Intel-based MacBook Pro is Intel's latest anti-Apple campaign target

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2021
Intel continues to throw shade at Apple, oddly aiming at the Intel-based MacBook Pro, but this time using gaming as a cudgel to try and prove Windows-based products are better than Apple's offerings.

Intel's presentation offered some bold claims against Apple
Intel's presentation offered some bold claims against Apple

Apple is on a two-year transition away from Intel in favor of using its own Apple Silicon chips in Macs, and its initial M1 releases easily demonstrates Apple is doing things right. However, Intel is still quite unhappy about the break-up, as a presentation to members of the media revealed.

The presentation about Intel's 11th-generation H-series notebook processors, which also took shots against AMD and ARM, saved most of its negativity for Apple, according to PC Gamer. Chiefly, it used gaming as its main weapon against Apple, proclaiming Intel notebooks offer a "better gaming experience than 100% of Mac Laptops."

Intel then went on to offer data on the matter, including claims over half of "today's most popular games" are not supported on macOS itself. This attack is a little misguided for Intel, as Intel-based Macs running macOS still exist, and they cannot run games like Grand Theft Auto V or Cyberpunk 2077 natively either.

Emulation was also mentioned but shown to be ineffective with a demonstration of Valheim poorly running on Parallels on a Mac.

A later slide then proudly declared that Intel's 11th-generation Core i5 H-series offers "better gaming performance" than the "most powerful MacBook Pro." A chart is then provided showing a variety of games running better on an "Intel Branded System" than on a 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Intel compared an Intel-based MacBook Pro using year-old hardware against its own creation.
Intel compared an Intel-based MacBook Pro using year-old hardware against its own creation.

Oddly for such a graph, Intel directly compares year-old MacBook Pro with a Core i9-9980HK and the AMD Radeon Pro 5600M against its brand new system, which uses the Core i5 11400H and the Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060. Naturally, all of the Intel system results are faster than the MacBook Pro's, due to using a brand new processor and a much more powerful graphics card.

Intel also linked gaming to content creation, with statistics pointing to 50% of Windows notebook buyers also creating content, and 43% of content creators doing the same for playing games. Approximately 49% of creators buying a Windows notebook worth $800 or more also play games, with the percentage of "advanced gamers" who purchased a high-value Windows notebook moving to 61% in creating content.

Intel's Gamer-Creator overlap slide tries to directly link the two types of computer usage.
Intel's Gamer-Creator overlap slide tries to directly link the two types of computer usage.

The published presentation slides oddly don't mention Apple Silicon at all, and keep any comparisons between Intel-based systems. In early AppleInsider tests in November, the M1 was shown to stand up very well against its Intel-based Mac counterparts, both in processor-based and GPU-based tests.

This hasn't stopped Intel from taking on Apple Silicon since the start of 2021, in a variety of ways.

This includes a marketing campaign where Intel tried to make the phrase "You're not on a Mac" catch on, the offering of selective benchmarks against Apple Silicon, and producing an Apple Silicon comparison website.

Meanwhile, Intel has used the MacBook Pro to promote its own chips, as it did in April.

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger has also directed his ire towards Apple. Gelsinger told Intel employees in January that "we have to deliver better products to the PC ecosystem than any possible thing that a lifestyle company in Cupertino makes."

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    The fundamental problem with Mac gaming is software and consistency/commitment from apple. These are issues well within apple’s power to fix and I’m glad intel is pushing apple to fix them. But intel might regret providing that push if apple actually acts on it. 
    muthuk_vanalingamgenovellekillroydysamoriaBeatsmaltzradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Fact check: true.

macs suck at games. And that is because of decisions made by Apple.

that said, I love the smell of intel panic in the morning.
    edited May 2021 wonkothesanethe1maximuspscooter63qwerty52dysamoriaKTRjdb8167Beatsradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 49
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    That chart isn't distressing for Apple users, it's actually comforting. Only a 10% difference, despite the fact that Intel's data uses a chip that hardly anyone owns yet.
    [Deleted User]magman1979Alex_Vjony0radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Intel does have a point that macOS sucks if you are a gamer. The latest blockbuster titles just aren’t available on Mac, and that is a fact.  Of course many people buy macs for reasons other than gaming, but the gaming market is a still a relatively big market. 

Also, Apple could have chosen to use tiger lake and nvidia gpus, but famously opted not to do so, of course,  and intel is just highlighting that. 

Finally, tiger lake launched with 4 cores, so it couldn’t keep up with m1 and mobile  Ryzen 5000 in multithreaded heavy benchmarks, but tiger lake h with up to 8 cores is out, and it smokes m1 in multithreaded tasks and has taken the gaming crown from AMD, according to a recent Linus Tech Tips review of the 11800H. 
    dysamoriawilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 49
    Aren’t Intel history for us Mac users already? I mean, why even bother? Intel, Google, Microsoft, and other names having little to do with Apple keep popping up here all the time. What gives?

