Steve Wozniak sued over alleged 'Woz U' copyright infringement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is being sued for copyright infringement for allegedly taking the idea of producing a tech school bearing his name, a concept that was apparently talked about years before the establishment of "Woz U."

Steve Wozniak

In 2017, Steve Wozniak launched "Woz U," a programming boot camp that offered courses on learning to code. While that effort had complaints of quality issues shortly after launch, it seems that Wozniak is in some legal trouble over an earlier educational effort.

Ralph Reilly, a Connecticut business professor, is suing Wozniak over an alleged failed attempt to set up a similar "tech university" dating back to 2011. Court filings for the lawsuit, reported by Gizmodo and Insider, has Reilly seeking at least $1 million in damages for Wozniak supposedly taking the idea.

Reilly claims Wozniak agreed to create the tech university, which would rely on Wozniak's name and reputation for branding. A claim supposedly proven by an on-camera handshake by the two men in 2011, though apparently, Reilly corresponded with Wozniak via email for months from September 2010.

It is claimed Reilly asked for Wozniak to endorse the launch of the "Woz Institute of Technology," which Wozniak allegedly agreed to via email. At the time of the photography, Reilly allegedly provided Wozniak with a contract to grant an online school in Connecticut the use of the Wozniak name and the "Woz School of Technology."

In a deposition, Wozniak said he didn't remember signing such a document, but apparently didn't dispute the signature on the document.

Not long after the meeting, Wozniak's team moved away from the effort and Reilly. In 2013, when Reilly launched a mock website for the Woz Institute of Technology, Wozniak's manager Ken Hardesty demanded Reilly took the site down and stop contacting Wozniak directly.

After Wozniak launched "Woz U," Reilly was apparently told by the man "You had the right idea. I doubt it would have happened without your initial idea!" When Reilly asked for partial ownership of the project and faced silence, Reilly moved to sue for IP theft and copyright infringement.

Reilly secured copyright protection of the website, which forms part of the copyright lawsuit against Wozniak.

The Apple co-founders team claims that a deal wasn't reached, and the handshake was one of many photo-ops Wozniak takes with fans. Part of his defence is that Wozniak apparently is hands-off about his business affairs, which are instead negotiated by his team.

The lawsuit will take place in Arizona across three days from June 7. Wozniak has been called to testify in court.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    There's a big smell to this.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Poor Woz, not a business brain cell in his head. Great pioneering engineer, lousy entrepreneur and businessman who tends to be taken advantaged of, starting with Steve Jobs. A nice, lovable but gullible guy.
    mike54pulseimagesjony0
  • Reply 3 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    IANAL so I don't know the ins and outs of these things.
    But hasn't Wozniak been doing all sorts of tech educational things over the decades? Then how would this be infringement? Sounds more like one of many initiatives Wozniak has done.
    The guy says his idea was for it to use Wozniak's name, but it's Wozniak's name. How can he sue Wozniak for infringing on the use of his own name? Woz should have the copyright on his own name.
    Ok so there was an attempt to start this sort of thing, but it died ten years ago. Doing something similar a decade later infringes on a completely defunct and moribund idea how?
    Sounds like if this guy really thought he had a case he should have sued Wozniak a decade ago for breach of contract. It just seems like  he thinks that because the deal fell apart a decade ago he has first refusal rights on anything similar Wozniak ever does for the rest of his life. 
    Or am I misreading this?
    edited May 2021 ravnorodompulseimagesapplguybonobob
  • Reply 4 of 16
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    DAalseth said:
    But hasn't Wozniak been doing all sorts of tech educational things over the decades? Then how would this be infringement? Sounds more like one of many initiatives Wozniak has done.
    The guy says his idea was for it to use Wozniak's name, but it's Wozniak's name. How can he sue Wozniak for infringing on the use of his own name? Woz should have the copyright on his own name.
    Ok so there was an attempt to start this sort of thing, but it died ten years ago. Doing something similar a decade later infringes on a completely defunct and moribund idea how?
    Sounds like if this guy really thought he had a case he should have sued Wozniak a decade ago for breach of contract. It just seems like  he thinks that because the deal fell apart a decade ago he has first refusal rights on anything similar Wozniak ever does for the rest of his life. 
    Or am I misreading this?
    The copyright yes, but not the trademark. Even if your real name is "Ronald McDonald", you could not open a diner and call it "McDonalds". Not even if all you serve was sushi. 

To me, it sounds like this guy only got a contract that Woz would get paid (or compensated in some other way) for endorsing the institute that this guy was to set up. Woz was to have nothing to do with its set up. Kind of like how celebrities would lend their names to products they had nothing to do with, other than getting paid for endorsing it. If this guy never set up his "Woz School of Technology" then it's not on Woz, as his agreement only pertains to the use of his name and an endorsement. 

