M1X Mac mini will be thinner, use iMac's magnetic power connector says leaker

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    thedba said:
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    Considering how tiny and thin the logic board is for the M1 iMac, if Apple decides to use the iMac's external power supply then the new Mac Mini could essentially be the same footprint as an external SSD enclosure with just enough height for the port connectors.  Seriously cool.  
    I don’t think there is a need for a MagSafe connector on a Mac mini though, except for production efficiencies for the power brick. Thing is the brick would be much better if the cable to the computer was user replaceable, instead of hard wired.  If the cable breaks you have to get the whole brick. Appalling. You won’t be able to use this MagSafe connector on a laptop. And would it not be better if the same brick could’ve been used for all devices regardless of connector?
    …. Or maybe, the exact same cable/power brick combo can be used to power a Mac mini or an iMac or a future Mac Pro, like you said in your last sentence and undid the entire first part/rant of your post. 
    If the Mac Pro has an external power supply then a lot of people are going to hit the roof.
    sphericdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 93
    No problem at all with the MacMini being smaller, but there's two things that have me screaming"Nooooo!":

1. A power supply brick?  Why?  One of the best things Apple did was moving the power supply inside when switching to the unibody form factor for the Mac Mini. (As was moving the power supply inside for the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule.)  As said above, a standard power cable is easy to replace, we've probably all got more than few lying around at home. But, more importantly, it made the Mac mini far more portable. It's a desktop machine, but it's also handy as a server, and being portable it's an excellent machine for cooling up to a projector at events, on-site etc. Putting a brick back on it is a huge step backwards.

2. Plexiglas top?  Why? I can't see any reason or purpose to this, other than to make it look "different". Again, it's a step backwards. The Aluminium unibody was as minimalist as it got, but it's a very pretty design, and functionally, it's neat, very easy to store, even the ports around the back makes tidy cabling easy.  I can only imagine the plexiglass allows for colours, but it's purely decorative on something that doesn't need to be any more pretty than it already is.  

williamlondoncgWerksdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 93
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    entropys said:
    And would it not be better if the same brick could’ve been used for all devices regardless of connector?
    That would mean supplying the lowliest machines with a 100W power supply, which makes no sense. MagSafe supplies always came in three different wattages, as well. Annoying, but the better alternative to throwing a power supply in with an Air that does three times the needed wattage. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 93
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    Considering how tiny and thin the logic board is for the M1 iMac, if Apple decides to use the iMac's external power supply then the new Mac Mini could essentially be the same footprint as an external SSD enclosure with just enough height for the port connectors.  Seriously cool.  
    I don’t think there is a need for a MagSafe connector on a Mac mini though, except for production efficiencies for the power brick. Thing is the brick would be much better if the cable to the computer was user replaceable, instead of hard wired.  If the cable breaks you have to get the whole brick. Appalling. You won’t be able to use this MagSafe connector on a laptop. And would it not be better if the same brick could’ve been used for all devices regardless of connector?
    I have to agree. I thought the whole reason for MagSafe was to prevent a MacBook from being yanked off the surface it is sitting on if someone accidentally hooks the power cable while walking past the machine. This makes sense for a computer that gets moved around from surface to surface and placed with less concern for secure cable routing than one would take for a “permanent” or “semi-permanent” desktop computer installation like an iMac or Mac mini. MagSafe does have a certain coolness factor to it, but adding features that are simply bling or gratuitous isn’t necessarily the best use of engineering resources. 
    williamlondoncgWerksdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 93
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    This isn’t a MagSafe power supply. This is a magnetic connector. Looking at all the wires in the cable, what exactly are you expecting to beak? 
    StrangeDaysroundaboutnowpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 93
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    CiaranF said:
    What is ‘s aesthetic obsession with making everything smaller? I mean there is no reason to make an Mac Mini or iMac smaller. It’s not a handheld device like an iPhone or iPad or something you bring around with you regularly. Why not keep them the same size or make then even bigger and fit more to them? Give me function and modularity over making something that doesn’t need to be made more portable anyday. Groan. 
    Yep, they should be a touch thicker with slots for Apple Silicon sticks.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    This isn’t a MagSafe power supply. This is a magnetic connector. Looking at all the wires in the cable, what exactly are you expecting to beak? 
    Yup, it’s not marketed as MagSafe, because it isn’t MagSafe. Nobody clutching their pearls have used it. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 93
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 544member
    It's missing the SDXC slot.
    williamlondondarkvader
  • Reply 49 of 93
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Given that DVD drive is no longer a factor why not go half the depth instead of height?
    That would allow say 5 Mac Mini across a 1U tray. Given MacStadium and the like are big customers for these machines.

