Privacy-focused iCloud+ includes Private Relay browsing, Hide My Email, secure HomeKit cam...

Posted:
in iCloud edited June 2021
Paid iCloud subscriptions will soon have access to an enhanced iCloud+ feature, including a Private Relay VPN, a new Hide My Email capability, and support for unlimited secure HomeKit video cameras.

Apple said iCloud paid subscriptions will include iCloud+ when it launches later this year, and at no extra cost, with the same iCloud pricing today.

The new Private Relay feature essentially acts as a VPN, allowing users to browse with Safari more securely and privately. Apple noted that network providers and websites combine users' identities and browsing history to develop a profile, which Private Relay will help prevent.

Using Private Relay, traffic leaving a user's device is encrypted and sent through two internet relays. With this, no one -- including Apple -- will see who a user is or what websites they are visiting.

The new Hide My Email feature will be built into Mail, Safari, and iCloud settings, allowing users to set up as many temporary email addresses as they need and delete them at any time.

iCloud+ will also offer built-in support for HomeKit secure video cameras, allowing users to connect unlimited cameras. And any recordings saved to iCloud+ will not count against a user's iCloud storage.

Apple's iCloud service will also continue to offer photos, backup, and iCloud Drive, just as it does today for the same price. The iCloud+ add-on will be for paid subscribers at the same price.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Hide my email will be a useful feature I don't currently have. 
    docno42Alex_Vjony0
  • Reply 2 of 20
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Heh - Apple just Sherlocked VPN providers - many of which are pretty sketchy in and of themselves  :p
    jas99Alex_Vwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    need to learn more details about this. would this feature be available in China? And is it limited to only safari?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    docno42 said:
    Heh - Apple just Sherlocked VPN providers - many of which are pretty sketchy in and of themselves  :p
    True. I’ve been happy with NORD, but if I could get it as part of my iCloud subscription it’ll save me a few bucks. Plus like you said, I’d trust Apple over most any third party company with my data.
    williamlondonjas99patchythepiratewatto_cobrabaconstangjony0
  • Reply 5 of 20
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 122member
    First time in years that I am finally excited about the new things Apple is bringing. More tech leadership & cross platform apps too, which is great. 
    williamlondonpatchythepiratewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 20
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    Yes and no. One common VPN feature a lot go people use is routing though other countries, and Private Relay doesn't do that.

That said, it's doing most of what people use VPN's for... and in typical no-fuss, no-muss Apple fashion.

I've never really trusted most VPN services anyway. There are a ton of options... and how do you know that they're doing what they say that they're doing anyway? How do you know that THEY aren't mining your data? 

Heck, how do you know that XYZ-VPN isn't a NSA front???
    StrangeDaysjas99Alex_Vwilliamlondondocno42hcrefugeepatchythepiratewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 20
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    docno42 said:
    The sketchiness of "VPN" providers is seriously underreported. In a lot of cases, you're avoiding snooping from your local telco in exchange for snooping from Moldovan telcos. The provider also has the ability to mess with your traffic, such as by inserting ads.

I'm really looking forward to a technical analysis of how this works. If I understand it correctly from the non-technical description in the keynote, the FBI and NSA will be seriously upset, unlike their mostly-performative objections to device-level encryption.
    Alex_Vwilliamlondonhcrefugeepatchythepiratewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Is Private RelayiPhone only? No other device shown in the segment demoing it. No mention of it available on the holy quinternity of OS’s. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    One of the biggest announcements of the day.  As people here have said, I never really trusted VPN services for privacy.  I mainly just used them to get access to TV and sports not available in my region.  Looking forward to this!
    williamlondonhcrefugeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    hmlongco said:
    That's a valid point, but I'm more worried about some of them being CCP or CCCP fronts. Remember who has nukes pointed at you.
    docno42patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 212member
    hmlongco said:
    That's a valid point, but I'm more worried about some of them being CCP or CCCP fronts. Remember who has nukes pointed at you.

Remember who collects taxes from you, and has people in congress representing you? That’s where you have a say. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Alex_V said:
    hmlongco said:
    Remember who collects taxes from you, and has people in congress representing you? That’s where you have a say. 
    I'm one of the 50% of readers who are not from America. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Does it still reveal country you reside in?
    How is subscription services geosyncing still enabled?

also the temporary iCloud extension when upgrading your device is a nice feature, but why not just generally increase storage across the board too, especially for those that pay? Seems a bit Scrooge like, negating the good press about the temporary storage increase.

anyway, 5GB in the free tier seems a bit too small these days.
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 20
    mubaili said:
    need to learn more details about this. would this feature be available in China? And is it limited to only safari?
    Apple says it will not be available in China, nor will it be offered in several others including Colombia, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkmenistan, Uganda, and the Philippines.
    jony0
  • Reply 15 of 20
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    Alex_V said:
    hmlongco said:
    I'm one of the 50% of readers who are not from America. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.
    Maybe subtly implying those things are related. 
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    entropys said:
    Does it still reveal country you reside in?
    How is subscription services geosyncing still enabled?

also the temporary iCloud extension when upgrading your device is a nice feature, but why not just generally increase storage across the board too, especially for those that pay? Seems a bit Scrooge like, negating the good press about the temporary storage increase.

anyway, 5GB in the free tier seems a bit too small these days.
    You can always get free google photos right? /s
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    docno42 said:
    Maybe, maybe not.

First, researching VPN providers' reliability and security is important.  Yes, that evaluation can be hard.  It's your security though, so attend to that as your needs dictate.

Second, most of the other VPN products on the market allow changing one's region, which the Apple product apparently does not.  The others are also cross platform, allowing use across all of a user's devices, regardless of whether they are Apple, Android, Windows, or *nix.  I'm reasonably certain Apple won't be doing that at any point in the near future.

So there's still a market for other VPN products.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 533member
    hmlongco said:
    Related: https://gizmodo.com/encrypted-messaging-app-run-by-the-fbi-leads-to-arrest-1847051248
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    hmlongco said:
    hmlongco said:
    Related: https://gizmodo.com/encrypted-messaging-app-run-by-the-fbi-leads-to-arrest-1847051248
    Huh, the FBI was doing a targeted criminal investigation. No doubt the Chinese restrict, control, and monitor for the same reason.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    michael_d said:
    Is Private RelayiPhone only? No other device shown in the segment demoing it. No mention of it available on the holy quinternity of OS’s. 
    It is iCloud+ subscription only (buying more iCloud storage), not device dependent.  I fully expect macOS, iOS & iPadOS to fully support it.
    watto_cobra