No hardware debuts during WWDC 2021 keynote, says leaker

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2021
Apple may not use its WWDC 2021 keynote to make any hardware announcements, with a prominent leaker hinting that there won't be any physical product launches.

While WWDC is known to be a software-centric event, concerned primarily with Apple's operating systems and software changes, rumors always circulate about new hardware being revealed during the event. In the opinion of one well-known leaker, it seems that WWDC 2021 will be a software-only year.

Responding to a query on Twitter on whether there will be any hardware products shown at WWDC 2021 on Monday, leaker "@L0vetodream" responded in Chinese with the translated phrase "I feel no."

While the Twitter account has amassed a following for high-accuracy leaks for Apple products, there is always a chance that the account is incorrect and Apple does show hardware. In a later tweet, they said "I was just talking about playing, I'm not reliable at all," which immediately casts doubt on the initial "I feel no" tweet.

Apple has used the WWDC event to highlight hardware, but certainly not every event. On three occasions, for the "coke can" Mac Pro, the iMac Pro, and the 2019 Mac Pro, Apple teased the hardware, and shipped a profoundly limited quantity of the devices before the end of the year.

Rumors claimed that Apple could launch a 16-inch MacBook Pro refresh during the event, as well as the possibility of pushing forward with its Apple Silicon transition with a new chip. However, this is also during a time when the world is dealing with a chip shortage, which could cause problems for the production of new hardware.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    I can not believe that Apple has a chip shortage.   Cook usually has his supply chain lined up with the needed capacity.   It’s not like they have run out of A12 chips to put in iPhones.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    On the other hand this could indicate demand for new iMacs through the roof and all M1 capacity dedicated to them.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    This is so depressing. I am eagerly waiting for the new Macbook pros. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    dk49 said:
    Don't get depressed.  Some random nobody on twitter said "I feel no" and later said he was "not reliable at all."

Anyone can guess.  We'll find out in 3-4 hours.
    muthuk_vanalingamdk49watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    If Apple releases or at least describes new hardware, it means Tim has finally closed the majority of leaks OR is honing in on the major leakers with false information of no new products. Apple used to be able to keep things secret but with all the potential money coming from leaked information (stock market changes), it's been more difficult to keep suppliers from opening their d*** mouths. I would like to see Tim prove these morning rumors wrong with some fantastic product information. Either way, I'm sure Apple product management security is going to be watching all information before, during and after the keynote to see who says what so they can go after the leakers. Leakers are committing illegal activities and need to be dealt with.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    [Sigh] it’s the same every year. The web builds anticipation of hardware at WWDC, and then people are disappointed when there isn’t. This is a conference for developers, it is software centric. Occasionally, OCCASIONALLY Apple will release hardware to coincide with WWDC, but it is the exception rather than the rule. So am I looking for updated hardware? No. Am I surprised or disappointed that it looks like there won’t be? No. I mean who knows, something might drop, Apple has been unusually good at stopping leaks this year. But I’m not holding my breath for any. I’m not expecting any. That’s not what WWDC is about. Indeed hardware announcements at WWDC would distract from the focus of the conference, new software. 
    lkruppdewmeAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    DAalseth said:
    [Sigh] it’s the same every year. The web builds anticipation of hardware at WWDC, and then people are disappointed when there isn’t. This is a conference for developers, it is software centric. Occasionally, OCCASIONALLY Apple will release hardware to coincide with WWDC, but it is the exception rather than the rule. So am I looking for updated hardware? No. Am I surprised or disappointed that it looks like there won’t be? No. I mean who knows, something might drop, Apple has been unusually good at stopping leaks this year. But I’m not holding my breath for any. I’m not expecting any. That’s not what WWDC is about. Indeed hardware announcements at WWDC would distract from the focus of the conference, new software. 
    I generally agree with you, but there has certainly been past precedent for hardware at WWDC.  Normally, it is a software only event.  However, the move to Apple Silicon was a major part of last year's theme.  The M1 chip has been great, but people are looking for more momentum for the next level part such as the M1X.  The rumors seem to indicate that this chip is in production now and they also suggest product with these parts should be able to ship in July.  I guess there is no reason Apple couldn't hold another event next month... especially since these are virtual events.  However, I think no Apple Silicon advances at this event would cast a negative shadow on the event overall.  
    muthuk_vanalingamentropysrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    If I may, the first tweet is pretty clear in Chinese that this was just a “gut feeling” and it wasn’t based on any inside information.

The second tweet clarifies that: “In other words, originally it was me having some fun, it wasn’t meant to be seen as the least bit reliable, it was just a joke.”

