Apple starts selling PlayStation DualSense controller

Posted:
in General Discussion
After adding iOS support for Sony's PlayStation 5 DualSense controller in April, Apple this week began to sell the accessory directly through its online storefront.

DualSense

Apple introduced expanded game controller support to its various platforms with the release of iOS 14.5, tvOS 14.5 and macOS 11.3 last month, enabling compatibility with both Sony's PS5 DualSense and Xbox Series X accessories.

In addition to native iOS, tvOS and macOS games, the DualSense can be used to play games streamed from PS4 and PS5 via PS Remote Play. The feature requires a standalone app and PlayStation Network account.

With support now baked in to its operating systems, Apple added the DualSense to its online Apple Store stock this week, selling the controller for $69.95. Apple Store pickup is currently unavailable and orders placed today arrive by May 26 with free shipping.

Apple notes users can take the wireless DualSense on the go for portable gaming thanks to a built-in battery. Charging requires a USB Battery Charging 1.2-compatible wall charger or standard USB 2.0 or 3.0 compatible port found on a PS5 console, Mac, or PC.

Gamers can also shop at Amazon to score a slightly cheaper $67.74 white DualSense. The recently announced black version is available for $69.95, while the red colorway is listed but currently unavailable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I was just thinking how Apple should sell this and the new Xbox controller on their store.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    The catch for console controllers is the battery life. They're not made to be mobile. They're made to be used within a short distance of a plugged box that can recharge them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The catch for console controllers is the battery life. They're not made to be mobile. They're made to be used within a short distance of a plugged box that can recharge them.
    Would be interesting to know if the iPad Pro (with USB-C/Thunderbolt port) would charge the DualSense.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    “...a built-in battery...”

So, the controller is more disposable electronic trash, that has to be repurchased if you wear out the battery before you’re done with the PlayStation... or is it easily serviced to replace it with some standard battery?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dysamoria said:

So, the controller is more disposable electronic trash, that has to be repurchased if you wear out the battery before you’re done with the PlayStation... or is it easily serviced to replace it with some standard battery?
    Pretty easy to find that info dude: Sony DualSense Controller Battery Replacement - iFixit Repair Guide
    [Deleted User]dysamoriafastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 12
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 151member
    Worth noting if batteries are your concern, all XBox controllers have a user accessible battery slot and take standard AAs. I use Eneloop rechargeables with mine. 
    CloudTalkindysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 12
    crowley said:
    Would be interesting to know if the iPad Pro (with USB-C/Thunderbolt port) would charge the DualSense.
    Play them while connected via cable? Probably. Charge them? I wouldn't be completely surprised, but considering that it takes three hours to charge when connected to a plugged PS5...not sure you would end up being pleased with how they charge when connected to an iPad Pro. That's the type of scenario where having something like the Nimbus+ with 50 hours per charge is a sizable advantage.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    neoncat said:
    Worth noting if batteries are your concern, all XBox controllers have a user accessible battery slot and take standard AAs. I use Eneloop rechargeables with mine. 
    Yep.  AA's or rechargeable battery pack.  Never really have to worry about a dead controller no matter where you are.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    PS5 controllers are pretty mobile. The battery lasts over 15 hours on a charge. I can't see a scenario where someone wouldn't be able to recharge the controller after 15 plus hours of use. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    dysamoria said:

I've never had a controller battery wear out. The controller that came with my PS4 on launch day lasted until the PS4 Pro came out. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    dysamoria said:

The batteries in my 2007 PS3 controllers are still working fine, the PS3 itself not so well 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Thanks for the responses on my battery inquiry.