Blizzard updates 'World of Warcraft' with native support for Apple Silicon

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    I must be missing something because today (June 3, 2021) the battle.net app and the wow installer app both require rosetta and do not run natively in arm.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    I must be missing something because today (June 3, 2021) the battle.net app and the wow installer app both require rosetta and do not run natively in arm.
    As I posted above on Nov 24th, the WoW app refused to run on my M1 Mini until it was updated with the native Apple Silicon version.

Or are you talking about the M1 iMac, which I don't have?
  • Reply 23 of 23
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member

Hopefully Blizzard ports more of its ~10 Mac games to M1 Mac. And it's probably asking too much, but if the games can run on M1, can they be ported to run on A14 (iPad) which also supports mice/keyboards? It's almost the same CPU as M1. I would point out that iOS now supports mice (one of which is required for most Blizzard desktop games.)
    Now that Apple has released an iPad with M1 chip, it should be even easier for Blizzard to port its native M1 Silicon Mac WoW game to M1 Silicon iPad Pro. But they haven't ported it to iPadOS in the last six months, so they probably aren't going to be doing that. I suspect the market for Wow on iPadOS is still too small to justify. And it's not easy, because despite using the same processor, the operating systems (macOS, iPadOS) use different APIs. Perhaps at WWDC2021 Apple may introduce new tools to make porting easier.