Apple releases tvOS 14.6 update to the public

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released the tvOS 14.6 update to the public, one which introduces bug fixes and performance improvements.

Siri Remote

The update can be installed automatically on a fourth-generation Apple TV or Apple TV 4K. A manual update can be performed by accessing the Settings app and selecting System, then Software Updates, followed by Update Software then by the Download and Install option.

No features were revealed in the betas for tvOS 14.6, but it is anticipated to have various performance improvements and bug fixes. As part of this, the release is also anticipated to support the updated Apple TV 4K and new Siri remote, which has in-store availability from May 21.

The previous tvOS 14.5 update added more obvious features, including support for PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X game controllers and a new Color Balance tool. The latter feature enables the video output for an Apple TV to be customized to the connected television, by using an iPhone to monitor the image.

It is highly likely that the update will include some behind-the-scenes elements to prepare for the launch of Apple Music Lossless, which is arriving in June.

The update arrived after four beta generations. The previous update, tvOS 14.5, arrived on April 26.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Not available yet for me 😞
  • Reply 2 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Now if only YoutTube would ditch their crap console port and go back to a native tvOS app that actually was designed for the ATV touch interface rather than click buttons. Until they do, things like the native video player & controls, and the new Jog Dial functions will continue to not work.
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    My gen 2 Apple TV 4K arrived last Friday. It was running iOS 14.5 and worked fine so 14.6 isn’t needed for that device. So your statement that 14.6 provides support makes me wonder if there is anything specific that 14.6 provides that’s not in 14.?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 95member
    Still didn’t fix the remote issues
  • Reply 5 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Now if only YoutTube would ditch their crap console port and go back to a native tvOS app that actually was designed for the ATV touch interface rather than click buttons. Until they do, things like the native video player & controls, and the new Jog Dial functions will continue to not work.
    Haven't really dug into it yet, but there was an updated YouTube app when I was watching something today. Noted welcome change was the Search screen includes recent searches you can click on instead of saying the same shit into the Siri remote every day (in my case, "Stephen Colbert").
  • Reply 6 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iadlib said:
    Still didn’t fix the remote issues
    I bought the new TV 4K and love the new remote. I am experiencing no issues with navigation as has been reported. Maybe I just adapt better.
    edited May 2021