Redesigned AirPods coming in 2021, revamped AirPods Pro in 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2021
A new report claims that Apple is working on refreshing its entire AirPods line, with new models coming soon for AirPods, AirPods Pro arriving in 2022, and maybe even new colors for AirPods Max.

Apple's current AirPods Pro
Apple's current AirPods Pro

According to Bloomberg, Apple is preparing a new version of its entry-level AirPods and they are intended to go on sale before the end of 2021. Unspecified sources echo previous reports that the new design will feature a revised case, and shorter stem, resembling the current AirPods Pro.

AirPods Pro are reportedly gaining a redesign that adds updated motion trackers for greater fitness applications. The sources say that the the revised AirPods Pro will ship some time in 2022.

Apple is not currently working on a second-generation AirPods Max, but the company is reportedly considering offering new colors. This is the least certain of the reported rumors.

New AirPods, referred to as "AirPods 3," have repeatedly been predicted to be coming, with various release dates including mid-May 2021.

Similarly, the AirPods Pro have often been said to be getting a new design, most recently with the claimed addition of two different models.

Separately, Apple has recently been rumored to be working on a new, proprietary high-fidelity audio format to facilitate lossless Apple Music streaming to AirPods.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hope battery serviceability is a consideration. 

dewmecornchipBeats
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    crowley said:

Good luck with that.
    omasoullamaStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 14
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    AirPods Max will not see any major physical redesigns, but Apple is reportedly considering offering new colors. This is the least certain of the reported rumors, and there is no projected launch date.
    Perhaps color matched to the new iMac?
    edited May 2021 Beats
  • Reply 4 of 14
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    So… If I as a very happy user of current AirPods Pro I could be standing next to someone apparently wearing same but actually wearing a cheaper version (and IMHO inferior because they’ll be lacking some of the features I love about my AirPods Pro…). I’m not a wearable tech snob but I’ll definitely be unhappy when the feature-light/cheaper version is released because the person wearing them will be getting the same admiring/envious glances from people who can’t/won’t spend the money Apple charge for AirPods Pro! Same with my Apple Watch Series 6 44mm Cellular, I’m sick of folks saying “aah, so you’re in to Fitbit watches are you!?”… I want to scream “no, this isn’t a fu**ing piece of Fitbit shi*, I wouldn’t enter a competition if that was the only prize… This is an Apple Watch you moron, a REAL smart watch that is worth every penny I paid for it! 🤣    👱🏻‍♂️❤️👁📱 & 🍎 ⏱
    Life is too short to worry about how others perceive me.

If you're worried about what those around you think or their lack of knowledge about what you own, it's time to surround yourself with a better class of people.
    602warrenmacsince1988StrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamshareef777drdavidapplguycornchip
  • Reply 5 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    So… If I as a very happy user of current AirPods Pro I could be standing next to someone apparently wearing same but actually wearing a cheaper version (and IMHO inferior because they’ll be lacking some of the features I love about my AirPods Pro…). I’m not a wearable tech snob but I’ll definitely be unhappy when the feature-light/cheaper version is released because the person wearing them will be getting the same admiring/envious glances from people who can’t/won’t spend the money Apple charge for AirPods Pro! Same with my Apple Watch Series 6 44mm Cellular, I’m sick of folks saying “aah, so you’re in to Fitbit watches are you!?”… I want to scream “no, this isn’t a fu**ing piece of Fitbit shi*, I wouldn’t enter a competition if that was the only prize… This is an Apple Watch you moron, a REAL smart watch that is worth every penny I paid for it! 🤣    👱🏻‍♂️❤️👁📱 & 🍎 ⏱
    Sounds like you’re surrounded by morons. I’d worry about that more than which AirPods other people have. 
    602warrenmuthuk_vanalingamdrdavidcornchip
  • Reply 6 of 14
    602warren602warren Posts: 65member
    Or...and bear with me on this one...people like me who have both regular AirPods and the Pros... just prefer the fit and comfort of the regular ones. Sure, the Pros sound better, but they hurt my ears when I wear them too long. I can wear the regular ones almost all day with no problems, Pros only last about 30 minutes before making my ear canal sore.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The original AirPods design is iconic now. Milk it for as long as you can Apple!
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 8 of 14
    AirPods or AirPods Pro version, they could be mechanically identical as far as I'm concerned, but it would be nice if both types were available in a few colors.
    Even subtle colors, pink / sky blue etc...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    crowley said:
    Just send them in to PodSwap. $60 and they’re good as new. For the size I have no issue with this compromise. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Is this satire?
    drdavidcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 14
    602warren said:
    Or...and bear with me on this one...people like me who have both regular AirPods and the Pros... just prefer the fit and comfort of the regular ones. Sure, the Pros sound better, but they hurt my ears when I wear them too long. I can wear the regular ones almost all day with no problems, Pros only last about 30 minutes before making my ear canal sore.
    Yep different use cases. The Pros suck for sleeping on your side. For regular business calls I prefer the regulars. 
    602warren
  • Reply 12 of 14
    well hopefully and I am no techie here, they somehow get the Apple Lossless to work on the AirPods Pro 2. That would be far more important to me, than the fitness integration. Yes I know a lot of people will love that but my time is limited, terminal cancer, was told back in January 12-18 months and weakness is already setting in enough that I can notice it.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    Redesigned to fit MY ears?