Sound like this guy only suit would pertain to trademark infringement, providing he trademarked "Woz School of Technology". If not, then he's out of luck. And even if he did trademarked the name, it would be hard to prove that consumers would confuse "Woz U" with "Woz School of Technology", when no one ever heard of 'Woz School of Technology" because it never existed. Which to me, this was why he set up a mock website using that name. And then was told to take it down by Woz team. Most likely  because he was not paying Woz for the use of his name.  

In order to retain a trademark, one has to be using it or marketing a product or service with that trademark. This was how Cisco lost their trademark to "iPhone". Even though Apple and Cisco came to some sort of agreement over the trademark, Cisco probably knew they would not win, when they sued Apple for trademark infringement.

https://macdailynews.com/2007/01/12/experts_cisco_lost_rights_to_iphone_trademark_last_year/comment-page-2/  ;
    edited May 2021 DAalsethcg27mac daddy zeeravnorodomsdw2001applguykillroy
  • Reply 5 of 16
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    davidw said:
    Even if your real name is "Ronald McDonald", you could not open a diner and call it "McDonalds". Not even if all you serve was sushi. 

That’s incorrect. 
    You're right. One can not get  copyright of one's name. I knew that much, but I wasn't thinking in line of a copyright for "Steve Wozniak" but that "Woz" could be copyrighted, as it's a name that nearly everyone associates with "Steve Wozniak". But evidently not. 

But what most think as having "copyright" to ones name are probably thinking of the "Right of Publicity", that celebrities and well known people have, with some degrees, in most States. It's not a copyright of ones name or a trademark. But the "Right of Publicity" gives the celebrities and well know people the rights to control the usage of their name and images, even if they don't own a copyright or trademark to them.

https://rightofpublicity.com/brief-history-of-rop
    edited May 2021 killroy
  • Reply 6 of 16
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    @Davidw:  "The copyright yes, but not the trademark. Even if your real name is "Ronald McDonald", you could not open a diner and call it "McDonalds". Not even if all you serve was sushi."

As one sushi restaurant here in San Francisco found out, you can't even call it McSushi, without getting sued.
    crowley
  • Reply 7 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    davidw said:
    Even if your real name is "Ronald McDonald", you could not open a diner and call it "McDonalds". Not even if all you serve was sushi. 

That’s incorrect. 
    You say "that's incorrect" but you don't even cite any thing to back up your point. How is that supposed to be believable?

In fact, you can't even open a hotel called "McSleep." Someone tried it, and McDonald's sued and won. So why do you think this is wrong? Why is the New York Times and the Federal Courts wrong?
    https://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/19/us/mcsleep-loses-to-big-mc.html ;
    Quality Inns International Inc. must stop using the name ''McSleep Inns'' for the economy hotels it plans because the public would believe the hotels were owned by the McDonald's Corporation, a Federal district judge has ruled. The judge, Paul Niemeyer, said Friday that the use of ''Mc'' was a ''deliberate attempt to benefit by the good will and reputation of the giant fast-food chain. The judge granted McDonald's a permanent injuction against the use of the name and gave Quality Inns 30 days to comply.

So you certainly can't open up a diner and call it "McDonald's." You probably can't even call it "McRonald's."

randominternetpersonkillroy
  • Reply 8 of 16
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 603member
    davidw said:
    DAalseth said:
    Or am I misreading this?
    The copyright yes, but not the trademark. Even if your real name is "Ronald McDonald", you could not open a diner and call it "McDonalds". Not even if all you serve was sushi. 

To me, it sounds like this guy only got a contract that Woz would get paid (or compensated in some other way) for endorsing the institute that this guy was to set up. Woz was to have nothing to do with its set up. Kind of like how celebrities would lend their names to products they had nothing to do with, other than getting paid for endorsing it. If this guy never set up his "Woz School of Technology" then it's not on Woz, as his agreement only pertains to the use of his name and an endorsement. 

Sound like this guy only suit would pertain to trademark infringement, providing he trademarked "Woz School of Technology". If not, then he's out of luck. And even if he did trademarked the name, it would be hard to prove that consumers would confuse "Woz U" with "Woz School of Technology", when no one ever heard of 'Woz School of Technology" because it never existed. Which to me, this was why he set up a mock website using that name. And then was told to take it down by Woz team. Most likely  because he was not paying Woz for the use of his name.  

In order to retain a trademark, one has to be using it or marketing a product or service with that trademark. This was how Cisco lost their trademark to "iPhone". Even though Apple and Cisco came to some sort of agreement over the trademark, Cisco probably knew they would not win, when they sued Apple for trademark infringement.

https://macdailynews.com/2007/01/12/experts_cisco_lost_rights_to_iphone_trademark_last_year/comment-page-2/  ;
    How about McDowell's? 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    davidw said:

That’s incorrect. 
    You say "that's incorrect" but you don't even cite any thing to back up your point. How is that supposed to be believable?