Also, 100% of Intel notebooks can’t do macOS😂
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 6 of 49
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Intel does have a point that macOS sucks if you are a gamer. The latest blockbuster titles just aren’t available on Mac, and that is a fact.  Of course many people buy macs for reasons other than gaming, but the gaming market is a still a relatively big market. 

Also, Apple could have chosen to use tiger lake and nvidia gpus, but famously opted not to do so, of course,  and intel is just highlighting that. 

Finally, tiger lake launched with 4 cores, so it couldn’t keep up with m1 and mobile  Ryzen 5000 in multithreaded heavy benchmarks, but tiger lake h with up to 8 cores is out, and it smokes m1 in multithreaded tasks and has taken the gaming crown from AMD, according to a recent Linus Tech Tips review of the 11800H. 
    Actually macOS could be a great gaming platform, it needs marketshare. macOS is much more stable and simpler than Windows, Metal is super fast. Apple Silicon is great and it is just the beginning. Time will tell.
    hackintoisier[Deleted User]dysamoriamagman1979KTRviclauyycBeatswilliamlondonjony0radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 49
    ikir said:

Actually macOS could be a great gaming platform, it needs marketshare. macOS is much more stable and simpler than Windows, Metal is super fast. Apple Silicon is great and it is just the beginning. Time will tell.
    I hope they do too. I don’t like windows at all and would prefer to game on Mac if I could. 
    dysamoriaBeatsradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Interesting that the Mac has now become the the computer for "Serious" computer users and Windows/PC the computer for those that play games.
    mwhitesportyguy209qwerty52dysamoriamagman1979Rayz2016larryjwAlex_Vlkruppviclauyyc
  • Reply 9 of 49
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    I have a hot pad in the kitchen to warm food up I DON'T need one on my lap....
    edited May 2021 the1maximustenthousandthingsAlex_VviclauyycBeatswilliamlondonjony0cwingravsconosciutoMplsP
  • Reply 10 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Intel then went on to offer data on the matter, including claims over half of "today's most popular games" are not supported on macOS itself. This attack is a little misguided for Intel, as Intel-based Macs running macOS still exist, and they cannot run games like Grand Theft Auto V or Cyberpunk 2077 natively either.

Emulation was also mentioned but shown to be ineffective with a demonstration of Valheim poorly running on Parallels on a Mac.
    Parallels gaming on M1 isn't even official yet and bugs are being fixed, the Valheim glitches are fixed using a config value (1:20):

Between all the compatibility options, there's a good list of working games:

https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_Parallels_Windows_compatible_games_list
    https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_CrossOver_Windows_compatible_games_list
    https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_native_compatible_games_list
    https://www.applegamingwiki.com/wiki/M1_Rosetta_2_compatible_games_list

People also don't have to choose Mac or PC. Decent gaming PCs are cheap now. 1660ti for $900, runs most games at 1080p Ultra 60FPS:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-1920x1080-Core-i5-10300H-GeForce/dp/B08CVTP6T6
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1660-Ti-Max-Q-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.418762.0.html

A PC like that can sit in the corner somewhere and stream via remote play to either a TV or Mac and that way it runs on a better quality display and the fan noise is less noticeable. That's a lot easier to setup than messing with software compatibility programs.

Obviously for people who only want a single computer for everything and need decent gaming, a PC will be the better option and that's been true for many years. Bootcamp improved things and for the last 8 years or so offered the possibility for decent gaming but it still needed rebooting all the time.
    blastdoor said:
    The fundamental problem with Mac gaming is software and consistency/commitment from apple. These are issues well within apple’s power to fix and I’m glad intel is pushing apple to fix them. But intel might regret providing that push if apple actually acts on it. 
    The Mac gaming audience is just much smaller, at least 1/10th-1/20th the size of the Windows platform. Making 10% extra revenue for years of support isn't worthwhile. The OpenGL/Metal/Vulkan issue doesn't help matters but loads of developers support iOS so the main issue is the audience.

Intel's comparison is just bizarre, they are effectively promoting Nvidia who is one of their biggest competitors. Nvidia is trying to buy ARM and even without a buyout, there's nothing stopping them from making their own ARM PCs:

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-arm-gaming-laptops/

Then they'll be cheaper than Intel PCs and will easily take significant marketshare away from Intel. Game devs will start supporting ARM better, which helps Apple.

Intel is flailing in panic just now because everybody can see that nobody needs them any more.
    pscooter63cg27ioniclejdb8167[Deleted User]baconstangravnorodomchiaBeatsjony0
  • Reply 11 of 49
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    entropys said:
    Fact check: true.

macs suck at games. And that is because of decisions made by Apple.

that said, I love the smell of intel panic in the morning.

