Utah Jazz head coach considers 'Ted Lasso' required viewing

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Quin Snyder, head coach of the NBA's Utah Jazz, is apparently a fan of Apple TV+ exclusive "Ted Lasso" and says the show should be required watching for colleagues in his profession.

Ted Lasso

Snyder invoked Apple's hit comedy in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune sportswriter Andy Larsen, saying the team needs to forge ahead after falling to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 1 of a first round playoff series.

"You know if you watch Ted Lasso,' Andy, that sometimes -- what, your favorite animal is the goldfish because it has a memory of ten seconds, and that's where we need to be. We need to be moving forward and thinking about game two," Snyder said, referencing All-Star guard Donovan Mitchell's return from injury.

"It should be required watching for coaches," Snyder joked of "Ted Lasso."

Since its debut last year, the Apple TV+ series has garnered critical praise for its witty writing and heartwarming message. Lead actor Jason Sudeikis won a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild best actor awards for his turn as Lasso.

Adapted from an idea originally created for an NBC Sports ad campaign, "Ted Lasso" tells the unlikely underdog story of an American football coach who is brought on to lead a soccer club in England.

The series, which preaches optimism, respect and positivity, was picked up for a third season in October. Season two of "Ted Lasso is scheduled to air on Apple TV+ on July 23.
Beats

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    zhtfreakzhtfreak Posts: 31member
    I loled at that comment during his press conference. Never expected it would be picked up here. 

I couldn't get in to the show though. Why does every comedy now have to have language and crude humor? Sigh. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    For all mankind is amazing. Better than anything on Netflix or Disney by mile
    randominternetpersonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    zhtfreak said:
    I couldn't get into the show though. Why does every comedy now have to have language and crude humor? Sigh. 
    Rude words? I don't remember that. So I just re-watched two episodes. And I carefully counted all the rude words. Yes, there were 20 rude words per 35 minute episode. (The exact number would depend on whether you are British or American, which have different rude words.) That's 1 rude word every 2 minutes. That's a lot higher than the Snoopy Show, for sure.

Rewatching it reminded me how the final shot of the final episode was abso-xxx-lutely hilarious. Pure gold.
    edited May 2021 Japhey
  • Reply 4 of 9
    OwlBundy said:
    Who cares what shows that guy likes. 
    It's noteworthy that a professional coach (Coach of the year finalist; coach of the team with the best record during the regular season) is suggesting that a comedy show can teach his colleagues something of professional value.

If he was recommending it because it's a funny show then your comment would be relevant.
    Beatssconosciutowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    He "joked" that it should be required viewing. Significant difference versus the headline. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    He "joked" that it should be required viewing. Significant difference versus the headline. 
    But he was obviously a big fan of the show himself
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Doval said:
    For all mankind is amazing. Better than anything on Netflix or Disney by mile
    I have to challenge that. The Umbrella Academy has been thoroughly enjoyable.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I enjoyed how the assistant coach brushed up on his soccer tactics in episode one by reading Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. Probably my favourite sports book of all time.