Rumor: New MacBook Pro to debut at WWDC 2021

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Japhey said:
    Marvin said:
    netrox said:
    I just hope they don't bring HDMI port back. It's damn ugly and ruins the esthetics of MacBooks. I can see how SDHX port can look good - easy to make it the sides "rounded" But a HDMI port is hideous. 
    They could use mini-HDMI, here it is (middle) next to USB-C (top) and there's a micro-option:
    Then everyone would complain they still need an adapter, so it doesn’t really solve their “problem”. 
    Why would they need an adapter? They could just use a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. No adapter needed. 
    Then why not simply use a USB-C to HDMI cable ? You don't even need an adapter. USB-C support HDMI transmission via the USB Alt-Mode specification
    williamlondonMplsPfastasleeproundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mrleblanc said:
    Japhey said:
    Marvin said:
    netrox said:
    I just hope they don't bring HDMI port back. It's damn ugly and ruins the esthetics of MacBooks. I can see how SDHX port can look good - easy to make it the sides "rounded" But a HDMI port is hideous. 
    They could use mini-HDMI, here it is (middle) next to USB-C (top) and there's a micro-option:
    Then everyone would complain they still need an adapter, so it doesn’t really solve their “problem”. 
    Why would they need an adapter? They could just use a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. No adapter needed. 
    Then why not simply use a USB-C to HDMI cable ? You don't even need an adapter. USB-C support HDMI transmission via the USB Alt-Mode specification
    Why are you asking me?  Ask the person that brought up the mini-HDMI in the first place. It was to their idea that I was responding, and I’ve already admitted I was wrong. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 52
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    mrleblanc said:
    Japhey said:
    Marvin said:
    netrox said:
    Because HDMI is the most common video connection around. USB C is not.  you can find a HDMI cable pretty much anywhere; USB C - HDMI cables in contrast are fairly hard to find. I just looked at best buy - all I found were USB C-HDMI (female) adapters, meaning you still need a HDMI cable anyway.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 52
    MplsP said:
    A 16” M1 (or M2?) MBP would be killer. I’m really hoping this rumor is true!
    Not an M1 as covered in the article.
    Where does it say that?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Marvin said:
    netrox said:

Or you can just use a USB-C to HMDI cable! Or USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I tend to carry a small USB-C hub for the wide range of stuff that is still out there: HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-A, VGA, ethernet, card slots, and all of the mini, micro and the other long list of variants out there. Makes no sense to put all that on a laptop, when most people will barely use most of them. If you cannot remember to bring your USB-C hub on the go, you'll probably forget your power supply, wallet and keys too.
    williamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Marvin said:
    netrox said:

Or you can just use a USB-C to HMDI cable! Or USB-C to DisplayPort cable. I tend to carry a small USB-C hub for the wide range of stuff that is still out there: HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-A, VGA, ethernet, card slots, and all of the mini, micro and the other long list of variants out there. Makes no sense to put all that on a laptop, when most people will barely use most of them. If you cannot remember to bring your USB-C hub on the go, you'll probably forget your power supply, wallet and keys too.
    I'm not saying they should add an HDMI port, I think it's great Apple is driving USB-C adoption but if they wanted to add a standard display port for whatever reason, it wouldn't have to be a full sized HDMI port. Apple tries to accommodate the needs of their users. If they are getting feedback from people who do presentations of some kind and are asking for HDMI then they might decide to add an HDMI port. If they added the port, it doesn't negatively affect people who use a USB-C adapter, people can use whatever works best for them.
    commentzillawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    A 16” M1 (or M2?) MBP would be killer. I’m really hoping this rumor is true!
    Not an M1 as covered in the article.
    Where does it say that?
    Uh, right here:
    "Both processors will feature eight high-performance cores and two energy-efficient cores. The 10-core processors could also include 16 or 32 graphic options. They may support up to 64GB of unified RAM."
    The video Prosser put out today says he hears it'll be the M1X but regardless of what it's branded as, the above rumors suggest it's not the same chip in the existing lineup.
    edited May 2021 williamlondonroundaboutnowsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    commentzilla said:
    If you cannot remember to bring your USB-C hub on the go, you'll probably forget your power supply, wallet and keys too.
    Exactly. They have little USB-C to HDMI keychains, and if it were my job to give presentations regularly I'd just have one of those on me at all times. Anyone complaining about forgetting stuff that's required for their job, well not sure that's Apple's problem.

I'll take the HDMI port return if it doesn't reduce the number of other TB3 ports, I'll never ever use it but it won't offend me by being there. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 52
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    commentzilla said:
    If you cannot remember to bring your USB-C hub on the go, you'll probably forget your power supply, wallet and keys too.
    Exactly. They have little USB-C to HDMI keychains, and if it were my job to give presentations regularly I'd just have one of those on me at all times. Anyone complaining about forgetting stuff that's required for their job, well not sure that's Apple's problem.

I'll take the HDMI port return if it doesn't reduce the number of other TB3 ports, I'll never ever use it but it won't offend me by being there. :)
    While the sensationalist internet punditry likes to present a hell on earth that looks like this

Real professionals will find an elegant solution like this for home/office use, where with just one cable you get power and all the legacy ports your heart desires

Or if you don't want to pay Thunderbolt prices, maybe something like this will do the trick.

It even has a VGA port. 

But in the end, the 1st image above generates clicks while the latter two are just boring SOLUTIONS. 
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondonmattinozrandominternetpersonRayz2016watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 30 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

While the sensationalist internet punditry likes to present a hell on earth that looks like this

Real professionals will find an elegant solution like this for home/office use, where with just one cable you get power and all the legacy ports your heart desires

Or if you don't want to pay Thunderbolt prices, maybe something like this will do the trick.

It even has a VGA port. 

But in the end, the 1st image above generates clicks while the latter two are just boring SOLUTIONS. 
    Boring solutions that can end up costing a fair chunk on top of your MacBook price, take up a load of space in your bag, and because of the port layout end up making a cable mess.

I say that as a CalDigit TB3 Hub user, who also has an Anker 5 port dongle for away from  home work.  They're both great bits of kit, but if I could get the ports on a MacBook I'd definitely prefer it that way.
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingamirelandMplsP
  • Reply 31 of 52
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

Boring solutions that can end up costing a fair chunk on top of your MacBook price, take up a load of space in your bag, and because of the port layout end up making a cable mess.

I say that as a CalDigit TB3 Hub user, who also has an Anker 5 port dongle for away from  home work.  They're both great bits of kit, but if I could get the ports on a MacBook I'd definitely prefer it that way.
    A fair chunk? The TB3 dock $299 the USBC hub $99. The combinations are too numerous to mention here and the prices vary anywhere from $49 to $349. You only buy what you need. 

As for the cable mess you speak of, connecting 5 peripherals total, sticking out from the sides of your laptop does not create one? 

fastasleepwilliamlondonwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 32 of 52
    verne araseverne arase Posts: 460member
    Hope they bring out a 16" replacement with mini-LED.

I'd be in a real quandary if mini-LED was delayed until 2022.

I'd probably have to buy a mid tier M2 MacBook Pro and sell it when the mini-LED 16" replacement arrived after another year (sound of fingers drumming on tabletop).

I'd want a better display and camera, but probably don't need the super compute engine (though the 32 core GPU would sure be nice for game play) and the machine would probably be great for video transcode and I could always send the product over the network to the array on the iMac.

Then again, what are the chances I'd be using the beast outside? Never did before.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 52
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Japhey said:
    Marvin said:
    netrox said:
    Ffs then why not just use a USB4 to HDMI mini cable? The whole point of using full size HDMI is because it is the standard and those cables and ports are in use everywhere. Full size HMDI or GTFO.
    MplsPrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 52
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

A fair chunk? The TB3 dock $299 the USBC hub $99. The combinations are too numerous to mention here and the prices vary anywhere from $49 to $349. You only buy what you need. 

