Former Apple CDO Jony Ive helped design the 24-inch iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2021
Famed designer Jony Ive had some input into the creation of the 24-inch iMac, though it is unclear if that was before he departed Apple or after he left the company.

Apple's major redesign of the iMac for the 24-inch M1-powered model is a striking change, and one that departs from the usual design of the well-known Mac. However, it seems that this new model had some assistance in its redesign from former Apple chief design officer Jony Ive.

In its review of the iMac, Wired said Ive had some involvement in the design of the product. It is theorized that the long process of hardware design could have meant Ive was still employed by Apple directly at its conception, if the design work started in or before 2019.

Apple said to the report Ive did work on it, but stopped short of saying whether it was before or after his departure.

Ive left Apple in late 2019, creating his own design firm called LoveFrom in 2020. Apple became LoveFrom's first client after its launch, though the actual structure of the relationship between the design firm and Apple remains a mystery.

Apple isn't LoveFrom's only client. In October, Airbnb hired the firm to work on next-generation "products and services" as a design consultant.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The deal between Ives and Apple, as was reported here as in other places, was that he would do work with Apple after he left. For how long?
  • Reply 2 of 74
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 125member
    So is that why it only comes with 2/4 USB-C ports?
    williamhdee_deewilliamlondondysamoriaelijahgdarkvader
  • Reply 3 of 74
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lam92103 said:
    The ports are my biggest/only real complaint with the new iMac. I’ve never thought that having all of the ports on the back was a good idea. Put at least one or two on the side so they’re accessible. aAnd limiting the low end Mac to just 2 ports??? It’s not a laptop; you can’t even make a half-assed space or power excuse. I’d also like to see at least one USB A port. Even 6 years after Apple declared ‘USB C is the future’ USB A is still incredibly common. My new Apple TV came with a USB A charging cable last week. 
    mike54muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonirelandelijahgdarkvader
  • Reply 4 of 74
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    lam92103 said:

Likely based on market research where a majority of average consumers, which is the target of these new iMacs, have not needed that many USB ports. Why waste parts when they won't be used? And for those that need more, a USB hub adds more ports very easily.

patchythepirateseanjbyronlmacxpressAlex_VuraharamwhitefastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 74
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    MplsP said:
    lam92103 said:
    The ports are my biggest/only real complaint with the new iMac. I’ve never thought that having all of the ports on the back was a good idea. Put at least one or two on the side so they’re accessible. aAnd limiting the low end Mac to just 2 ports??? It’s not a laptop; you can’t even make a half-assed space or power excuse. I’d also like to see at least one USB A port. Even 6 years after Apple declared ‘USB C is the future’ USB A is still incredibly common. My new Apple TV came with a USB A charging cable last week. 

Market pressure. Companies still selling devices with USB-A are only looking at the here and now, not the longer-term longevity of the devices. USB-C supports USB-A (via an adapter), but not the other way around, so it makes sense to provide USB-C and let consumers downgrade if they need to.
    patchythepirateseanjbyronlwilliamlondonaderuttermacxpressAlex_Vuraharamwhitefastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 74
    DSCODSCO Posts: 2member
    This explains the lack of ports… Welp!
    williamlondonirelanddarkvader
  • Reply 7 of 74
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    I’ve no doubt had a hand in the overall shape amd thinness. 

But there is no way he signed off on the power brick. 

There is so much room inside the new enclosure that the brick contents could be expanded and shielded. - especially since they decided to use a chin to house the SOC. 

Steve Jobs would not have went with the brick littering the floor idea. Neither would I’ve. 

It seems some questionable design choices have come along since Ive’s role changed. 

Big Sur has some unfortunate design choices as does the new iMac. 

One of the biggest pluses in Apple design is that they know when to say “no” to things. 

The fact that there is now a brick that just literally plops unceremoniously on your floor, littering it, is a definite sign that this is being forgotten. 

Hopefully they remember this and fix it. This is Apple. They have a rich heritage in figuring things out better than anyone else. But the whole brick thing just screens cheap, tacky, and very Microsoft or Dell-like. 

Here’s hoping I’ve had more of a hand in the forthcoming iMac Pro amd MacBook Pro designs. 
    seanjwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 74
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    lam92103 said:

Likely based on market research where a majority of average consumers, which is the target of these new iMacs, have not needed that many USB ports. Why waste parts when they won't be used? And for those that need more, a USB hub adds more ports very easily.

I guess it was that same market research that led Apple to put only 1 port on the original MacBook.  
    MplsPwilliamlondonDAalseth
  • Reply 9 of 74

There is so much room inside the new enclosure that the brick contents could be expanded and shielded. - especially since they decided to use a chin to house the SOC. 

