Apple TV app launches on Nvidia Shield with 4K, Dolby Atmos support

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
The Apple TV app and Apple TV+ are now available on the Android TV-based Nvidia Shield streaming device.

Credit: Nvidia
Credit: Nvidia

Starting June 1, Nvidia Shield owners will be able to stream content via the Apple TV app, including the Cupertino tech giant's full slate of originals and other TV shows and films purchased through Apple's platforms.

The support includes 4K HDR picture quality and Dolby Atmos. Owners of a 2019 Nvidia Shield model will also be able to take advantage of 4K AI-based upscaling, which allows older content to appear sharper on higher-resolution displays. Additionally, all Shield users will be able to control the Apple TV app using basic Google Assistant commands.

Nvidia Shield supports come ahead of the release of Apple TV+'s summer content lineup, which includes the second seasons of "Ted Lasso" and "Home Before Dark," as well as new content like "Physical" and "Lisey's Story."

Earlier in 2021, Apple expanded its Apple TV app and Apple TV+ service to Chromecast with Google TV hardware.

Nvidia's Shield media player is built on Android TV, and also allows users to transform their Shield TV devices to gaming rigs using GeForce Now.

New subscribers can also net a seven-day free trial to Apple TV+.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Meanwhile, Hulu still only does stereo sound on Apple TV boxes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Apple hasn't brought iMessage to Android, apparently from fear that some users will leave the Apple ecosystem. But Apple is bringing the Apple TV app to other platforms. I wonder why this inconsistency exists.
    edited June 2021 Peza
  • Reply 3 of 6
    semi_guysemi_guy Posts: 64member
    Apple hasn't brought iMessage to Android, apparently from fear that some users will leave the Apple ecosystem. But Apple is bringing the Apple TV app to other platforms. I wonder why this inconsistency exists.
    Maybe because Apple does not make a TV. They are trying to sell the Apple TV+ service and not require Apple TV hardware. iMessage is not a service you subscribe, so it's not something they are trying to promote.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    Money & selling a service (Apple TV+ subscription).

iMessage is exclusive to Apple.  How will it bring them any money?  Do you think Android users would pay for it? (LOL)

I think Apple is making good business decisions in both cases.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    semi_guy said:
    Maybe because Apple does not make a TV. They are trying to sell the Apple TV+ service and not require Apple TV hardware. iMessage is not a service you subscribe, so it's not something they are trying to promote.
    You seem to think that iMessage is an exclusive so that Apple doesn't lose iPhone sales, but you also think Apple TV App isn't an exclusive even though Apple will lose Apple TV hardware sales. I don't understand why you hold these two hardware devices to a different standard.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    nicholfd said:
    iMessage is exclusive to Apple.  How will it bring them any money?  Do you think Android users would pay for it? (LOL) 
    I think Apple is making good business decisions in both cases.
    I'll tell you how Apple could make money from Android users. You seem unaware that using Apple Pay inside iMessages gives Apple a small cut. Especially if those users are using Apple Card. Do you understand?

If you read my post again, you'll realize I wasn't arguing that iMessage should be ported to Android, I was arguing that there was an inconsistency. In both cases Apple will lose hardware sales, and gain some services income. So why is Apple inconsistent?