Apple launches new Pride music page celebrating LGBTQ+ artists

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
In June 2021, Apple Music will highlight LGBTQ+ content every Sunday, and the company has also created a dedicated Apple Music Pride page to celebrate year-round.

Apple launches new Pride music page celebrating LGBTQ+ artists

The content available will include curated playlists, exclusive DJ mixes, and short-form videos called "Pride Talks" with artists such as King Princess and Janelle Monae.

The space will also highlight Pride through the decades, new music from LGBTQ+ artists, groundbreaking albums by queer performers, and guest playlists from big names like Kylie Minogue.

In addition to new content for Pride Month, Apple has also launched a dedicated Apple Music Pride page, which will remain up year-round. The page will host all the playlists, videos, and interviews from Pride Month.

According to MacRumors, there will be Apple Music TV 24-hour takeovers on June 6, June 13, June 20, and June 27 as well.

Apple has celebrated Pride in a number of ways in years past. In 2019, a Shot on iPhone ad campaign took viewers to the Gay Rodeo.

Recently, Apple announced two new Pride-themed Apple Watch bands. The new Braided Solo Loop design incorporates more colors to represent additional Pride flags across the LGBTQ+ spectrum. A new Nike Sport Loop band shows off the traditional Pride flag colors.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    I like Classical music, asked Apple Music not to suggest Pop, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, etc., and apparently it takes that to mean that I *really* want to see those when I browse, particularly Rap.  I don't need to see their curated political cause-of-the-month stuff either - is there any way to not get this other content pushed constantly other than unsubscribing?
    mobirdJapheydbvapor
  • Reply 2 of 32
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    mrstep said:
    I like Classical music, asked Apple Music not to suggest Pop, Rap, Hip Hop, Country, etc., and apparently it takes that to mean that I *really* want to see those when I browse, particularly Rap.  I don't need to see their curated political cause-of-the-month stuff either - is there any way to not get this other content pushed constantly other than unsubscribing?
    Is this "political cause-of-the-month stuff" because it's about Pride, or are you against every promotion? Do you like Black History Month in Apple Music, for example, or should it be hidden from you because you haven't specifically chosen to receive such an event? Must there be a switch for every event they want to promote so you can go into the Settings and turn them all off?

You don't have to listen to the Pride playlists, etc. No one is forcing you. Apple are a global company and their customers are diverse. By specifically excluding things like Pride month, they would be specifically excluding some of their customers. There is nothing wrong with Apple promoting Pride month. This is just you not wanting to see it at all.
    brometheusfastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 32
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    So far not a lot of Q in their LGBTQ+ playlists (about 3 breakthru dance hits as far as I can see). 

Just dance club music, hey fun for a night out or to get you threw Friday afternoon at work in a long week, or Wednesday if it's a really long week. Still to bill this as representing LGBTQ+ people really sells the community short and in a rather comfortable box that conservatives can handle as "those people" not just everyday people who happen to in part of their life be non-heterosexual. 

• Reply 4 of 32
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 38unconfirmed, member
    mattinoz said:
    So far not a lot of Q in their LGBTQ+ playlists (about 3 breakthru dance hits as far as I can see). 

Just dance club music, hey fun for a night out or to get you threw Friday afternoon at work in a long week, or Wednesday if it's a really long week. Still to bill this as representing LGBTQ+ people really sells the community short and in a rather comfortable box that conservatives can handle as "those people" not just everyday people who happen to in part of their life be non-heterosexual. 

I listened to it and enjoyed it but honestly could not tell what music is indicative of what group or what was missing. You've got me curious so I'll go do some research and listening. I sense your frustration might be like if there was an old straight white person mix and all it had was 80's rock, whereas I quite like jazz, blues, alt-rock and classical (and more)  from many eras.
    mattinozBeats
  • Reply 5 of 32
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    GeeAye said:
    mattinoz said:

I listened to it and enjoyed it but honestly could not tell what music is indicative of what group or what was missing. You've got me curious so I'll go do some research and listening. I sense your frustration might be like if there was an old straight white person mix and all it had was 80's rock, whereas I quite like jazz, blues, alt-rock and classical (and more)  from many eras.

Consider the artist’s sexual identity. Lil Nas X for example, is gay so I assume his music would be on there. I haven’t checked the playlist myself.