Steve Jobs would not have went with the brick littering the floor idea. Neither would I’ve. 

It seems some questionable design choices have come along since Ive’s role changed. 

One of the biggest pluses in Apple design is that they know when to say “no” to things. 

The fact that there is now a brick that just literally plops unceremoniously on your floor, littering it, is a definite sign that this is being forgotten. 

Hopefully they remember this and fix it. This is Apple. They have a rich heritage in figuring things out better than anyone else. But the whole brick thing just screens cheap, tacky, and very Microsoft or Dell-like. 

Here’s hoping I’ve had more of a hand in the forthcoming iMac Pro amd MacBook Pro designs. 

This is a great point and all you have to do is ignore all the products that came during the Job and Ive tenure that had power bricks. G4 Cube? Never existed, original AirPort? Completely fictional. AirPort Extreme? never heard of it. G4 Mac mini? What's that? Cinema displays? Fake news. Intel Mac mini? bullocks to that. 
  • Reply 10 of 74
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    MplsP said:
    lam92103 said:
    Considering that, unlike a laptop, power comes into the iMac through its own port, and both the keyboard and mouse are wireless, two ports seems plenty adequate for home users. Pro users should find four to be fine, especially since wired Ethernet doesn’t consume a port either. Thunderbolt docks are widely available to handle the edge cases.
    williamlondoniqatedoAlex_Vmr. huraharafastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 74
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    mike54 said:
    USB-A devices, portable thumbs drive will still be in use despite those who want to see USB-A go away. Apple should of designed and bundled a nicely design matching coloured dock that has various ports HDMI, USB-A, USB-C, SD slots, included in the current price.
    It's the laptops that should have at least one USB-A port. After all laptops are meant to be portable and carrying dongles around make it less so.
    Yeah because we all like waiting around while a USB thumb drive transfers data slowly at 5Gbps…  instead of USB-C at double the speed
    williamlondonlkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 74
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The design will grow on us like everything Apple releases.

I’d rather have a USB-C port that I can hook up a hub to than an extra USB-A port which has less speed and power.

mike54 said:
    USB-A devices, portable thumbs drive will still be in use despite those who want to see USB-A go away. Apple should of designed and bundled a nicely design matching coloured dock that has various ports HDMI, USB-A, USB-C, SD slots, included in the current price.
    It's the laptops that should have at least one USB-A port. After all laptops are meant to be portable and carrying dongles around make it less so.

And Floppy Disk drive!!
    williamlondonuraharawatto_cobraMacsWithPenguins
  • Reply 13 of 74
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    melgross said:
    The deal between Ives and Apple, as was reported here as in other places, was that he would do work with Apple after he left. For how long?
    No one outside of Apple or Lovefrom knows.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 74
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 112member

Display is not thick enough for a traditional power cable.  Regardless, this is more about manufacturing costs than anything else. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 74
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    I would find it very difficult to believe that Ive had anything to do with this piece of turd. It’s so fugly that a first year industrial design student wouldn’t design this.
    Zeebler
  • Reply 16 of 74
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

This is a great point and all you have to do is ignore all the products that came during the Job and Ive tenure that had power bricks. G4 Cube? Never existed, original AirPort? Completely fictional. AirPort Extreme? never heard of it. G4 Mac mini? What's that? Cinema displays? Fake news. Intel Mac mini? bullocks to that. 
    Response rating:

Though to be honest, I knew there was a smack down incoming as soon as he claimed he knew “what Steve would do”. 

edited May 2021 byronlibillBeatsroundaboutnowStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 74
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    He did the silver one.

I like the idea Ive was involved, I always thought he designed enclosures for Apple Silicon but it was 5-years late.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 74
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
     Rayz2016 said:

Response rating:

Though to be honest, I knew there was a smack down incoming as soon as he claimed he knew “what Steve would do”. 

;-) yeah but you know SJ hated the 20th anniversary mac which was a lot like this new model. If the new model had a subwoofer in the power brick, and leather paneling. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 74
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

I've today taken delivery of an M1 iMac (1 TB, 16 GB). Delighted and very happy to have the power brick elsewhere - I guess my circumstances suit this design choice. The white screen surround isn't nearly as intrusive as I had imagined it would be. I've never had a problem with the 'chin' and certainly don't now. The finish actually, is spectacular IRL - love it. 

Well done Apple.
    williamlondonJWSCmacxpressBeatsuraharamattinozfastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is devastating news for all the haters who thought they were rid of Ive. They’ll have to wait for the return of the beige plastic cases they so desperately want.
    edited May 2021 iqatedowilliamlondonBeatsAlex_Vwatto_cobra