New job ad suggests Apple launching 'homeOS' [u]

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2021
An Apple Music job posting initially referred to a previously unknown "homeOS" in its listing of Apple's mobile platforms.

Apple may be about to reveal a new OS
Apple may be about to reveal a new OS

A previously unannounced additional "homeOS" platform was been mentioned in the job description for a software engineer working in Apple Music. Originally spotted by Twitter users and now confirmed by AppleInsider, the listing made two references to the new OS.

Os traigo una novedad gracias al chivatazo de @JotaEle_: "homeOS" ser el prximo sistema operativo de Apple segn revela una oferta de empleo de la propia Apple. Lo considera "mvil".https://t.co/v4jv6mFljF pic.twitter.com/af2t9rBiFW

-- Javier Lacort (@jlacort)

The tweeted screenshot shows only that it is a job for "stellar software engineers." However, AppleInsider can now confirm that the "homeOS" references are in at least one posting for a Senior iOS Engineer - Apple Music, based in Cupertino. The ad was posted by Apple on May 25, 2021.

At shortly before 12:15 AM ET, Apple pushed out a revised description that removed the first of the two "homeOS" references. Shortly after that time, it published a subsequent revision that replaced the second reference too.

The job ad now says that the successful applicant will be "learning the inner-workings of iOS, watchOS, tvOS and HomePod" instead of "homeOS."

The second reference, which listed Apple's mobile platforms, has changed from "iOS, watchOS, and homeOS," to "iOS, watchOS, and tvOS." Arguably tvOS is not a mobile operating system, but then nor is the HomeKit that may replace.

It's conceivable that "homeOS" is to be announced at the forthcoming WWDC on June 7. It may be a development or rebranding of HomeKit, in the way that OS X was rebranded to macOS at WWDC 2016.

However, Microsoft has had a smart home platform called HomeOS since 2010.

Prior to its launch of HomeKit in 2014, though, sources had claimed that the smart home technology would be called homeOS.

Updated: 12:15 PM ET as Apple replaced the references to "homeOS."

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    ...or maybe it's the OS for the HomePod replacement. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    HomeKit isn’t an operating system, though, is it? Why would they rebrand that to a name that says it is?

The OS for HomePod does seem far more likely, and it fits the naming convention for everything else in Apple’s lineup. 
    williamlondonrcfafastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The OS on homepods is obviously Darwin based and a derivative of the iOS/tvOS branch. It simply has no branded name, as it’s supposed to be something that’s as unobtrusive as possible. OS updates happen automatically, there are no public betas, etc.

In short, either homeOS is how Apple refers to it internally, or some successor to what runs on HomePods will have a higher profile and more functions, and thus gain a customer facing brand name. The most likely functionality added: apps

Either way: no big deal, because it’s obvious that Apple won’t let the HomePod line stagnate and wither.
    edited June 2021 selleringtonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Or, homeOS replaces everything home-related, i.e., tvOS will be discontinued/be part of homeOS.

And then we wait for carOS.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    PLEASE. I thought of this idea 5 years ago along with other OSes. The idea was that you can load these OSes to iPads for specific functions.

Now maybe the idea would be overkill since the App Store covers so much ground. At the same time, it could give Apple more focus on specific industries like retailOS for POS systems which the iPad is popular for.

rcfa said:
    The OS on homepods is obviously Darwin based and a derivative of the iOS/tvOS branch. It simply has no branded name, as it’s supposed to be something that’s as unobtrusive as possible. OS updates happen automatically, there are no public betas, etc.

In short, either homeOS is how Apple refers to it internally, or some successor to what runs on HomePods will have a higher profile and more functions, and thus gain a customer facing brand name. The most likely functionality added: apps

Either way: no big deal, because it’s obvious that Apple won’t let the HomePod line stagnate and wither.

Isn’t the HomePod OS internally called audioOS or something like that? Someone linked me to the Wikipedia article when I complained that Apple didn’t allow HomePod apps.

JosephAUwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    Specifically for HomePods... with a screen.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    Home-OS. Homos. Cool.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Yup, this is almost exactly what I predicted yesterday in the article about WWDC expectations, and I was completely ignored. Nestled neatly between the M1 reveal in ‘20 and the rumored AR reveal in ‘22, Apple Home, or HomeOS, will get its chance to shine next week. RIP HomeKit. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Beats said:
    PLEASE. I thought of this idea 5 years ago along with other OSes. The idea was that you can load these OSes to iPads for specific functions.
    That’s not what this is, though. 

Now maybe the idea would be overkill since the App Store covers so much ground. At the same time, it could give Apple more focus on specific industries like retailOS for POS systems which the iPad is popular for.
    Why would you need an entire OS dedicated to retail instead of just running a POS app, like the way people already use iPads in retail?
    FileMakerFellerwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:

Why would you need an entire OS dedicated to retail instead of just running a POS app, like the way people already use iPads in retail?

A problem schools were facing was kids using iPads for games and uses outside of school work. Dedicated OSes solve these problems. It naturally also gets Apple involved in the space and gives them more control. I’m sure “random POS app x” is crap. 

“Like the way people already use iPads in retail?”
    I’m sure you’re being sarcastic but no, not the way they’re using them now, BETTER. Why not get more involved, add product stickiness and take 70%+ of POS stickiness where people EXPECT iPads to be the POS system. Here where I live only the small mom and pop shops use iPads and the other half use Clover which is an OS specifically for business. The big money-maker chains are using old school ugly outdated POS systems. Apple can solve this problem.

Remember people were using credit cards before Apple Card, people were buying CDs before iTunes, you get the point. 
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

A problem schools were facing was kids using iPads for games and uses outside of school work. Dedicated OSes solve these problems. It naturally also gets Apple involved in the space and gives them more control. I’m sure “random POS app x” is crap. 

I’m sure you’re being sarcastic but no, not the way they’re using them now, BETTER. Why not get more involved, add product stickiness and take 70%+ of POS stickiness where people EXPECT iPads to be the POS system. Here where I live only the small mom and pop shops use iPads and the other half use Clover which is an OS specifically for business. The big money-maker chains are using old school ugly outdated POS systems. Apple can solve this problem.

Remember people were using credit cards before Apple Card, people were buying CDs before iTunes, you get the point. 
    Why does anyone expect an iPad as a PoS device?

PoS terminals should not care about the hardware as long as it does the job.

In a push, you can use your phone as a PoS if necessary although most places where I live simply bring the wireless PoS terminal to me and I pay from wherever I am.

No need for iPads, tablets or phones in those situations which probably make up the vast majority of payments. 
    fastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 12 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. iPads in schools and games? That's what locking down devices with MDM is for, Apple provides this now for education via Apple School Manager. No dedicated OS needed for any reason here.

"
    I’m sure “random POS app x” is crap." — Really? Have you used all of them? There are plenty of highly rated POS platforms for iPadOS out there. There's literally no reason for Apple to get into this space when it's thoroughly covered by third parties. Even if they did their own retail software to compete with others (again, why would they), there's no problem here that would be solved by a dedicated retail OS for iPad. It makes zero sense.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra