Apple VP talks Apple TV 4K, commitment to future home audio products

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

elijahg said:
    entropys said:
    He also covered the redesigned Siri Remote. Although some rumors suggested that Apple would add Find My support for the accessory, Twerdahl says that wasn't necessary because of the design changes made to the remote.
    "With the changes we've made to the Siri Remote - including making it a bit thicker so it won't fall in your couch cushions as much - that need to have all these other network devices find it seems a bit lower," he said.
    The redesigned remote also nixes both the accelerometer and the gyroscope, meaning that it can't be used as a game controller. Twerdahl says that's because Apple believes "a dedicated game controller is the best experience" for users wanting to play a game. Apple initially required all Apple TV games to support the Siri Remote, but that policy has since been changed.
    In non marketing crafted language that means: we had a margin target and to achieve it we had to ditch bits. Note there is no Apple game controller to substitute (probably a good thing tbh).
    Nonsense. Apple doesn’t need to recreate the game controller any more than it needs to recreate the printer — just buy one of the many options and start playing. 
    Like it didn't need to recreate the remote (any old remote would have been fine surely) or recreate the smartphone, or recreate the tablet, MP3 player, watch? Should have just bought one of the many non-Apple options and put up with it.
    Yes, because a game controller, an accessory to another devices, is absolutely at the same level as a smartphone, tablet, mp3 player or smart watch all of which require an OS to function. Yep, no false equivalence on your part at all .... not in the slightest. 
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 22 of 29
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

elijahg said:
    entropys said:
    He also covered the redesigned Siri Remote. Although some rumors suggested that Apple would add Find My support for the accessory, Twerdahl says that wasn't necessary because of the design changes made to the remote.
    "With the changes we've made to the Siri Remote - including making it a bit thicker so it won't fall in your couch cushions as much - that need to have all these other network devices find it seems a bit lower," he said.
    The redesigned remote also nixes both the accelerometer and the gyroscope, meaning that it can't be used as a game controller. Twerdahl says that's because Apple believes "a dedicated game controller is the best experience" for users wanting to play a game. Apple initially required all Apple TV games to support the Siri Remote, but that policy has since been changed.
    In non marketing crafted language that means: we had a margin target and to achieve it we had to ditch bits. Note there is no Apple game controller to substitute (probably a good thing tbh).
    Nonsense. Apple doesn’t need to recreate the game controller any more than it needs to recreate the printer — just buy one of the many options and start playing. 
    Like it didn't need to recreate the remote (any old remote would have been fine surely) or recreate the smartphone, or recreate the tablet, MP3 player, watch? Should have just bought one of the many non-Apple options and put up with it.
    Yes, because a game controller, an accessory to another devices, is absolutely at the same level as a smartphone, tablet, mp3 player or smart watch all of which require an OS to function. Yep, no false equivalence on your part at all .... not in the slightest. 
    Ok, what about their own keyboards, mice, headphones and other accessories they “recreated”? And they “re”created a remote too, just it was crap. If they can do that, they can create a game controller. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 23 of 29
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    entropys said:
    Features required for a perfect Apple soundbar

Sound quality of a Sonos Arc
    Audio pass through
    Dolby atmos
    spacial audio
    bluetooth 5.2
    wifi
    airplay 2
    detachable power cord
    more than one hdmi 2.1 port.
    homekit hub
    built in ATV
    ATV remote
    usb-c port for memory stick or external drive connection (yeah, dream on)
    Optional extras: Wireless rear speakers and subwoofer

Possibly add a FaceTime camera for a gimmick. Need some software trickery to make the picture not look like it is looking up peoples’ noses.

this would of course, cost more than $1000.
    I’m thinking along those lines, but Apple doesn’t make Swiss Army knifes.  It relies on a constellation of interconnected devises each delivering discrete solutions.  As a result

*FaceTime camera will be built into the Apple 40” miniLED monitor.  
    *Apple TV would be separate, perhaps including a HomeKit hub if they ever get serious about HomeKit.
    *Subwoofer will not be an accessory, but built into the sound bar.  
    *Rear speakers would be supplied by slaving mini HomePods to the sound bar.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    I’ll just add, I don’t want myth looking back at me.  Neither do I want a disembodied assistant listening in on my families conversations.  We have not enabled Siri on any of our devices and I don’t imagine we ever will.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    entropys said:

