Apple stops online sales of Hermes AirTag, possibly over quality problems

Posted:
in General Discussion
The online Apple Store has temporarily stopped selling the Hermes AirTags in the United States, in what could be a precautionary measure over potential quality issues.

Visitors to the online version of the Apple Store are not able to buy any of the AirTag Hermes products on Monday, with all three items listed as "currently unavailable." This includes the $349 key ring, the $299 bag charm, and the $449 luggage tag models.

The website doesn't mention why the premium model is unavailable at this time, but the phenomenon isn't limited to just the United States. AppleInsider checks found that both the luggage tag and key ring versions aren't available in the UK and France, yet the bag charm continues to be sold in those markets.

The lack of availability applies to all color variations of the affected models, which may be more a sign of a product-related issue than one of simply selling out of stock.

Apple doesn't state why the items are unavailable, but it may be due to quality problems. According to 9to5Mac, one reader's keyring came undone at the metal post. Calls to AppleCare secured a replacement, but on arriving at the store one day later, the replacement was unavailable.

Other accessories for the AirTag sold by Apple directly remain available to purchase.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    andyringandyring Posts: 54member
    A $450 luggage tag?!?

A fool and his money are soon parted...
    pscooter63bonobobchemengin1caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 14
    CiaranFCiaranF Posts: 23member
    Maybe cos they’re a complete and utter rip off and no one bought them? Scandalous price to ask or pay even. 
    dysamoriabonobobchemengin1caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 14
    CiaranF said:
    Maybe cos they’re a complete and utter rip off and no one bought them? Scandalous price to ask or pay even. 
    That's the point of the entire fashion industry. Nike makes $3.00 shoes but charges $300, ETC. People want the brand.And for the uber rich price doesn't matter. See Jeff 'Bozo' and his gazillion dollar anything. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    At THOSE prices, there should be NO quality control issues. Also at those prices, no one should ever buy those damned things.
    mainyehcpscooter63bonobobchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 14
    "Apple doesn't state why the items are unavailable, but it may be due to quality problems so we will just speculate wildly."

Fixed the article. 

• Reply 6 of 14
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Finally sold the only 1 they had in stock.
    mainyehcchemengin1byronl
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    dysamoria said:
    At THOSE prices, there should be NO quality control issues. Also at those prices, no one should ever buy those damned things.
    And, indeed, almost no one does, they are Veblen goods. They are only profitable at such small runs because the 1% can afford them. But I agree with you, absolutely no one should.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    dysamoria said:
    Where does it say it was confirmed to be a quality issue?  

Media sites (including AI) taking a guess and running with it.  Long gone are the days of publishing actual news.  It’s just a race to be first for the sake of web clicks.
    pscooter63Japheyapplguymuthuk_vanalingambyronlfred1
  • Reply 9 of 14
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    CiaranF said:
    You're obviously not the target customer since the price is not an issue for people who can afford these.  It doesn't really matter how you feel about the price.
    edited May 2021 byronl
  • Reply 10 of 14
    602warren602warren Posts: 65member
    andyring said:
    A $450 luggage tag?!?

While I agree with your sentiment - that’s like saying $100,000 for a car?! You can buy a Civic for 1/5 that cost and it gets you from A to B just the same.  Sure, but that $100k car is a Porsche 911 and I’m not buying it because its a ‘car’, I’m paying $100k to make a statement everywhere I go. People aren’t spending $450 for a luggage tag, they’re spending $450 to make the statement they can afford to pay $450 for a luggage tag and/or they have exquisite taste.   (No, I dont drive a Porsche)
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    andyring said:
    A $450 luggage tag?!?

It amazes me that people still have no idea how the fashion industry works at all and act surprised at the pricing on designer trinkets like this, as if it's something new and outlandish. Hermès makes a ladies' wallet clutch that's nearly TEN GRAND. They sell earrings that are $40K. Their AirTags accessories are probably some of the cheapest items they make.
    caladanian602warrenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    602warren said:

Sure, but that $100k car is a Porsche 911 and I’m not buying it because its a ‘car’, I’m paying $100k to make a statement everywhere I go. 
    And that statement is...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    If you don't like the price, just get these, they're $33 and look exactly the same.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093P86QFX/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    andyring said:
    A $450 luggage tag?!?

Then why do you buy a $1000 phone when there are lots available for much less?
    602warrenwatto_cobra