Never been a problem for me. I just boot into windows natively and play all the PC games.
    magman1979Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 49
    rotateleftbyterotateleftbyte Posts: 1,630member
    I don't game. Never have, never will so that argument holds no water with me.
    W10 was the last straw for me.
    If I want to get stuff done then it is MacOS for me.
    I'm looking forward to moving to an Arm device in a couple of years and the intel can go pound sand.
    If I need an X86 powered device then I'll head over to AMD.
    Intel is toast as far as I'm concerned. This ad seems to be Intel..
    "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the Intel Way". (apologies to Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, 'Us and Them')

muthuk_vanalingambfrankspscooter63magman1979Alex_VlkruppbaconstangBeatsjony0radarthekat
  • Reply 13 of 49
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Interesting that the Mac has now become the the computer for "Serious" computer users and Windows/PC the computer for those that play games.
    Nice logic there!  Because Windows excels at gaming, you're consensus is that no one uses it for "serious" computing?  Tell that to the 90+ percent of businesses that use Windows servers and clients for their business.  How many businesses would you estimate use Mac to run their business (accounting, HR, management, etc.)...you know the real "serious" stuff?
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingamdysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 49
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Intel outside
    qwerty52Alex_VkillroyBeatstenthousandthingswilliamlondonjony0radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    When a 5 GHz clock is needed to be competitive, it's time to hang it up.
    dysamoriakillroyBeatswilliamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Nice logic there!  Because Windows excels at gaming, you're consensus is that no one uses it for "serious" computing?  Tell that to the 90+ percent of businesses that use Windows servers and clients for their business.  How many businesses would you estimate use Mac to run their business (accounting, HR, management, etc.)...you know the real "serious" stuff?
    I see a lot of iPads in stores, terminals and cheezy PCs with people playing that demanding game Minesweeper in their "spare" time. The cloud behind them runs a whole lotta Linux on AMD.
    edited May 2021 Beatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 49
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    Everyone knows that. I take my work seriously and therefore Mac fits the bill. Let’s gamers be gamers and use PC. Apple could careless. 
    magman1979Alex_V[Deleted User]baconstangBeatsjony0radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 49
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Sure, Windows business computing like waiting for virus scanning to complete, living in fear of whether your system will boot after the weekly MS OS fix update, hours of researching what tedious registry manipulations are needed to make your system work correctly, wondering what the heck is on your computer screen after corporate IT pushed out their monthly changes. Yeah, Windows Business Computing.
    dysamoriamagman1979Alex_V[Deleted User]baconstangchiaBeatsJanNLwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Intel must be desperate. 

So desperate they’re willing to attack their own chips if they can score a point against Apple. Hell hath no fury like a company scorned. 

Are Windows PCs better for gaming? Just on the availability of games I’d say yes. . Does it matter? No. 

It’s a bit like claiming that someone should buy a Volvo over a Ferrari because it comes with a tow bar. No one is buying a Ferrari to pull a caravan. 

No one is buying a Mac to play games. And yet, Apple seems to selling every one they make. So it’s quite possible that Apple isn’t interested in the PC gaming market. 
    In which case, what was the point of this ad again?
    Alex_VbaconstangBeatstmaywilliamlondonjony0radarthekatwatto_cobrakillroy
  • Reply 20 of 49
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    There’s nothing controversial in Intel’s claim. There’s maybe questionable methodology, but the overall message is factual: Macs aren’t gaming machines. That’s all on Apple.

They chose to build only compact machines, and to not support game developers / development (and to refuse to work with NVidia, who’s got the current preferred gaming GPU).

I’ve been waiting for years for Apple to put out a desktop-class power-user machine so I could run Mac OS for everything-but-games, and have a Windows installation just for games. I have zero shame in acknowledging that I like games, and they’re the only reason for me to EVER use Windows (and I don’t like consoles).

Every machine Apple has put out since 2013 is ill-suited for high-end gaming. I COULD run Windows on recent intel Macs, and play many somewhat-recent games on them, but I don’t trust the thermals (throttling & failure). I’ve had a MacBook Pro die from thermal stress caused by gaming & 3D rendering, and I won’t risk another on either task.

It’s no loss to me in giving up 3D rendering. Every single 3D modeling & rendering product is buggy, badly designed trash (and much is also now using the abusive subscription model). It’s crap you only put up with if it pays as a job... or you’re a highly tolerant geek (I’m not). But I STILL want to play games!

iMacs are hardly an improvement over MacBooks for raw power & thermal flexibility, and Apple keeps proving they’re dead set on continuing in that direction.

I never wanted to screw around with the hacky nonsense of eGPUs & Hackintoshes. Apple doesn’t even offer us a stand-alone display guaranteed to work on a Mac (see exception below), let alone provide consistent support for eGPUs themselves.

The Mac Pro isn’t even worth discussing. I can’t afford it. Given one as a gift would be awesome, and I’d certainly use it... and it’s also a total fantasy. The pro display alone is out of reach of average people’s incomes.

M1 transition comes along, and my fantasy of “one computer for everything” has been killed. The end; I have to get another PC.

So when I finally broke down and shopped for a gaming PC, I discovered that the latest GPUs are basically impossible to buy unless you want to (and can afford to) feed scalpers.

Yay computer industry; I effing hate ALL of you. Worst industry ever.

Except for the healthcare industry; that’s even more insane.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex_Vjdb8167baconstangtenthousandthingswilliamlondon