Where’s my straight old man mix????
    dbvapor
  • Reply 6 of 32
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:
    Is this "political cause-of-the-month stuff" because it's about Pride, or are you against every promotion? Do you like Black History Month in Apple Music, for example, or should it be hidden from you because you haven't specifically chosen to receive such an event? Must there be a switch for every event they want to promote so you can go into the Settings and turn them all off?

You don't have to listen to the Pride playlists, etc. No one is forcing you. Apple are a global company and their customers are diverse. By specifically excluding things like Pride month, they would be specifically excluding some of their customers. There is nothing wrong with Apple promoting Pride month. This is just you not wanting to see it at all.
    The dude just wants to listen to his classical. Is that ok with you? There is nothing wrong with Apple promoting whatever “month” is this month. Unless, of course, the user has specifically asked not to be notified about anything outside of their genre of choice. Some people just want to open the app and start listening, without having to sift through whatever social cause is being currently promoted. It doesn’t mean that these people don’t support those causes, or even that they are conservative. It simply means that they only want to listen to what they want to listen to and don’t need, or want, any input from Apple about what that might be. Does that seem like a fair expectation to have? Or, have I somehow triggered you too?
    mrstep
  • Reply 7 of 32
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

I just signed up last week, the coming lossless + surround finally convinced me to give it a try.  It's putting all kinds of stuff in the Browse section that I have no interest in and specifically tried to opt out of, this just sounds like they plan to run other one-off categories that I'm not interested in.  You can listen to what you want and see as many promotions as you like, what you're describing sounds as annoying as Samsung placing ads in their smart TV interface.  Obviously they're a global company which is why I'd assume they have a way to manage content, they're bound to have have things that aren't interesting to everyone.  So your advice is just have a UI full of stuff I'm not looking for - helpful!
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

The dude just wants to listen to his classical. Is that ok with you? There is nothing wrong with Apple promoting whatever “month” is this month. Unless, of course, the user has specifically asked not to be notified about anything outside of their genre of choice. Some people just want to open the app and start listening, without having to sift through whatever social cause is being currently promoted. It doesn’t mean that these people don’t support those causes, or even that they are conservative. It simply means that they only want to listen to what they want to listen to and don’t need, or want, any input from Apple about what that might be. Does that seem like a fair expectation to have? Or, have I somehow triggered you too?
    Thanks. Yeah, Apple can promote whatever, I just don't want to have to waste my time skipping over things I didn't ask to see in the first place. I currently have to scroll all the way to the bottom of Browse - which is full of playlists for stuff I didn't ask for and/or already thumbs-downed - then drill into Categories, then scroll down to Classical, drill in there, and then I can see new releases.  Fun!  I could search, but I'd like to see new albums.  Is there maybe a way to pin categories of interest to the top level menu?  Clearly it's a threatening ask. :/
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mrstep said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

Thanks. Yeah, Apple can promote whatever, I just don't want to have to waste my time skipping over things I didn't ask to see in the first place. I currently have to scroll all the way to the bottom of Browse - which is full of playlists for stuff I didn't ask for and/or already thumbs-downed - then drill into Categories, then scroll down to Classical, drill in there, and then I can see new releases.  Fun!  I could search, but I'd like to see new albums.  Is there maybe a way to pin categories of interest to the top level menu?  Clearly it's a threatening ask. :/
    Don't you just go straight to the "For Me" tab?
    For everything else there is search tab. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 32
    dbvapordbvapor Posts: 33member
    mrstep said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

I just signed up last week, the coming lossless + surround finally convinced me to give it a try.  It's putting all kinds of stuff in the Browse section that I have no interest in and specifically tried to opt out of, this just sounds like they plan to run other one-off categories that I'm not interested in.  You can listen to what you want and see as many promotions as you like, what you're describing sounds as annoying as Samsung placing ads in their smart TV interface.  Obviously they're a global company which is why I'd assume they have a way to manage content, they're bound to have have things that aren't interesting to everyone.  So your advice is just have a UI full of stuff I'm not looking for - helpful!
    I agree they should have an option to turn off that stuff, just like the million different holidays in Calendar.  One tip I would recommend is to check out the New Music mix as it is supposed to offer up music you may like.  After a week or two it really started to dial me in and I love the music I discover thru it now.  Just make sure to “love” the tracks that you like so it can start catering to your tastes properly. 
    mrstep
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mattinoz said:
    mrstep said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

Assuming you mean 'Listen Now', yes, but going to a specific category under Browse shows a *lot* more new content than what it's suggesting in Listen Now.  If I could pin Classical (and Classic Rock) sub-sections up to the menu, I'd just never visit Browse again and call it a win.