Half-width would be better to have ports front and back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 93
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    mattinoz said:
    Given that DVD drive is no longer a factor why not go half the depth instead of height?
    That would allow say 5 Mac Mini across a 1U tray. Given MacStadium and the like are big customers for these machines.

Half-width would be better to have ports front and back.
    You're right that they no longer need to keep that footprint now that ODDS are gone, and I personally like the idea of making it a taller tower. Mine is using some 3rd-party stand so it stands up on its side.

I do wonder if Apple would keep it because of other considerations like 3rd-party accessories that match the footprint can be used between may revisions (unlike the iPhone, which is a big seller).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 93
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    thedba said:
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    …. Or maybe, the exact same cable/power brick combo can be used to power a Mac mini or an iMac or a future Mac Pro, like you said in your last sentence and undid the entire first part/rant of your post. 

Also why would the cable break on a desktop computer? It never or rarely moves from your desk. 
    You are defending a cable permanently attached to the power brick? Really? I mean, really?

I can sorta understand from a design perspective, it saves a few $ in construction, and t hen there is the issue the cable is proprietary anyway because of the MagSafe connector, and it is carrying both power and Ethernet. But it is a very expensive point of failure for the consumer.
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 93
    entropys said:
    thedba said:
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:

Also why would the cable break on a desktop computer? It never or rarely moves from your desk. 
    You are defending a cable permanently attached to the power brick? Really? I mean, really?

I can sorta understand from a design perspective, it saves a few $ in construction, and t hen there is the issue the cable is proprietary anyway because of the MagSafe connector, and it is carrying both power and Ethernet. But it is a very expensive point of failure for the consumer.
    As it has been pointed out, Apple doesn't label these as MagSafe. There's no indication that it was designed to prevent damage to the device if one trips over the power cord, which shouldn't be common with a desktop computer.

Moving on, it reads as odd to me that you say he's "defending a cable permanently attached to the power brick" when he's really speaking reasonably about how Apple may conduct business. If you're not aware, Apple will often try to use tech in other areas to help reduce costs. I don't see that happening with the Ethernet cable in the PSU (which is only an option for the new iMacs) but Apple has done stranger things.

You also failed to answer his question about it breaking. I've never once had a desktop power cable break. It certainly would be more costly to replace if it was a single unit as 
    opposed to separate pieces, and yet people still bellyache over the loss of actual MagSafe in Mac notebooks where the PSU and DC cable was combined.
    stompyFidonet127williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 93
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    No problem at all with the MacMini being smaller, but there's two things that have me screaming"Nooooo!":

1. A power supply brick?  Why?  One of the best things Apple did was moving the power supply inside when switching to the unibody form factor for the Mac Mini. (As was moving the power supply inside for the Airport Extreme and Time Capsule.)  As said above, a standard power cable is easy to replace, we've probably all got more than few lying around at home. But, more importantly, it made the Mac mini far more portable. It's a desktop machine, but it's also handy as a server, and being portable it's an excellent machine for cooling up to a projector at events, on-site etc. Putting a brick back on it is a huge step backwards.

Agreed—absolutely the wrong way to go on so many levels.  Unless someone decides to make a big, actively cooled power supply to stack of 5 or something.  That would be cool.

2. Plexiglas top?  Why? I can't see any reason or purpose to this, other than to make it look "different". Again, it's a step backwards. The Aluminium unibody was as minimalist as it got, but it's a very pretty design, and functionally, it's neat, very easy to store, even the ports around the back makes tidy cabling easy.  I can only imagine the plexiglass allows for colours, but it's purely decorative on something that doesn't need to be any more pretty than it already is.  

