Apple sued over false accusations in Apple Store thefts by impostor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    dysamoria said:
    Wow I wish I was misidentified and were able to sue for $1 billion 
    That’s pretty ignorant. The amount wasn’t mentioned and I’m sure you’d feel pretty put upon if this crap had happened to you.
    Just a bit.  I would be looking a a big payout.  Apple screwed this poor guy.  
    darkvader
  • Reply 22 of 27
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I said it more than two years ago: Apple done futzed up. They should have never allowed this to go on. They royally screwed the kid and should settle already. How they allowed it to get to three jurisdictions is just mind-blowing. What are they waiting on, for suits in all five states?  :#
    Peza
  • Reply 23 of 27
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    dysamoria said:
    Wow I wish I was misidentified and were able to sue for $1 billion 
    That’s pretty ignorant. The amount wasn’t mentioned and I’m sure you’d feel pretty put upon if this crap had happened to you.
    Um yes it was, but not in this article. It's actually all over the web. I do feel bad for the guy, and I think he has every right to sue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/23/teen-sues-apple-billion-blames-facial-recognition-stores-his-arrest/
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/teen-sues-apple-1b-facial-135344524.html
    https://nypost.com/2019/04/22/apples-facial-recognition-software-led-to-false-arrest-suit/
    https://www.cnet.com/news/teen-hits-apple-with-1b-lawsuit-over-facial-recognition-arrest/
    ronn
  • Reply 24 of 27
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Wow, got to say that's one monumental cock up by Apple and its security services, and shows a complete lack of professionalism, total disregard for the evidence, indeed deleting the evidence Apple held it seems leading them to continue to accuse an innocent man multiple times. This would have me worried about going into an Apple store!
    Facial recognition software is bogus when you have no actual photo of the ID you accuse of the crime, did they Google him or something and claim that was him, despite the fact he didn't look the actual criminal on their videos and was physically shorter. It's not rocket science to assume criminals lie about their identities, happens every day.

I hope he takes Apple to the cleaners. To identify the wrong man as a criminal once is one thing, to then repeatedly make the exact same mistake multiple times is downright unprofessional and makes you the criminal for professional misconduct that led to a false arrest. I would also class it as harassment and definitely repeated false accusations.
    People will know he was arrested and he needs to get that public apology to clear his name. I wouldn't settle out of court without that happening plus a big payout.
    edited May 2021 GeorgeBMacronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 27
    dysamoria said:
    entropys said:
    ednl said:
    Hey AppleInsider, stop autoplayng videos! And stop popping it up in other places on the page! And fix the placement of the closing button which doesn't work! (on iPad). Wtf.
    Yes, it is annoying enough on other websites, but I expect more from an Apple related website. 
    In ios/ipadOS/macOS 15 I would love a feature that not only prevents autoplay, but also dos attacks websites that do it.
    Why would you expect more from an Apple related website?  It's not like Apple pays them to operate the site, thus negating the need to generate revenue through ads... ya know... to run the site and pay the staff.  If enough members donated, there wouldn't be a need for so many ads.  That goes for any website.  We want free sites but complain about how we get to have free sites.  

Ads are the commerce of the internet.  I don't like them either, but I do understand their necessity.  Heck, Apple understands their necessity too.  It's why Apple has increased it's ads in iOS and are actively courting advertisers to use their ad network.  Apple wants that ad money too.  They just market a different message to their audience.  Pay attention to the actions, not the words.
    Wow. Apple does not “need” ad revenue. It’s greed. Neither does Amazon need to sell ad spaces on their dogdamned store. That’s greed. Putting ads on every damned space isn’t by necessity. It’s greed.

Advertising has DRIVEN us to ad blocking. As soon as any entity complains about ad blocking, the first phrase that comes to mind is “self-inflicted injury”. If advertising weren’t so obnoxious (in every possible way), we would be fine with them. But it IS obnoxious. It’s the primary content of the web at this point.

It started innocently enough with small & static graphics on the top, bottom, or side of pages, but it became a process of ever-escalating warfare against our eyes, our ears, our time, and our bandwidth. I have zero tolerance for advertising at this point. It’s not me; it’s them. No, punishing me with ads won’t encourage me to subscribe to your site... and then we have places that “let us pay” to still see ads, like Hulu. GTFOH. Greed.

Nope the hell right out of here with the pity party for “the necessity for advertising”.
    Nothing in my post is about the giants of industry needing ad dollars.  My quote was specifically about the sites like Appleinsider, that subsist on ad revenue.  For them it is absolutely necessary.  That ain't about a pity party.  That's plain facts.  

The portion of my comment pertaining to Apple is about @entropys feeling that an Apple-focused site shouldn't have ads when, ironically, Apple is increasing their focus on delivering ads. Industry giants being greedy? No argument there.  That being said, it still has nothing to do with the intent of my comment replying to @entropys quote about ads on this site.  No ads, no Appleinsider most likely.  No ads, no a-whole-lot-of-the-internet.   That was point.  If my awkward sentencing led you elsewhere, apologies.
    muthuk_vanalingamPeza
  • Reply 26 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    entropys said:
    ednl said:
    Hey AppleInsider, stop autoplayng videos! And stop popping it up in other places on the page! And fix the placement of the closing button which doesn't work! (on iPad). Wtf.
    Yes, it is annoying enough on other websites, but I expect more from an Apple related website. 
    In ios/ipadOS/macOS 15 I would love a feature that not only prevents autoplay, but also dos attacks websites that do it.
    Why would you expect more from an Apple related website?  It's not like Apple pays them to operate the site, thus negating the need to generate revenue through ads... ya know... to run the site and pay the staff.  If enough members donated, there wouldn't be a need for so many ads.  That goes for any website.  We want free sites but complain about how we get to have free sites.  

Ads are the commerce of the internet.  I don't like them either, but I do understand their necessity.  Heck, Apple understands their necessity too.  It's why Apple has increased it's ads in iOS and are actively courting advertisers to use their ad network.  Apple wants that ad money too.  They just market a different message to their audience.  Pay attention to the actions, not the words.
    You’re confusing any and all advertising with auto-play videos. The two are not synonymous. Auto-play videos are annoying as fuck and largely considered an anti-pattern in UX. 
    ronn
  • Reply 27 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    dysamoria said:
    entropys said:
    ednl said:

... and then we have places that “let us pay” to still see ads, like Hulu. GTFOH. Greed.
    I'm annoyed when things that I pay for contain ads, like Apple News+, where most of the articles I read contain ads, and Apple TV+ channels, where many shows have a 30 second promo before the show begins or a 15 second promo in the middle of the show. I was considering cancelling but now I'm paying for Apple One, so I can't cancel Apple News+ anymore. 
    You must be subscribing to the wrong tier of your channels. Mine don’t do that. For example Hulu offers two subscriptions in their app, and you pick what matters to you more - your time (being forced to watch ads that are usually irrelevant to you) or your money. I pick my time, and don’t pay less just to watch ads.