[我本来就是说着玩的  我一点也不靠谱   当个玩笑看就好啦]
    edited June 2021 randominternetpersonfastasleepAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    The online store is still up. I think they usually take the online store down if there's anything new announced.
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    dk49 said:
    It's been a while since the last 16" MBP update, over 1.5 years.

What they did last year was describe the M1 chip at WWDC and shipped the Air in November. They could do the same thing, describing the higher power chips at WWDC and ship the machines later. It would be disappointing to have to wait until October/November but maybe it works better that way for their supply chain.

They will be using TSMC's 5nm+ process for the hardware updates this year, including the iOS devices so it depends on how that process goes when the chips are available. Every chip architecture will have a production cycle - design, test samples, ramp up production etc. Only Apple, TSMC and other suppliers will know the timeline they have planned.

It would be great to see a Macbook Pro launch but I'd be happy to hear about M1X and know what's coming and what its capabilities are.
    dk49watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Marvin said:
    dk49 said:
    It's been a while since the last 16" MBP update, over 1.5 years.

What they did last year was describe the M1 chip at WWDC and shipped the Air in November. They could do the same thing, describing the higher power chips at WWDC and ship the machines later. It would be disappointing to have to wait until October/November but maybe it works better that way for their supply chain.

They will be using TSMC's 5nm+ process for the hardware updates this year, including the iOS devices so it depends on how that process goes when the chips are available. Every chip architecture will have a production cycle - design, test samples, ramp up production etc. Only Apple, TSMC and other suppliers will know the timeline they have planned.

It would be great to see a Macbook Pro launch but I'd be happy to hear about M1X and know what's coming and what its capabilities are.
    I think it won't make sense for them to announce a new processor without any supporting hardware (macs). But let's see..
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    DAalseth said:

Yup.

I recall one (Microsoft) PDC where they announced during the keynote everyone in attendance would be getting a free computer after the keynote. About a quarter of the attendees got up and left the venue to get in line. It was kind of sad to watch. But then again I've seen grown men (physically grown at least) just about get into a slapfest fighting over swag when a tradeshow vendor dumped a box of swag in the middle of an aisle, like they were feeding hogs in a pen. Sigh...

I'd love to see new hardware announcements today, but Apple can do dedicated product announcement "events" anytime they care to. Putting the WWDC together is a really major effort and expense for Apple and its development partners. They should try to get as much mileage for its intended purpose as possible.

But ... I'm still hoping for a surprise.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    dk49 said:
    Don't get depressed.  Some random nobody on twitter said "I feel no" and later said he was "not reliable at all."

Anyone can guess.  We'll find out in 3-4 hours.
    AI should do its due diligence before posting such article. Only leaks from reliable sources should be posted. Otherwise they should have included something like "questionable source" in their title like they generally do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    DAalseth said:
     Occasionally, OCCASIONALLY Apple will release hardware to coincide with WWDC, but it is the exception rather than the rule. 
    One hell of an exception list https://sixcolors.com/member/2021/06/is-wwdc-a-hardware-event/

Higher end MacBook Pro's are developer fodder.  I would be more surprised if they didn't at least hint at them today.  I really want to order one!
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    AI_lias said:
    The online store is still up. I think they usually take the online store down if there's anything new announced.
    That's how it used to work - they didn't take it down for the new iPad Pro's though.  Yeah, there were issues but there is at least some precedent now for them changing.

At least that's what I'm hoping.  I really want an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro that can take at least 32 GB of RAM and I'm still hoping it at least gets announced today :open_mouth: 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Marvin said:
    They will be using TSMC's 5nm+ process for the hardware updates this year, including the iOS devices so it depends on how that process goes when the chips are available. 
    A lot of companies facing chip shortages now cut their orders with the pandemic last year.  I guarantee you Apple didn't cut any orders  :p
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    Very disappointed since I was going to pull the trigger on a MacBook Pro 14” with M2, mini LED, 32GB RAM and 512 GB! 
    docno42
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Very disappointed since I was going to pull the trigger on a MacBook Pro 14” with M2, mini LED, 32GB RAM and 512 GB! 
    Craig just started to talk about macOS - the keynote isn't over yet.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Well shoot - looks like it was no rumor  :'(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    The chip shortage is very real.  No new hardware.  Apple is probably still much better off than other OEM's but I'm sure there are still things out of their control with everything going on.  Apple's not going to announce a major product like a MacBook Pro unless the availability is realistic for customers - go to some other hardware vendors and many products aren't shipping until September if you want anything other than one or two specific SKU's on many products.
    watto_cobra