Microsoft detailing 'next generation of Windows' on June 24

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    georgi0georgi0 Posts: 6member
    For me windows should downgrade to win 7 
    they had an excellent os which was ruined with the following releases. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I agree with the people suggestion that Windows for ARM will be the big announcement. We could finally see the end of the WIntel alliance. Competition is good.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    flydog said:
    MplsP said:
    I think the only thing readers here would care about is when MS will finally get around to making a functional ARM version of Windows. Given their history I’m betting it will be at least 5 years...
    There's good news and bad news.  The bad news is you lost the bet, the good news is ou can install it today:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64

You took what he said literally. I think he meant one that doesn’t suck, at least that’s how I read it. 
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    I’ve long put the Mac vs Windows competition thing on a cold back burner. They have some overlapping markets and a few competing products, but each one dominates a market segment that the other one follows at a great distance behind. Windows has a massive footprint in business and industry, along with a legacy support tail and open hardware support requirements that would absolutely choke out a bunch of Apple's best forward looking initiatives, especially in the consumer space. 

We as consumers, are extremely fortunate that Apple is dominant in market segments they can best serve while Microsoft dominates where they do best. Apple trying to fill Microsoft's shoes or Microsoft trying to fill Apple’s shoes would be totally disastrous for everyone. 

Apple needs Microsoft to be successful in the market segments Microsoft serves because it frees Apple to do so many other things in other market segments, ones that are near and dear to Apple’s core values and visions. Trust me, Apple would not want to touch a lot of the things that Microsoft continues to serve quite admirably at massive scale. Someone has to do the dirty work, and I’m so glad that Apple does not have to be the one.
    canukstormmuthuk_vanalingammarcotor949watto_cobraDogperson
  • Reply 25 of 31
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    dewme said:
    I’ve long put the Mac vs Windows competition thing on a cold back burner. They have some overlapping markets and a few competing products, but each one dominates a market segment that the other one follows at a great distance behind. Windows has a massive footprint in business and industry, along with a legacy support tail and open hardware support requirements that would absolutely choke out a bunch of Apple's best forward looking initiatives, especially in the consumer space. 

We as consumers, are extremely fortunate that Apple is dominant in market segments they can best serve while Microsoft dominates where they do best. Apple trying to fill Microsoft's shoes or Microsoft trying to fill Apple’s shoes would be totally disastrous for everyone. 

Apple needs Microsoft to be successful in the market segments Microsoft serves because it frees Apple to do so many other things in other market segments, ones that are near and dear to Apple’s core values and visions. Trust me, Apple would not want to touch a lot of the things that Microsoft continues to serve quite admirably at massive scale. Someone has to do the dirty work, and I’m so glad that Apple does not have to be the one.
    Windows has a massive footprint in the entire desktop / laptop segment, business or otherwise.  
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Beats said:
    flydog said:
    MplsP said:
    I think the only thing readers here would care about is when MS will finally get around to making a functional ARM version of Windows. Given their history I’m betting it will be at least 5 years...
    There's good news and bad news.  The bad news is you lost the bet, the good news is ou can install it today:

You took what he said literally. I think he meant one that doesn’t suck, at least that’s how I read it. 
    Exactly. admittedly, I haven’t used windows in years, except at work when I have to. From everything I’ve read, the ARM version is not complete and not fully compatible. The fact that MS calls it a preview tells it all.

When Apple switched from PPC to Intel the had rosetta that ran things perfectly. When they switched from Intel to ASI they had rosetta 2 that runs things perfectly. That is my standard.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 231member
    *yawn*     
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 31
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    MplsP said:
    Beats said:
    flydog said:
    MplsP said:

Exactly. admittedly, I haven’t used windows in years, except at work when I have to. From everything I’ve read, the ARM version is not complete and not fully compatible. The fact that MS calls it a preview tells it all.

When Apple switched from PPC to Intel the had rosetta that ran things perfectly. When they switched from Intel to ASI they had rosetta 2 that runs things perfectly. That is my standard.
    There is a released version of Windows ARM - it ships on a couple of laptops..  The "Preview" is what you can get for "free" and run on a M1 Mac.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Hopefully they get rid of the ribbon. I’ve always hated that.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    sdw2001 said:
    flydog said:
    hydrogen said:
    Microsoft is the perfect illustration of the fact that if you enjoy a monopoly, you do not care about your customers, and can just pretend to innovate, keeping eternally your product basically unchanged.
    Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly in anything, not operating systems, not browsers, and not game consoles.  And when you expand the market to mobile devices, it doesn't even own a majority share in those markets.