In fact, you can't even open a hotel called "McSleep." Someone tried it, and McDonald's sued and won. So why do you think this is wrong? Why is the New York Times and the Federal Courts wrong?
    Quality Inns International Inc. must stop using the name ''McSleep Inns'' for the economy hotels it plans because the public would believe the hotels were owned by the McDonald's Corporation, a Federal district judge has ruled. The judge, Paul Niemeyer, said Friday that the use of ''Mc'' was a ''deliberate attempt to benefit by the good will and reputation of the giant fast-food chain. The judge granted McDonald's a permanent injuction against the use of the name and gave Quality Inns 30 days to comply.

So you certainly can't open up a diner and call it "McDonald's." You probably can't even call it "McRonald's."

I don't know if that's true.  It depends on whether it's likely to cause confusion.  If you simply call it McDonald's Diner and don't use any of their stylized fonts, signage, colors, food names (or similar), you may get away with it.  After all, there are McDonald's businesses all over the place.  More than likely though, McDonalds in going to sue you, and you'll give up because they have the resources and the time to destroy you in court, or at least bankrupt you.  
  • Reply 10 of 16
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    ‘What’s A Matta U?’
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I don't get the idea of using Woz's name (i.e. "Branding") and opening a school that doesn't have really anything to do with him.  It's a bunch of people trying to profit off his name and in the end, I think whatever students sign up for this nonsense will get the shafted.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I heard Woz speak about 7 years ago.
    His ego got in the way of everything he said.
    He couldn't run a university- or have a leadership position in a company - to save his life.
    This guy had an idea- Woz apparently liked it enough to meet with him- and start something before he stopped it.
    Coming back to this guys idea- sorry, he'll have to pay.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sdw2001 said:
    davidw said:

That’s incorrect. 

I don't know if that's true.  It depends on whether it's likely to cause confusion.  If you simply call it McDonald's Diner and don't use any of their stylized fonts, signage, colors, food names (or similar), you may get away with it.  After all, there are McDonald's businesses all over the place.  More than likely though, McDonalds in going to sue you, and you'll give up because they have the resources and the time to destroy you in court, or at least bankrupt you.  
    McDonald's would have trademarks on the names, slogans, logos (some food corporations have trademarks on colour combinations) and many other things. Each of these trademarks is explicitly attached to certain forms of business (eg, food services.) If you attempt to re-use any of those trademarks for your own purposes in the same form of business you are very likely to be noticed and sued by McDonald's. If you try to start a diner using brown and orange as the colour scheme (I'm not making this up), regardless of your diner's name, you are likely to be sued (by the brown and orange trademark holder) and will lose.

If Elon Musk wanted to call his Starship rocket "McDonald's" he'd likely get away with it because the trademark McDonald's is specifically assigned to the food services business, not rocket launch services. When I was younger there were 17 categories of businesses (now it's closer to 50, I think.) I vaguely recall one company called IBM that sold computers and another company called IBM that distributed food. That was okay for both IBM's because they were in different lines of business. They never sued each other.

I suspect that the McSleep hotel chain probably sold food in their hotels, so that would have helped McDonald's win that case.
    killroy
  • Reply 14 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    @Davidw:  "The copyright yes, but not the trademark. Even if your real name is "Ronald McDonald", you could not open a diner and call it "McDonalds". Not even if all you serve was sushi."

As one sushi restaurant here in San Francisco found out, you can't even call it McSushi, without getting sued.
    Getting sued is one thing.  Losing is another (or being able to defend the lawsuit because of the associated costs.)     The legal question is whether it causes confusion.   If it reasonably caused an average person to believe that McSushi was owned by McDonald's and/or if it used similar trade dress (same fonts, an arch, red and yellow), then they would be found to be violating McDonald's trademarks.   But if not, there's a chance they could win.  
  • Reply 15 of 16
    zoetmb said:

Getting sued is one thing.  Losing is another (or being able to defend the lawsuit because of the associated costs.)     The legal question is whether it causes confusion.   If it reasonably caused an average person to believe that McSushi was owned by McDonald's and/or if it used similar trade dress (same fonts, an arch, red and yellow), then they would be found to be violating McDonald's trademarks.   But if not, there's a chance they could win.  
    I'm not sure if "average person" is the correct legal explanation here, I think the threshold is lower than that. It might even be as low as 1%. Because 1% of McDonald's business is a whole lot of money.

But bear in mind that if Apple doesn't sue McSushi, then other companies will pop up and use McSushi's victory as claim for their use of words like "McFish", "McHotDog", "McRestaurant," etc. McDonald's is required to fight infractions else they actually lose traction on their trademark.

Any inaction on trademark infractions makes McDonald's lose traction.  --  If the glove don't fit, you must acquit.