Apple TV+ drama 'The Mosquito Coast' renewed for second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2021
Apple has renewed "The Mosquito Coast" on Apple TV+ for a second season just before the season one finale.

'The Mosquito Coast' renewed for second season
'The Mosquito Coast' renewed for second season

"The Mosquito Coast" follows an inventor and his family on the run from the US government. The seven-episode first season was created on the 40th anniversary of the book that inspired the series.

"'The Mosquito Coast' has captured the imagination of viewers all over the world, not only because of its adrenaline-fueled action and adventure, but also for the engaging family story and captivating performances at its heart," said Matt Cherniss, Apple's head of programming. "We can't wait to find out what comes next for the Fox family, and for audiences to continue to experience the thrill ride."

AppleInsider reviewed the first season and found the show to be a slog despite its great cast. The ultimate question of the show, why are they on the run, leaves too much unknown for viewers to care about the character's issues.

The announcement comes on the heels of the season one finale premiering on Friday. Apple originally called the show a "limited series," though it is moving to a second season.

"The Mosquito Coast" is available to watch on Apple TV+ with a paid subscription of $4.99 per month. The service is also included with every tier of the Apple One subscription bundle.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say, "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    mprussemprusse Posts: 3member
    Totally unrealistic dialog. No one uses the F-word that much.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 18
    SpitbathSpitbath Posts: 91member
    mprusse said:
    I do.
    tmaywilliamlondonJapheyStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    mprusse said:
    After a strong start, the last three episodes have been terrible. Oh and fuck you.  ;)
    mbenz1962williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 4 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

AppleInsider reviewed the first season and found the show to be a slog despite its great cast. The ultimate question of the show, why are they on the run, leaves too much unknown for viewers to care about the character's issues.
    On the contrary, the ultimate question of the show left too much unknown for the reviewer to care about. Everyone I’ve talked to enjoyed the slow reveal of the mystery interspersed with the fast pace of the action. I’m glad it’s been renewed, I just hope season 2 has more than 7 episodes. 
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 5 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Apple has so little content on its streamer there needs to be less of “more of the same” and more variety of product.  I certainly won’t start paying for it next month. Even with Foundation no doubt coming available.

oh and this one is rubbish.
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 18
    WcitizenWcitizen Posts: 7member
    I truly loved this series. I’m very happy to know that Apple  renew for a second season :)
    lolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    mprusse said:
    Are you fucking kidding me?
    williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Japhey said:

On the contrary, the ultimate question of the show left too much unknown for the reviewer to care about. Everyone I’ve talked to enjoyed the slow reveal of the mystery interspersed with the fast pace of the action. I’m glad it’s been renewed, I just hope season 2 has more than 7 episodes. 
    Agreed. The AI reviewer doesn't seem to be one with tastes that resonate with ours. My SO and I have enjoyed the show, and describing it as a "slog" never crossed our minds. That it's over already is the only real problem.
    lolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 18
    entropys said:
    Apple has so little content on its streamer there needs to be less of “more of the same” and more variety of product.
    So you're saying MC is not different enough from other Apple offerings? Which other shows on the network, specifically, are you referring to that this is just more of the same? It's not a comedy, it's not a fantasy, it's not sci-fi, it's not a spy thriller, it's not a court room drama, it's not a plain drama, it's not a docu series, and it's not a children's show. So how does this not offer added variety of product?
    pairof9williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 18
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    It’s no masterpiece but I’m enjoying it ok. I would have preferred a more interesting plot with multiple threads that come together rather than the simplistic “escape of the week” format but it’s good fun nonetheless. I don’t really care what he did. I think that’s a MacGuffin. But if it is revealed I bet he did nothing and she is actually the one on the run and he is just supporting her. That would be a cool twist (although if it turns out to be true it will be one I saw coming from a mile away… since the first episode). I just suspect that because she seems much more street smart and is good with a gun (like when she was shooting out the tires). It just seems like she’s the real “bad ass” and he’s more of a thinker.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    I couldn't get past the episode the tongue cutting scissors came out I kept thinking there must be something better to watch... I've enjoyed 1971 so far, with so much about the music of which so much still seems timeless...
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 12 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    takeo said:
    It’s no masterpiece but I’m enjoying it ok. I would have preferred a more interesting plot with multiple threads that come together rather than the simplistic “escape of the week” format but it’s good fun nonetheless. I don’t really care what he did. I think that’s a MacGuffin. But if it is revealed I bet he did nothing and she is actually the one on the run and he is just supporting her. That would be a cool twist (although if it turns out to be true it will be one I saw coming from a mile away… since the first episode). I just suspect that because she seems much more street smart and is good with a gun (like when she was shooting out the tires). It just seems like she’s the real “bad ass” and he’s more of a thinker.
    Yeah, that option has been in the back of my mind since the beginning, too. She’s definitely the badass of the group. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    pairof9pairof9 Posts: 74member
    I don't agree with some of the comments about ATV+ being a barren desert of content and at best, a repeater. When I tried Disney+, I inevitably asked myself "How many more times do I plan or need to watch the same Star Wars, Marvel, or any Disney movies?" As awesome and classic as those movies are...I've seen them a zillion times (spoiler alert: the endings are always the same). At least w/ ATV+, I'm seeing original stuff, even if at times it feels like I've seen something like it somewhere else. 
    edited June 2021 Japheylolliverwilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    entropys said:
    Apple has so little content on its streamer there needs to be less of “more of the same” and more variety of product.
    So you're saying MC is not different enough from other Apple offerings? Which other shows on the network, specifically, are you referring to that this is just more of the same? It's not a comedy, it's not a fantasy, it's not sci-fi, it's not a spy thriller, it's not a court room drama, it's not a plain drama, it's not a docu series, and it's not a children's show. So how does this not offer added variety of product?
    No, I am saying they should do something else rather than a second season. And that applies to most of them unless there is a specific story arc (eg for all mankind, the expans on Netflix) but to give an example on another network, the Queens Gambit is a brilliant show running eight episodes. But all these fans want a second series. Why? the story is complete and any extension would cheapen the first series.
    letting shows go on with no plan, especially letting them go too long ends up “jumping the shark”.

I fear for Lasso..
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I’m with AI on this. We’ll watch to the end of Series 1, but no more. It’s like a lot of US series (I’m in the UK) which are clearly very well made but have no or very little story line.  They just trundle on, not making much progress.  This is, of course, only my opinion. Generally, ATV output has been very good indeed, with unusual story lines and other different types of approach. It is also much easier for the other streamers as they have back-catalogue and I imagine the cost of buying in programmes is increasing along with the number of streamers bidding. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 18
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Japhey said:
    takeo said:
    Yeah, that option has been in the back of my mind since the beginning, too. She’s definitely the badass of the group. 
    She all but confirmed it in the last episode. So SHE is the one on the run and she just wants it to be over / turn herself in but he’s too damn stubborn about always trying to “fix” the problem.
    Japhey
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    No relation to the movie from the ‘80s I guess?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    cornchip said:
    No relation to the movie from the ‘80s I guess?
    Nothing so far and I've not read the book to know if either the original movie or this episodic version closely follow. Anyone else read the book who can comment?