I honestly dont get the fauxrage about not having the remote in Find My — how hard is it to lift up the seat cushions? It’s not like you’re going to be driving across town trying to find your TV remote.
    Do you have young children? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 29
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 95member
    I’m not at all impressed with the answers about the remote or the audio. Hell the box prominently features a full size HomePod icon on the back. They should have just dropped the price and kept making it. 

As for the remote not having find my functionality. I feel like the answer given is stupid and lazy. You go through all this work to design UWB, and NOT add it to the remote. Lazy. 

The redesigned remote I don’t like at all. I don’t like the click of the buttons. I don’t like how the black plastic feels nor how it picks up oils from the fingers. Makes it look dirty very quickly. Don’t even get me started on the scroll wheel jumping back and forth.

Sometimes Apple releases something like this remote that is an embarrassment to their design team. Sometimes they make stupid decisions that create inconsistencies for customers. It doesn’t happen often. But this remote. Yuck. 
    williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 29
    ireland said:
    The stars are aligning where Apple eventually makes a TV. 
    I used to want an Apple branded television, back when steve jobs was enthusiastic about the idea, but the i came to realize that television margins are razor thin and there really isn't anything that Apple would do that would differentiate themselves in the market.   One of apple's biggest strengths is efficiency in the supply chain.  example: iMac boxes are oddly shaped so they can put one right side up and another upside down right next to each other which enables them to fit more iMacs in a container.  they got rid of the keyboard and mouse and power brick for the Mac Mini which let them ship a tiny computer in a tiny box.  the profits on a Mac Mini and an iMac are already pretty good so that just adds to the bottom line.  A TV barely makes any money and they take up a LOT of room on shipping containers and in warehouses and in a retail store and are obnoxious to deliver.  Let other folks deal with that drama and just ship a quality user interface (in a form factor that can be upgraded every few years while the TV itself can live out its useful lifetime (my oldest working tv right now is about 11 years old and I've never used a single "feature" on it.  I just connected any relevant devices to it and did everything i needed through those.

On that note, the ideal TV for me is a dumb box that has nothing but a power button and an input selection button.  I don't even want built-in speakers in my ideal TV.  i don't want to be able to change channels on it.  i don't even want to be able to adjust the picture on it (I realized that was actually possible a couple days ago when i tried to calibrate my old Apple TV 4K and it said that it was "not required" due to my TV having "Dolby Vision"... i hadn't realized that was a thing, but i was pretty stoked about it)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    entropys said:

I honestly dont get the fauxrage about not having the remote in Find My — how hard is it to lift up the seat cushions? It’s not like you’re going to be driving across town trying to find your TV remote.
    When you have kids that have a tendency to take the remote out of the TV room and leave it in the most obscure and interesting places, the necessity becomes apparent.  I’ll be attaching an airtag to the next remote using epoxy…
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 29
    entropys said:
    Features required for a perfect Apple soundbar

Sound quality of a Sonos Arc
    Audio pass through
    Dolby atmos
    spacial audio
    bluetooth 5.2
    wifi
    airplay 2
    detachable power cord
    more than one hdmi 2.1 port.
    homekit hub
    built in ATV
    ATV remote
    usb-c port for memory stick or external drive connection (yeah, dream on)
    Optional extras: Wireless rear speakers and subwoofer

Possibly add a FaceTime camera for a gimmick. Need some software trickery to make the picture not look like it is looking up peoples’ noses.

this would of course, cost more than $1000.
    I have just bought a brand new tv 4k so an Apple soundbar with built in tv would definitely not be ideal. I have cameras in my iPhone, iPad and MacBook. If Apple is planning on releasing a soundbar then the market is primarily Apple users who already have one or more Apple products. If Apple has learnt one thing from the HomePod it is that their audio market is a niche market and they need to address it accordingly.
    edited June 2021