal-Mart has a monopoly on Wal-Mart if you’re gonna complain. Don’t just exclusively target Apple.

Just some alternatives Expedia can use off the top of my head:

Google Play
    Web browsers: Safari, Opera, Firefox, Edge
    Samsungs knockoff App Store
    Amazon’s forked Android

[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 69
    That’s a pretty disgusting smile he has there. I can’t stand Expedia. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 69
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    well, don't go through Apple, then.  You'll lose potential/existing customers who uses Apple devices, but hey, it's better than paying Apple 30% of those proceeds, right? When Apple first started the AppStore way back when, it was a new source of revenue for all these companies.  They were grateful then... but now that 30% is "disgusting".
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 69
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    I think Barry has jealousy issues…
    that he didn’t think of it first!
    Welcome to ‘Pay to Play.’
    Beatswatto_cobra