As for the cable mess you speak of, connecting 5 peripherals total, sticking out from the sides of your laptop does not create one? 
    I know how much my hubs cost thanks.  Point is, if the ports had been on my MacBook I wouldn't have needed to buy them, and probably wouldn't have, saving myself a significant amount of money.

Cables that all stick out from the side of your laptop are easy to manage, can even be cable tied together possibly.  Take a look at the UtechSmart hub that you posted a picture of.  If it's fully loaded then cables will be splayed out in all directions, making a mess.
    MplsP
  • Reply 35 of 52
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

I know how much my hubs cost thanks.  Point is, if the ports had been on my MacBook I wouldn't have needed to buy them, and probably wouldn't have, saving myself a significant amount of money.

Cables that all stick out from the side of your laptop are easy to manage, can even be cable tied together possibly.  Take a look at the UtechSmart hub that you posted a picture of.  If it's fully loaded then cables will be splayed out in all directions, making a mess.
    The ability to have a single cable to your laptop that provides power and breaks out several cables you'd otherwise be plugging and unplugging every time you switch locations is a life changing thing for the positive. Not sure why you'd fight that.
    thtroundaboutnowwilliamlondonthedbawatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 36 of 52
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

Look, I totally get the need for different ports. I use many of them myself. 
    But while you may consider HDMI an esssential port, someone else may need USBA and someone further down the road, Ethernet. And let’s not forget the SD card slot. 
    You see where this is going?
    Apple made the decision back in 2016, to give users the most versatile port in the industry, TB3. In fact the higher end models have 4 of them, 2 on each side.
    An HDMI port can only be used for one signal. There’s no such adapter as HDMI to Ethernet. Same for SD card slot. There’s no SD card to HDMI adapter.  What about USBA powering your device? Again the answer is NO.
    IMO Apple made the right decision almost 5 years ago. 
    We’ll just have to wait for next batch of high end MBP’s.
    williamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 37 of 52
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

The ability to have a single cable to your laptop that provides power and breaks out several cables you'd otherwise be plugging and unplugging every time you switch locations is a life changing thing for the positive. Not sure why you'd fight that.
    Because of the things I already said, cost, technical simplicity, tidiness, personal preference.
    MplsP
  • Reply 38 of 52
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

Look, I totally get the need for different ports. I use many of them myself. 
    But while you may consider HDMI an esssential port, someone else may need USBA and someone further down the road, Ethernet. And let’s not forget the SD card slot. 
    You see where this is going?
    I express my personal preferences.  It isn't my job to take other people's preferences into account.
    MplsP
  • Reply 39 of 52
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    commentzilla said:

It even has a VGA port. 

First, if a cable is ‘life changing,’ you need a better life, but to the point, what USB C does is trade the convenience of one port for the inconvenience of using adapters for everything. 

You also fail to note that USB C is not all roses. There is one port, but the function of that port is undefined so you never know what features that port has. Beyond that, you don’t know what capabilities any given USB C cable has. USB 3? Power delivery? How much power? TB? TB 3 or 4? In some ways, one can argue that USB C is worse because of the added confusion. 

There are some people on this site who’ve evidently never forgotten anything, for whom spending an extra $300 on a hub to make that life changing cable actually do what they need it to do is a negligible sum of pocket change, and for whom carrying around extra equipment is more convenient than just carrying their laptop. For the rest of the world it’s an inconvenience at best and even more frustrating when you consider it’s functionality that virtually every other laptop has, even a POS $250 Lenovo chrome book. 
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonspheric
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Carrying a hub used to bother me. Then I started working out. Now I hardly notice it. 
    thedbamattinozwilliamlondonwatto_cobra