Apple currently limiting M1 iPad Pro apps to 5GB RAM each

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    omasouomasou Posts: 562member
    DAalseth said:
    Does anyone know when the limit was bumped from 3GB to 5GB? 
    This is why why Apple doesn't tout certain information.

Apple announced the 8GB and 16GB RAM aspect of this new iPad Pro, but it's rare for the company to reveal this detail
  • Reply 22 of 49
    Apple gets to make all the decisions for how a customer can use their iOS devices. Why should RAM be any different? Apple firmly believes that people are just not smart enough to make decisions like "this app is really important to my work so it should be able to use all the RAM." or "I need to manage my personal network so I am going to let this app see the MAC addresses so it can track and identify the devices I have connected to it." You absolutely can't make a decision like "I don't like all of Apple's restrictions so I will install this third party App Store."
  • Reply 23 of 49
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Apple gets to make all the decisions for how a customer can use their iOS devices. Why should RAM be any different? Apple firmly believes that people are just not smart enough to make decisions like "this app is really important to my work so it should be able to use all the RAM." or "I need to manage my personal network so I am going to let this app see the MAC addresses so it can track and identify the devices I have connected to it." You absolutely can't make a decision like "I don't like all of Apple's restrictions so I will install this third party App Store."
    If you don’t like them doing the heavy lifting, get something with Linux on it.
    Personally I like them dealing with the details so I can just use the apps for what I want to do. I don’t want to manage the BS
    pscooter63danoxdewmejony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 49
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    With the iPad Pro, the user has one and only one decision to make. Storage capacity.
    a) 128 GB
    b) 256 GB
    c) 512 GB
    d) 1 TB
    e) 2 TB

All this talk about RAM is pointless.
    If you’ve been visiting the brothers over at MaxTech, they have videos comparing 8 GB vs 16 GB of RAM, albeit on a MacBook. 
    The performance differences are negligible, no matter what they throw at them.
    Why would the iPP be different?

Correction, they do compare iPP of varying RAM:
    https://youtu.be/ivwnTVHkBCI
    edited May 2021 danoxjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 49
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    MisterKit said:
    If Apple brings their pro apps to iPad Pro this would never work. Logic Pro would be dead in the water running in a 5 gig environment (no pun intended). 
    You beat me to it! RAM might be the last remaining hurdle, as the M1 and beyond can surly handle Logic. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    mknelson said:
    thedba said:
    5GB RAM-gate?

I bought the iPad, I should be able to use as much RAM as I want.

That’s why the iPad cannot be used for “real work”. 

Any other upcoming arguments I missed?
    Yes, "Goddamnit! I need 116 layers!"  B)
    The last minute addition of the flugelhorn track sunk the project. 
    edited May 2021 DAalsethpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 49
    thedba said:
    With the iPad Pro, the user has one and only one decision to make. Storage capacity.
    a) 128 GB
    b) 256 GB
    c) 512 GB
    d) 1 TB
    e) 2 TB

All this talk about RAM is pointless.
    If you’ve been visiting the brothers over at MaxTech, they have videos comparing 8 GB vs 16 GB of RAM, albeit on a MacBook. 
    The performance differences are negligible, no matter what they throw at them.
    Why would the iPP be different?

Correction, they do compare iPP of varying RAM:
    https://youtu.be/ivwnTVHkBCI
    Not entirely pointless. I’ve been looking at the 1TB ONLY because I was interested in the 16GB of RAM.  Otherwise I’d just go with a 256. Burt you are correct, I’ve read a number of reviews that say extra RAM doesn’t boost performance, it’s only useful when you have to manage a huge file.  
  • Reply 28 of 49
    I just did a test. I took my 10.5 inch iPad Pro (6GB RAM I believe) and created a Procreate canvas 5100px x 5100px. I was able to create 14 layers before it reached the maximum. After that it just wouldn’t let me make any more. I’m guessing my unit is limited to 3GB for a particular app because of the low amount of system RAM. So an M1 unit with 9GB should theoretically be able to make 28 layers of this size perhaps? 

Does anyone want to test this out?
  • Reply 29 of 49
    AgentEE7AgentEE7 Posts: 3member
    Likely Apple will improve iPadOS large RAM usage.  Probably already in development/testing for iPadOS 15 to be released soon.

Also, maybe special app certification could be required for extremely large RAM usage.  As a OS protection trade-off for professional application requirements.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 49
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    DAalseth said:
    I just did a test. I took my 10.5 inch iPad Pro (6GB RAM I believe) and created a Procreate canvas 5100px x 5100px. I was able to create 14 layers before it reached the maximum. After that it just wouldn’t let me make any more. I’m guessing my unit is limited to 3GB for a particular app because of the low amount of system RAM. So an M1 unit with 9GB should theoretically be able to make 28 layers of this size perhaps? 

That model has 4GB RAM.  The first iPad Pro with more than 4GB RAM was the 2018 iPad Pro with 1TB storage (6GB RAM).
    rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    You’ve said this before about MAC addresses, but I still have an app on my iPad that can identify device MAC addresses. /shrug 
    pscooter63williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    thedba said:
    5GB RAM-gate?

Incoming lawsuits in 5…4…3…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Seems like better, more flexible multitasking is on its way. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    DAalseth said:

That model has 4GB RAM.  The first iPad Pro with more than 4GB RAM was the 2018 iPad Pro with 1TB storage (6GB RAM).
    Whoa, I just checked and you’re right. That means the 8GB will be a huge boost for me. Thanks, I think you just saved me ~$750CDN.
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 49
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    I remember when the original iPad came with 256 MB of RAM.
    DAalsethMisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 49
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    All of this complete with “the software is limiting the iPad Pro” arguments scream that iPadOS is gonna be a monster upgrade and fix these things.

I feel like Apple is intentionally limiting M1 iPad Pro to hype iPadOS 15. After all, iPadOS 14 was released way before M1 iPads.
    qwerty52williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49
    longfanglongfang Posts: 445member
    brauntj said:
    thedba said:
    5GB RAM-gate?

This is why we need a third party OS. Apple shouldn’t have a monopoly on their hardware platform like this. 
    Yes and while were at it, i want a different os for my car, playstation, tv and refrigerator. /s 
    DAalsethwilliamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 49
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

Whoa, I just checked and you’re right. That means the 8GB will be a huge boost for me. Thanks, I think you just saved me ~$750CDN.
    Glad to help
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 49
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    thedba said:
    qwerty52 said:
    brauntj said:
    thedba said:
    5GB RAM-gate?

This is why we need a third party OS. Apple shouldn’t have a monopoly on their hardware platform like this. 

Very stupid argument.
    Do you really think Apple is doing this without any reason, but just to make the user’s life miserable?
    And in your imagination, how the third party OS is supposed to look like?
    He was joking. Look at what he replied to. 

Sorry, I didn’t get it
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 49
    DAalseth said:

I have an M1 iPad Pro with 8GB RAM and Procreate currently limits a 5100 x 5100 pixel canvas to 6 layers. When you create the custom canvas dimensions, it shows you the maximum number of layers the app will allow with those measurements on the same screen. 

For comparison, Pixelmator allows 13 layers at 5100 x 5100 and Affinity Photo was still allowing me to add layers at around 40...when I got tired of adding them. My only conclusion is that different apps have different capabilities in terms of how they handle memory in relationship to layers. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra