What to expect from WWDC 2021 - and what not to

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:
    I really want to hear Apple announce that M1 apps from the Mac App Store will be able to run directly on the M1 iPad Pro. I just don't get the purpose of a 16 GB RAM/1 or 2 TB M1 iPad Pro unless the device will be able to run Mac apps (vs 8 GB RAM/256 or 512 GB models). I suppose I get it for high end video editing, but other than that, I don't get its purpose otherwise.
    I think Apple will, but not the way you think or hope for, or anyone seems to be aware of. 
    It seems obvious to me that Apple will make the iPad Pro instantly dual boot: as soon as you’ll connect your mouse or an external screen, iPadOS will offer to switch to macOS, effectively converting you 13” iPad in a 13” ‘MacBook’. Why not? That wouldn’t be a compromise, for the screen as well as the rest of the hardware of the iPad Pro is perfectly capable of running a desktop class OS…   

Disconnecting you screen could simply offer you to return to iOS…

It surprises me that no one else on the internet seems to consider this possibility…?
    It’s been mentioned here dozens of times. And still It’s an incredibly stupid idea, like all the merging of macOS and iPadOS ideas. 
    I don’t think you’ve read my comment. I’m explicitly NOT talking about merging. I’m talking about being able to distinctly run either macOS or iPadOS on the same device. The iPad Pro (especially the 12.9” version and more especially the exorbitant 16Gb 1Tb+ version) is ready for it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 45
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:
    I really want to hear Apple announce that M1 apps from the Mac App Store will be able to run directly on the M1 iPad Pro. I just don't get the purpose of a 16 GB RAM/1 or 2 TB M1 iPad Pro unless the device will be able to run Mac apps (vs 8 GB RAM/256 or 512 GB models). I suppose I get it for high end video editing, but other than that, I don't get its purpose otherwise.
    I think Apple will, but not the way you think or hope for, or anyone seems to be aware of. 
    It seems obvious to me that Apple will make the iPad Pro instantly dual boot: as soon as you’ll connect your mouse or an external screen, iPadOS will offer to switch to macOS, effectively converting you 13” iPad in a 13” ‘MacBook’. Why not? That wouldn’t be a compromise, for the screen as well as the rest of the hardware of the iPad Pro is perfectly capable of running a desktop class OS…   

It surprises me that no one else on the internet seems to consider this possibility…?
    It’s been mentioned here dozens of times. And still It’s an incredibly stupid idea, like all the merging of macOS and iPadOS ideas. 
    I don’t think you’ve read my comment. I’m explicitly NOT talking about merging. I’m talking about being able to distinctly run either macOS or iPadOS on the same device. The iPad Pro (especially the 12.9” version and more especially the exorbitant 16Gb 1Tb+ version) is ready for it.
    Make no mistake - he read your comment because the exact same thing has been suggested by GeorgeBMac/myself and few others in other threads. Many people are against this idea as well, among other ideas (of merging iPad OS and MacOS), but their reasoning seems to be questionable so far to me. I still hope Apple will implement this soon. Fingers crossed.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 45
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dotcomcto said:
    That's not how anything works, though. Mac apps are compiled using macOS APIs that relate to that environment and don't translate to iPadOS directly for touch or any other things like compensating for a lack of oh, everything Mac — menus, etc. Whether they make it easier to make universal apps that work on both by expanding Catalyst bidirectionally is another story, but currently that's not how it works.

Possible purposes of extra RAM: more robust multitasking, pro apps (FCP, Logic) ports, literally just enabling higher power apps in general, etc. Why does it have to be "Mac apps" when they said they're not merging the OSes so many times and there are plenty of other reasonable explanations?

And before you say that they should just do it because the hardware can support it, think about how many Mac apps out there would be miserable or impossible to use on an iPad for any number of reasons. Have you considered all the myriad input controls, and how they'd scale on various device sizes? Window handling in any capacity? 

edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 45
    dotcomcto said:
    dotcomcto said:
    I really want to hear Apple announce that M1 apps from the Mac App Store will be able to run directly on the M1 iPad Pro.
    Even if that happened, which is unlikely, it would still require recompiling. Because apps for different OS's (macOS and iPadOS) use different APIs/kits. The alternative is for Apple to make both OSs support the same APIs, and Apple has had full screen slides saying: NO.

Are you asking for macOS and iPadOS to merge? If not, then recompiling is required.
    For a short while, there was the ability to sideload iOS apps on M1 Macs - which Apple subsequently shut down. That said, Apple does have Project Catalyst: https://developer.apple.com/mac-catalyst/

I do not see a reason why Apple wouldn't ultimately want that to work in both directions. It would be a win-win for Apple, as well as developers. 
    They didn't shut anything down, iPad apps can run on MacOS, and developers can opt out of it if they like.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 45
    "It's highly unlikely that Craig Federighi will just hold up a processor to the camera."

Sure, especially because Craig runs software and doesn't present hardware.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

Make no mistake - he read your comment because the exact same thing has been suggested by GeorgeBMac/myself and few others in other threads. Many people are against this idea as well, among other ideas (of merging iPad OS and MacOS), but their reasoning seems to be questionable so far to me. I still hope Apple will implement this soon. Fingers crossed.
    My language was intemperate, so I apologise for that. But it is not going to happen.  Apple does not want to produce a macOS device which is bad at running macOS. And it already sells laptops within that price range which are good at running macOS. Dual boot won't happen. 
    williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 45
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

My language was intemperate, so I apologise for that. But it is not going to happen.  Apple does not want to produce a macOS device which is bad at running macOS. And it already sells laptops within that price range which are good at running macOS. Dual boot won't happen. 
    No need to apologize, I didn't find your previous comment as offensive one. I usually enjoy reading your comments, unlike few members who are hostile/ultra-aggressive towards others for posting even mild criticism of Apple.

Coming back to the point, why do you think the highest specced iPad Pro with M1 is bad at running macOS? 

M1 - Tick
    16 GB RAM - Tick
    13" display - Tick
    1 TB Storage - Tick
    Keyboard/Mouse - Can be made as pre-requisite for using MacOS

What exactly is missing in that highest end iPad Pro which would make it bad at running macOS?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 45
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

No need to apologize, I didn't find your previous comment as offensive one. I usually enjoy reading your comments, unlike few members who are hostile/ultra-aggressive towards others for posting even mild criticism of Apple.

Coming back to the point, why do you think the highest specced iPad Pro with M1 is bad at running macOS? 

M1 - Tick
    16 GB RAM - Tick
    13" display - Tick
    1 TB Storage - Tick

What exactly is missing in that highest end iPad Pro which would make it bad at running macOS?
    Uhm, Apple isn't going to potentially fuck up the premier device in the "tablet" category in an attempt of making it a 2 in 1, so no, no Mac OS on iPad. Most people using the iPad don't want the complexity of a desktop OS, and that is what Mac OS would have to bring.

If there ever is a 2 in 1 from Apple, it will be a completely new device, almost certainly with its own OS, requiring that the developer deliver an app specifically for that OS.
    edited June 2021 thedbawilliamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 45
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

OK how do you handle it then?
    iPad docked in magic keyboard ==> running MacOS.
    Undock the iPad and ==> MacOS goes to sleep and iPad OS wakes?
    What happens to your Excel spreadsheet in MacOS? It goes to sleep when you undock and don't have access to it any longer because you're now in iPad OS and the Excel version for that OS, is strictly sandboxed? 
    What happens to you mobile bank app in iPad OS if you suddenly sit down and dock your iPad to the Magic Keyboard? It disappears? Are you expecting it to automatically transition you to the bank's web page? 
    All of this may sound easy but am quite certain that it will cause major headaches to the software engineering team that takes up that challenge, not to mention app developers. 
    In the end, if you want a lightweight MacOS device, then MacBook Air may be your best bet. If you wait 'till October you may even get a smaller lighter redesigned for Apple Silicon version of it.  
    tmaywilliamlondonrobabafastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 45
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    dotcomcto said:

I thought about the idea of dual boot, but, as I wrote in a different post, that doesn't feel like, "The Apple Way". Apple's whole mantra has been around, "It just works." So, in that mode of thinking, I would expect Apple to provide appropriate APIs to help abstract away the low level details, and allow Mac M1 apps to "just work" on M1 iPad Pro. Now, that doesn't mean it'll be immediately available, or that there's no developer work to do to make that happen. I'd just like to hear Apple indicate that this is where we're headed. It's logical in that it's an extension of an already existing Apple project, and it serves to sell more units while giving Apple developers a larger install base to access with a single codebase.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 31 of 45
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    dotcomcto said:
    dotcomcto said:
    I really want to hear Apple announce that M1 apps from the Mac App Store will be able to run directly on the M1 iPad Pro.
    Even if that happened, which is unlikely, it would still require recompiling. Because apps for different OS's (macOS and iPadOS) use different APIs/kits. The alternative is for Apple to make both OSs support the same APIs, and Apple has had full screen slides saying: NO.

Are you asking for macOS and iPadOS to merge? If not, then recompiling is required.
    For a short while, there was the ability to sideload iOS apps on M1 Macs - which Apple subsequently shut down. That said, Apple does have Project Catalyst: https://developer.apple.com/mac-catalyst/

I do not see a reason why Apple wouldn't ultimately want that to work in both directions. It would be a win-win for Apple, as well as developers. 
    I would love it if you were right, but here was Apple's slide on the question of merging iOS with macOS. I know they were talking about iOS, not iPadOS, but I think the answer would be the same for both OSs. Remember, the OSs (macOS and iPadOS) are not binary compatible because apps for each one are compiled with different APIs. So unless Apple wants to port the APIs themselves, developers would have a lot of work to recode and recompile.

As you indicated, Catalyst is the opposite of what you are asking for. And it's optional, not mandatory. It sounds to me like you are asking for complete compatibility, not just voluntary compatibility by recompiling with new libraries.

Yeah, I could have been clearer about that. So, I don't think it's a 'flip the switch' kind of thing, though that'd be incredible. I think having a common ARM-based platform helps tremendously because there's no need for a Rosetta-type translation across hardware platforms. I would like Apple to show some clear direction for developers to target any M1-based platform. The ability for developers to be able to reach a larger, cross-platform audience with (hopefully) minimal effort has to be appealing to Apple, developers, and users...IMHO.

From a hardware perspective, as I said initially, I'm having a hard time understanding an iPad Pro with 8 GB RAM + 256/512 GB storage vs 16 GB RAM + 1/2 TB storage. Aside from high end video editing, I'm not sure why the 16 GB RAM + 1/2 TB storage exists if not for the ability to run Mac apps that can utilize that kind of memory + storage. That's my theory, at least. I hope we see that happen next week.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Contact lenses? Give me a break. We won’t have magical microscopic electronics even by 2030. Also: It’s hard enough to get people to wear contact lenses for actual necessary vision correction.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    dabigkahunadabigkahuna Posts: 465member
    mvmaastricht said:
    I've wondered about that for years and don't see why it couldn't work pretty well. I certainly hear people, including Apple, criticizing an iPad that runs mac0S. But I haven't seen a good reason for the criticism.

Oh, I can see reasons Apple may not want to do it. But that's a separate issue. Apple does (or doesn't do) plenty of stuff that I think are based on their bottom line, not what customers may want.

Right now I'm just looking at this as a dual boot system - that switches pretty much instantly. If I want to run Mac apps, I boot to that. I can see real advantages to me.

So I'm not talking about a unified OS. Just two separate OSes.

I would still allow touch when running Mac apps. I know there are issues with the size of touch targets, but this would just be something you could do in cases where it works fine, though mostly you'd use a mouse or trackpad.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 45
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    longpath said:
    MplsP said:
    longpath said:
    tkchap said:
    Apple Watch 3 can only be updated by unpairing now; I can see it being dropped. 
    I updated my Apple Watch series 3 without any such gyrations. It’s unreasonable for Apple to still be selling a product in the same year they drop support for it. 
    the cellular version will update fine, it's the GPS version that won't. Apple actually came out and said last week that they recommended unpairing the AW3 to update it.
    I'm aware of this; but the blanket statement, "Apple Watch 3 can only be updated by unpairing now" without a qualifier that this is only true of the GPS version, is a false statement.
    you were aware of it, yet you posted that you updated your series 3 without issue, implying that there isn't an issue with Series 3 watches; saying there isn't an issue with Series 3 is also a false statement.

Regardless, you're correct. Apple shouldn't be selling the series 3 at all, IMO.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tmay said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

M1 - Tick
    16 GB RAM - Tick
    13" display - Tick
    1 TB Storage - Tick

Uhm, Apple isn't going to potentially fuck up the premier device in the "tablet" category in an attempt of making it a 2 in 1, so no, no Mac OS on iPad. Most people using the iPad don't want the complexity of a desktop OS, and that is what Mac OS would have to bring.

If there ever is a 2 in 1 from Apple, it will be a completely new device, almost certainly with its own OS, requiring that the developer deliver an app specifically for that OS.
    The problem, as Apple sees it, is that the switch to their own processor line across the board  doesn’t change the fact that this will still compromise two product lines. 

The Mac will be constrained because Apple has to consider what future applications may have to run on an iPad and constrain developers accordingly. 

The iPad will be constrained in terms of weight and size because Apple has to remember that it always has to run MacOS. 
    tmay
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

M1 - Tick
    16 GB RAM - Tick
    13" display - Tick
    1 TB Storage - Tick

The problem, as Apple sees it, is that the switch to their own processor line across the board  doesn’t change the fact that this will still compromise two product lines. 

The Mac will be constrained because Apple has to consider what future applications may have to run on an iPad and constrain developers accordingly. 

The iPad will be constrained in terms of weight and size because Apple has to remember that it always has to run MacOS. 
    Not sure if you are mixing up 2 different ideas - Idea 1: Merging iPadOS with MacOS. Idea 2: Keep iPadOS (touch based) and MacOS (non-touch, works only with keyboard and Mouse) completely separate as they exist today, and allow dual-boot option (for those who need it) in the highest end iPad Pro depending on the accessories attached to it.

The points you mentioned are applicable to idea 1, i.e. Merging iPadOS with MacOS. For implementing idea 2, none of the points that you mentioned would be applicable. There is absolutely NO change needed in the iPad Pro (M1, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) hardware to make it capable of running MacOS. 

Again, I am not getting what exactly is getting compromised in this scenario?
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 45
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Rayz2016 said:
    tmay said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    dotcomcto said:

M1 - Tick
    16 GB RAM - Tick
    13" display - Tick
    1 TB Storage - Tick

Not sure if you are mixing up 2 different ideas - Idea 1: Merging iPadOS with MacOS. Idea 2: Keep iPadOS (touch based) and MacOS (non-touch, works only with keyboard and Mouse) completely separate as they exist today, and allow dual-boot option (for those who need it) in the highest end iPad Pro depending on the accessories attached to it.

The points you mentioned are applicable to idea 1, i.e. Merging iPadOS with MacOS. For implementing idea 2, none of the points that you mentioned would be applicable. There is absolutely NO change needed in the iPad Pro (M1, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) hardware to make it capable of running MacOS. 

Again, I am not getting what exactly is getting compromised in this scenario?
    You're completed ignoring marketing, and ignoring the very consumer that the iPad is targeted. These consumer don't want a desktop operating system, and they don't wan a difficult to use UI. 

Assuming that Apple and 3rd parties are working long hours to show additional "pro" iPad applications next week at WWDC, and I believe that they are, what exactly will your dual boot system do other than promote a confused and mixed message of the iPad?  

Not seeing it, and it isn't at all likely to happen, unless it is a new device category, and even then, it will certainly have a new OS variant.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 45
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    OMG, can we stop with this incessant arguing about iPads running macOS?!

What's more interesting is breaking down barriers/differences between the two OSes such that people stop fantasising about macOS running (or dual-booting) on a touch-based tablet.

Imagine instead iPadOS gains features that bring the two closer together such that it's a moot discussion/argument because it truly makes no *functional* sense to bring one to the other's hardware. Next week will be interesting indeed in that it's inevitable we'll see iPadOS gain features/functionality that move it closer and closer to macOS.
    JapheyDetnator
  • Reply 39 of 45
    dabigkahunadabigkahuna Posts: 465member
    @tmay ;

You're completed ignoring marketing, and ignoring the very consumer that the iPad is targeted. These consumer don't want a desktop operating system, and they don't wan a difficult to use UI. 

Uh, I have two iPads and I would love to be able to use one of them to run Mac apps. What disadvantage would there be to people like me? Right now, if I go on a trip, I have a choice of taking an iPad or a laptop. I generally choose the iPad for ease of carrying and often just working while holding it. But there are always times I would also want to do stuff that is easier on a Mac. If the iPad could switch back and forth, I wouldn't need a laptop at all!

I guess if such an iPad came at a higher price, it may need to be a separate model, just as you can buy cellular or not. But I certainly don't see that it would "need" to bee a separate device with it's own OS.

I and some others aren't asking for combining the two OSes, though maybe someday that will happen. We are just saying we'd like to have one device that can switch between two exiting OSes.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    …Only this much is certain -- Apple will reveal new versions of its operating systems. That is the purpose of WWDC and it's the sole thing that is guaranteed to happen every year.

You can be pretty sure that Apple will also unveil, or even discuss, a lot less than rumors predict. It always does. Apple is very smart on choosing its moments and maximizing the impact of any announcement.
    Sort of, IMO. Yes, I’m pretty sure they’ll go over the new OSs on the way, as this is usually where they do it.

However, I think when I read these kinds of articles, they are a bit overly influenced by that one year where Apple unfortunately had nothing better to show than some emojis and a cute lady bopping to some music tracks.

WWDC is about developers. The WWDC keynote, though, is about showing off to the world what Apple wants to show off. If they have the hardware and it is the right time to introduce it, they’ll show it. The OS stuff, IMO, is more filler material that they almost certainly will spend some SOME time on.
    edited June 2021