But hey, don't let facts stop you from posting nonsense.

Microsoft dominates the desktop and notebook operating system market, as well as the office productivity market (home and business).  Windows has lost market share, but still owns over 75% of the market.  I suspect the point he was making had less to do with the legal definition of monopoly, and more to do with Microsoft being so dominant that it doesn't care about innovating Windows.  

In my experience as both a Mac and Windows user for the last two decades, that's true.  Windows development has a been one long string of ape-ing Apple (poorly) and various disasters, sometimes both at the same time:  

1995:  Windows 95. A blatant rip-off of Mac OS that will go down in history one of the worst OSes ever created.  I would have to create a separate website dedicated to explaining how truly awful it was.  Many people downgraded to Windows 3.1 for years after its release.  

1998: Windows 98.  The "we tried to fix the disaster of Windows 95 and mostly succeeded" release.  

2000:  Windows ME. We named it "Millennium Edition" to make it sound new, even though it was based on the old DOS kernel.  

2000:  Windows 2000.  Yeah, we released Windows 2000 and Millennium Edition in the same year, a few months apart.  But one is based on NT and the other DOS.  In other words, we created a total shitshow for consumers.  

2001:  Windows XP.  "We finally put the nightmare of Windows 95 to bed.  Also, we stole the Mac's UI again and even aped their "X" name.  They have Aqua.  We have Luna!"

2007: Windows Vista.  Somehow worse than XP, which was the first decent version since 3.1.  

2010:  Windows 7.  "Finally, a decent-looking and performing OS that is stable. " Until....

2013:  Windows 8.  "So bad that we decided not to call the next version Windows 9.  We actually ruined an Arabic number for all eternity."  

2015: Windows 10.  "NT went from 6.2 to 10, so we called it 10.  We promise it's pretty good though.  Maybe even as good as 3.1.  Oh, and we stole the whole "app" idea from Apple.  You don't have programs anymore.  Now you have apps.  Sort of....big apps are still called programs.  Or applications.  But apps give you a clunky, resource-consuming way of performing difficult tasks like opening photos or streaming an audio file."  
    I have used Windows since version 2.1 and really have no big issues with it because I know it pretty well from having programmed everything from kernel level device drivers to Windows services to Visual Studio extensibility (VsX)  to UI apps using .NET 4.5. It is what it is and Windows 10 is the best it’s ever been, but it’s still not as pleasant to use as macOS.

So the only thing I’d add to your list is that Windows ME was total shit. No other way to say it. It leaked like a sieve and it crashed like a monkey driving a stick shift car with no brakes. Every other version of Windows had some sort of redeeming quality, or at least it did at the SP1 or SP2 release (e.g., Vista SP2). Windows ME never got better. Never. It sucked at launch and it sucked when they mercifully put a bullet in its head. It’s like Microsoft put all the real developers on Windows 2000, which was a workhorse, and threw Windows ME to the pool of interns trying to build their resumes by spending a summer in Redmond.

Of course I don’t agree that Microsoft was trying to copy Apple at any serious level throughout the Windows evolution. Windows had its own set of challenges and from a developer standpoint it was a wild and exciting ride all along. I would never trade my years of working with wonderful languages, tools, and frameworks that Windows offered, especially C++, C#, COM, .NET, WPF, WCF, Visual Studio, etc., for the somewhat static set of tools available for Apple’s platforms. Yes, new Apple things like Swift are exceptional, but I see Swift evolving exactly like the prior generation of high level languages evolved, whether it’s support for generics or concurrency, Swift is exactly following and building on a path that was blazed by other languages like C++ and C# and millions of developers who earned their living supporting the predominant platform of the past 30 years, which is Windows.  

For me it was never macOS or Windows, it has always been and will always be: macOS and Windows. This is a total win-win for me.
    edited June 2021 Dogperson
  • Reply 31 of 31
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    This leak is not feature complete but it's a decent preview of Windows 11

Dogperson