What to expect from WWDC 2021 - and what not to

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    For WWDC 2021 I'm hoping Apple decides it's finally time to compete with Google's search engine and FaceBook's social network. Apple's advantage over those companies will be that Apple doesn't collect personal information. WWDC seems like a good time to announce new services like these. Apple could choose to require a subscription, eg, Apple One, to be able to access these services. Or Apple could require a subscription only for creating content, not accessing content, on these services.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 42 of 45
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    dotcomcto said:
    dotcomcto said:
    I really want to hear Apple announce that M1 apps from the Mac App Store will be able to run directly on the M1 iPad Pro.
    Even if that happened, which is unlikely, it would still require recompiling. Because apps for different OS's (macOS and iPadOS) use different APIs/kits. The alternative is for Apple to make both OSs support the same APIs, and Apple has had full screen slides saying: NO.

Are you asking for macOS and iPadOS to merge? If not, then recompiling is required.
    For a short while, there was the ability to sideload iOS apps on M1 Macs - which Apple subsequently shut down. That said, Apple does have Project Catalyst: https://developer.apple.com/mac-catalyst/

I do not see a reason why Apple wouldn't ultimately want that to work in both directions. It would be a win-win for Apple, as well as developers. 
    I would love it if you were right, but here was Apple's slide on the question of merging iOS with macOS. I know they were talking about iOS, not iPadOS, but I think the answer would be the same for both OSs. Remember, the OSs (macOS and iPadOS) are not binary compatible because apps for each one are compiled with different APIs. So unless Apple wants to port the APIs themselves, developers would have a lot of work to recode and recompile.

As you indicated, Catalyst is the opposite of what you are asking for. And it's optional, not mandatory. It sounds to me like you are asking for complete compatibility, not just voluntary compatibility by recompiling with new libraries.

The problem with that Giant “Are you merging iOS and MacOS” - “No.” Is that is doesn’t answer “Are you merging iPadOS and MacOs”

By forking iPadOS off of iOS they can always say they didn’t merge them.

They are not going to answer they question of what goes on with the two operating system till ready to unveil that.   But Mac computers and iPads will continue to be separate Hardware lines even if common software libraries in the future grow.

Computers will have touchId but won’t get FaceId anytime soon.  FaceId is for iPhone and iPadPro.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 43 of 45
    No new hardware, what else is new? What good does new software do, if don’t have a computer that can run it, plus other software one needs? WWDC 2021 is a non event for me now. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 45
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    No new hardware, what else is new? What good does new software do, if don’t have a computer that can run it, plus other software one needs? WWDC 2021 is a non event for me now. 
    Hyperbole much? Such petulant melodrama!

And for your first fucking post, welcome to AI, Felicia.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    For WWDC 2021 I'm hoping Apple decides it's finally time to compete with Google's search engine and FaceBook's social network. Apple's advantage over those companies will be that Apple doesn't collect personal information. WWDC seems like a good time to announce new services like these. Apple could choose to require a subscription, eg, Apple One, to be able to access these services. Or Apple could require a subscription only for creating content, not accessing content, on these services.
    Sounds good, and I'd pay for that. But, I don't think Apple has it in them. They can't even seem to do basic search well (let alone Google-level), and remember any of Apple's attempts at social? I guess there is always a first time, but they have a really, really bad track record.

k2kw said:
    By forking iPadOS off of iOS they can always say they didn’t merge them.
    Even if they did, they could just go ahead and do it anyway. Wouldn't be the first time.

The thing is, I think there will always be differentiation, if nothing more than 'modes' the software goes into. They could certainly put MacOS on an iPad and iPadOS on a touch-screen MacBook, but both would suck if they didn't go into a proper mode that fit the 'ergonomics' of the device and use-case. A touch-based system is just plain different from a keyboard/input-device system. As far as I'm concerned, it always will be.

I'm bummed, but they'll probably just release them as they come out. IMO, that is a waste of prime exposure the Keynote provides, but at this point, maybe Apple doesn't need that exposure anymore? And, I think now hardware at WWDC is kind of new (well, i think it happened once or twice before, but it's more rare than the hardware release events).
    muthuk_vanalingam