Search works, but I have a fairly large library and like the idea of finding other new content, so the Browse thing seems like it would be a winner...  I mean, I'll do the drill / scroll / drill / scroll / drill and ignore all of the things I specifically said i don't want to see already to get there, but... :/
  • Reply 12 of 32
    mrstep said:
    mattinoz said:
    mrstep said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

Assuming you mean 'Listen Now', yes, but going to a specific category under Browse shows a *lot* more new content than what it's suggesting in Listen Now.  If I could pin Classical (and Classic Rock) sub-sections up to the menu, I'd just never visit Browse again and call it a win.

Search works, but I have a fairly large library and like the idea of finding other new content, so the Browse thing seems like it would be a winner...  I mean, I'll do the drill / scroll / drill / scroll / drill and ignore all of the things I specifically said i don't want to see already to get there, but... :/
    In the Mac app it's called "For You" and yes would be handy if you could pin a music style in there. Have you tried sending product feedback to request?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    mrstep said: Yeah, Apple can promote whatever, I just don't want to have to waste my time skipping over things I didn't ask to see in the first place.
    If you're a recent sign-up and all you want to do is listen to classical, then you really just need to do that...listen to classical through the Apple Music app. That will fill the 'For You' section with a variety of suggestions and methods for listening to classical. You just need to use the service. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mattinoz said:
    mrstep said:
    mattinoz said:
    mrstep said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

In the Mac app it's called "For You" and yes would be handy if you could pin a music style in there. Have you tried sending product feedback to request?
    Not any more, that tab is gone. It's now "Listen Now".
  • Reply 15 of 32
    mrstep said:
    Japhey said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

"Browse" is literally the gateway into everything on Apple Music. You don't ever have to go there if you don't want to.

What you, and others here, should be doing is using the controls in Music to Love things you like on a regular basis, and the the "Listen Now" tab will be full of stuff that it thinks you might be interested in. It already does this based on your listening habits to begin with, but actively liking things helps that along, as does adding things to your Library, etc. 

I agree that some things are harder to drill into, but 9/10 times I find what I want in the Listen Now (formerly "For You") tab in the various rows — either more in a genre I've been listening to, more by an artist I've been listening to, new releases across all things I like, updated mixes based on things I like, so forth. 

Yes, if you want to drill into specifically Classical New Releases it's a few steps, but isn't that the same anywhere? 
  • Reply 16 of 32
    dbvapor said:
    mrstep said:
    darkpaw said:
    mrstep said:

I agree they should have an option to turn off that stuff, just like the million different holidays in Calendar.  One tip I would recommend is to check out the New Music mix as it is supposed to offer up music you may like.  After a week or two it really started to dial me in and I love the music I discover thru it now.  Just make sure to “love” the tracks that you like so it can start catering to your tastes properly. 
    News flash, you can and always have been able to turn off the Holidays Calendar. It's just a subscription you can unsubscribe from, or uncheck in your Calendars list. Dunno how you miss something like this, but here you go:

• Reply 17 of 32
    mrstep said:

You need to give it some time to figure out what you do and do not like. I got loads of country music and rap in my playlists, and just marked them as "suggest less like this". It refines it as you go, but it doesn't know you and your likes. You have to feed it the info.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Japhey said:

I think you missed my point. He can listen to whatever music he likes, but Apple has every right to promote certain causes because some of their customers will enjoy those recommendations. It's Pride month; that's just a fact. There are thousands of businesses promoting things this month, like they promote Black History Month etc. It's Global Running Day this week; I guess Apple shouldn't give people an Apple Watch badge for doing a treadmill workout on that day because some people don't like running? They just create the playlist and release it; they're not targeting anyone.

Also, there is no option to excuse yourself from such promotions, so they just promote them. They aren't being sent specifically to this guy, so he shouldn't really grumble that it's being pushed onto him.

As I've already mentioned, Apple Music requires you to give it the info so it can be better tailored to your requirements. You need to tell it you don't like certain songs. It'll get better. You can't expect it to be 100% tailored to you at any point.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Beats said:
    GeeAye said:
    mattinoz said:

Consider the artist’s sexual identity. Lil Nas X for example, is gay so I assume his music would be on there. I haven’t checked the playlist myself.

Try some good old Judas Priest…… Oh wait, Rob Halford came out a long time ago.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Beats said:

Here you go.