Expedia chairman attacks Apple's 'disgusting' 30% commission fee

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,309member
    And I think its disgusting that hotels charge hundreds of dollars for for clean sheets and a shower. Next.
    Clean sheets if you’re lucky. 
    You have to perform an autopsy on your bed to make sure the sheets, pillowcases and bedspread are clean, there isn’t any body fluid residue, and no bed bugs on the mattress under the sheets, the headboard and the drawers in the bedside tables. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 69
    MicDorseyMicDorsey Posts: 100member
    Oh!! And his wife, Diane Von Furstenberg, prices her products so the "little people" can afford them. I just found a DVF floral print dress at Nieman-Marcus for the low-low price of $448.

Barry Diller is such a f***ing hypocrite.
    baconstangKTRDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 69
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I didn't think hotel booking apps used the Apple In-App purchases infrastructure. I mostly use Hotels.com, and I'm pretty sure that charges my credit card directly, and not via my Apple ID. You're only required to use In-App purchases for digital goods, not for physical items. That's why Amazon's app will happily sell you a physical book, but not the Kindle version. Does a hotel booking or holiday experience count as a physical item? Maybe not, but all the other apps I use for making that kind of booking avoid the In-App infrastructure, so I don't know what Expedia is doing differently.
    h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 69
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    raso said:
    Shows you how little he knows about his own business. Since the Expedia app sells physical goods/services it can use it’s own payments methods and pay nothing other than the $99/year developer fee to Apple.

What would happen if the hotels on Expedia put messages on their pages that said call us directly and save 30%.
    Beautiful! Thank you for the perfect answer to Diller.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 69
    No fan of the dating sites but they are right here.  Take Apple's model and apply it to any other marketplace and it's obvious how ridiculous it is.  Imagine if Best Buy copied the App Store terms.  If you buy an iPad at Best Buy Apple couldn't mention that you can sign up for Apple Music or iCloud or Apple Arcade or any of the other services.  You'd have to go back to Best Buy to purchase those services so they could extract a cost despite providing absolutely nothing to Apple other than than the forced payment processing.  Of course all of us would consider that kind of behavior to be insane.  But when it's Apple doing it...  We defend it?  That's crazy.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    What on earth is Expedia? I actually don’t know because I mostly buy / book stuff directly. Why pay the middlemen?
    I tried Expedia one, mostly to try it out, but also to save a few dollars. At the end of my vacation I wanted to extend my stay by a few more days by adding some time when I visited the hotel's front desk. The hotel wouldn't let me do that (at the same rate) even though they had lots of empty rooms (it seemed to me.) Was this the hotel's fault, or Expedia's? Either way, the fact that I lose flexibility tells me that I shouldn't use Expedia ever again. I like vacations with flexible dates.
    This entire post says zero about the topic. Your pissy that you couldn’t change the your check out day.  Like Expedia has anything to do with this.  Nice try in indirectly blaming Expedia. Sounds like the hotel didnt want you in the hotel for extra days. Lol
  • Reply 67 of 69
    hucom2000 said:
    Have you looked at his photo up close??

It’s like his right eye (left when looking at the photo) is inviting you to have a drink with him, while the other eye is - at the same time! - waiting for an opportunity to pounce and kill you.

Statistically speaking, a lot of people in positions of power are sociopaths… I’m not a expert, nor do I know him, but he freaks the s**t out of me.
    I feel that way about Tim.  Creepy guy. 
  • Reply 68 of 69
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    What on earth is Expedia? I actually don’t know because I mostly buy / book stuff directly. Why pay the middlemen?
    I tried Expedia one, mostly to try it out, but also to save a few dollars. At the end of my vacation I wanted to extend my stay by a few more days by adding some time when I visited the hotel's front desk. The hotel wouldn't let me do that (at the same rate) even though they had lots of empty rooms (it seemed to me.) Was this the hotel's fault, or Expedia's? Either way, the fact that I lose flexibility tells me that I shouldn't use Expedia ever again. I like vacations with flexible dates.
    This entire post says zero about the topic. Your pissy that you couldn’t change the your check out day.  Like Expedia has anything to do with this.  Nice try in indirectly blaming Expedia. Sounds like the hotel didnt want you in the hotel for extra days. Lol
    If you re-read my post I was responding to a user's comment, not to a comment in the article. You've got four fingers pointing at yourself.
  • Reply 69 of 69
    If you re-read my post I was responding to a user's comment, not to a comment in the article. You've got four fingers pointing at yourself.
    Lol.  Sure.