Just off the top of my head:
    * better wireless signal 
    * easier to manufacture/assemble 
    * is this one user upgradable?  Might be easier than trying to work around the “porthole” in the bottom.
    * cost
    * will the logo light up?  Moders rejoice!

williamlondoncgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 93
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    I'm not an electrician, but a magnetic power connector like the one on the new iMac can exist only when the power flowing is DC not 110v AC. I think 110v AC is probably just too dangerous. In theory it might be possible to design an "AC MagSafe" but I doubt anyone wants to deal with the liability especially when it comes to selling it to the unwashed masses. Perhaps in an industrial setting you could get away with it.
    edited May 2021 sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 93
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 610member
    MacPro said:
    The power of the M1X and M2 will be staggering, I can well see the next Mac Pro, using Apple Silicon, being used to prototype Crays.  ;)

https://wiki.c2.com/?AppleCrayComputer
    So will the pricing be :)
  • Reply 56 of 93
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 610member
    Would be nice if we had 2 internal NVME slots. But I guess everything has to be external again.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 93
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    I am really happy Apple stuck with the Mac Mini. I kept expecting them to discontinue it but people kept buying them so they kept selling them. Now if Apple would only sell a $300 Mac Nano and lay waste to the entire PC market, that would be sweet. Come on Tim. What would Steve Jobs do?
    Steve would not release a cheap Mac nano because Apple would lose profitability in the product line. Rushing to the bottom never works.  Just look at compaq, dell and hp who all tried that and end up with razor thin margins.  
    What Apple can do is to put pressure on the competition by lowering prices on their lineup.  That forces other to reduce pricing even more and reduce their profitability further.  Apple did release the nano until the mini (and windows iTunes) has suffocated the market. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 93
    doggone said:
    I am really happy Apple stuck with the Mac Mini. I kept expecting them to discontinue it but people kept buying them so they kept selling them. Now if Apple would only sell a $300 Mac Nano and lay waste to the entire PC market, that would be sweet. Come on Tim. What would Steve Jobs do?
    Steve would not release a cheap Mac nano because Apple would lose profitability in the product line. Rushing to the bottom never works.  Just look at compaq, dell and hp who all tried that and end up with razor thin margins.  
    What Apple can do is to put pressure on the competition by lowering prices on their lineup.  That forces other to reduce pricing even more and reduce their profitability further.  Apple did release the nano until the mini (and windows iTunes) has suffocated the market. 
    WinPC vendors didn’t just have razor thin margins on the device, they also cut corners on quality and service while also selling their devices filled with crapware that SW vendors paid handsomely to get out on brand new PCs. There is even physical advertising on the machines and their boxes that Im certain was paid placement (not a carrot to help sell the PC) 

I wouldn’t be surprised if many sell as a financial loss for the cost of producing the PC with the intent of making a profit from the paid placement of crapware and other post-sale SW sales.

Apple used to come with some trial apps, but that was probably a couple decades ago (Steve was back at Apple), but it was never egregious.
    edited May 2021 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 93
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    CiaranF said:
    What is ‘s aesthetic obsession with making everything smaller? I mean there is no reason to make an Mac Mini or iMac smaller. It’s not a handheld device like an iPhone or iPad or something you bring around with you regularly. Why not keep them the same size or make then even bigger and fit more to them? Give me function and modularity over making something that doesn’t need to be made more portable anyday. Groan. 
    Well, I guess you haven’t been listening to Apple for the past decade or so. They have made it perfectly clear that modularity is reserved for the absolute top-of-the-line Pro hardware, not the semi-pro or consumer line. They see their future in the mass market of consumers who need/want a computer for everyday ease of use, and stylish design. So I doubt we will ever see a modular Mac in the price range someone like you wants.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 93
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    spheric said:
    cpsro said:
    10GbE or it's no dice.
    Since the current M1 Mac mini comes with an option vor 10Gb Ethernet, why on earth would you think that the upgraded next generation wouldn't?
    Probably because he noted that the previous 21 inch iMac came with , but the “upgraded next gen model” didn’t. It comes with the power supply instead. 

Not the greatest thing on earth. 

The sad thing is that it seems all Apple desktops will do this now in a move to the new proprietary power cable. So a nasty 1990s game console power brick is being utilized everywhere. So the computing device looks elegant, but the space it goes in is a mess of multiple wires and a brick littering your floor. 

That really sucks. Hope they fix that before to long. 

Almost seems like a built in problem to “solve” in future upgrade cycles. Lol. 
    williamlondon