Apple unveils macOS Monterey at WWDC 2021

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2021
The next edition of the Mac operating system is to be called macOS Monterey.

Apple has unveiled the next release of macOS
Apple has unveiled the next release of macOS

Apple has introduced the successor to macOS Big Sur in its annual WWDC keynote event. Due in beta form for developers shortly, it will become the pre-installed version of macOS later in the year.

The most striking features that come with macOS Monterey include Universal Control. Using the keyboard and mouse or trackpad on a Mac, users can control iPads or other Macs nearby.

With one keyboard and mouse, users can switch between controlling any of the devices. But it can also allow movement between them all, with drag and drop working across every device.

Shortcuts for Mac

The new macOS Monterey also brings Shortcuts from iOS to Mac. The automation tool is a more straightforward system than the longstanding Automator or AppleScript, both of which continue to be supported.

"This year we're bringing shortcuts to the Mac," announced Craig Federigh. "The Mac is after all, where we turn for so much of our creative work. And now you have automate the everyday stuff to achieve peak productivity."

"With the shortcuts editor, you can easily link together a series of actions to design shortcuts for your specific workflows," he continued. "We'll weave Shortcuts throughout Mac OS, so you can run them no matter what app is open."

Craig Federighi demonstrating dragging a file from an iPad, through a MacBook Pro, and onto an iMac
Craig Federighi demonstrating dragging a file from an iPad, through a MacBook Pro, and onto an iMac

Safari

Safari on macOS Monterey incorporates privacy and performance features, most notably in its new system for displaying and using tabs.

"We built Safari from the very beginning to provide the best browsing experience on Mac, and it continues to blow the competition out of the water," said Federighi. "Our users are doing more in the browser, than ever before, work, school, shopping, entertainment, and that often leaves them with a lot of tabs, Windows and other distractions."

"We think using the browser should feel natural, and uncluttered," he continued. "So we've reimagined the browsing experience we distilled the toolbar to its essential elements. Tabs are more compact, modern, and lightweight, and there's a completely new way to use tabs with tab groups allow you to easily save and manage your tabs, without cluttering up your tab bar."

Privacy and iOS compatibility

Its other major updates also concentrate on adding new features toMessages, as well as improving support for Apple Silicon Macs. It's also bringing the Mac up to date with features that are key to the new iOS 15.

That includes SharePlay. While on a FaceTime call with friends and colleagues, users can share movies, music, and more.

As it enables sharing this information with who users want to work with, Apple has also added to the existing privacy of macOS. Just as it will with iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, Apple Mail will block the ability for emailers to detect when users read their email.

Focus, Translation, and Privacy

Also brought across from the new iOS 15 is Focus. Users can set Focus mode across their devices, which filters out unrelated notifications -- and can respond to other users automatically.

By default, Apple includes various specific Focus modes, such as Work, but users can add and customize their own.

Apple's snapshot of new features in macOS Monterey
Apple's snapshot of new features in macOS Monterey

Apple's translation app has been expanded upon, and its features will now be available system-wide. "Translate text anywhere, even in many third-party apps," says Apple in a statement. "Just highlight text, rightclick, and select Translate to immediately see the translation."

Also, users who currently pay for iCloud services will automatically be upgraded to iCloud+, which adds new privacy features to the Mac, including a VPN.

Hardware updates

Certain macOS Monterey features are directly related to hardware. A new Low Power Mode "manages energy-intensive apps and processing," meaning battery life is extended.

Continuing the increasing use of spatial audio across the Apple eco-system, macOS Monterey will support it to bring theater-like sound to AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max.

Availability and compatibility

The first developer beta of macOS Monterey is being made available immediately. Public betas will begin in July, and the shipping version will be released in the Fall.

The new macOS Monterey will run on the following models of Mac:

• iMac: late 2015 or later

• iMac Pro

• MacBook Air: early 2015 and later

• MacBook Pro: early 2015 and later

• Mac Pro: late 2013

• Mac mini: late 2014 and later

• MacBook: early 2016 and later

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Staying with the coastal vibe , just moving a bit up California 1. Excellent. 
    williamlondondewmelkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    For Safari updates I hope they improve the ability to find tabs generating audio across multiple windows - it's a nightmare today.  
    Better still - stop randomly playing videos - especially when opening Safari and restoring windows from your previous browsing session.

Not sure I'm crazy about the new tab interface re: the blending of UI elements.  It's already way harder than it should be to grab a window to move it around.   The improvements on iOS do look pretty significant and cool.  
    mpw_amherstwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 240member
    I hope it looks better than Big Sur. Sorry Sur, I really did not like the overall look and feel.
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 37
    apple1991apple1991 Posts: 35member
    MacOS Monterey looks wildly good
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    docno42 said:
    For Safari updates I hope they improve the ability to find tabs generating audio across multiple windows - it's a nightmare today.  
    Better still - stop randomly playing videos - especially when opening Safari and restoring windows from your previous browsing session.

Not sure I'm crazy about the new tab interface re: the blending of UI elements.  It's already way harder than it should be to grab a window to move it around.   The improvements on iOS do look pretty significant and cool.  
    Doesn't Safari put a little speaker at the side of tabs playing video/music? 
    MacProwelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    MplsP said:
    docno42 said:

Doesn't Safari put a little speaker at the side of tabs playing video/music? 
    It does.

For me there wasn't much here. Automation maybe, I'lll have to see how that pans out. 

The iPad/MacOS emphasis seems odd to me.

You would think that Apple users, including myself, have 2 out of 3, of the main devices. A Mac and an iPhone, or an iPad and an iPhone, if you don't need a Mac. I have had all three before but it was fairly pointless. My MacBook 13" is portable enough to take anywhere I need. For mobile, rather than portable, devices there is a large screen iPhone.

Yet Apple is spending a lot of energy promoting the iPad as a content creator, rather than a content consumer, Maybe they know their market. 

I don't have an iPad so when I download Monterrey Ill see the safari tab, and might use some of the shortcuts. That will be it for me. 
    edited June 2021 baconstang
  • Reply 7 of 37
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    Universal Control

—I hope  remembered to make this bidirectional >>> iPad & Magic Keyboard controlling the Mac 🤭

And why not extend that to operating a headless Mac mini using your iPad & Magic Keyboard with iPad as the only monitor?
    williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 8 of 37
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    Nice incremental update. Seeing as how all platforms are now deeply intertwined, I don't think they can ever deviate from yearly updates.

Curious how the Safari UI will function with a lot fo tabs, looks much more cramped now with everything on the same level. Guess they don't use a lot of tabs themselves.

Maps turned into something beautiful, probably at least in the USA.
    edited June 2021 asdasdwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 615member
    Once again we confirm that Apple is the only person who cares about the privacy of its customers. Only a fool would use Windows or Android. 
    williamlondonzeus423jas99chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    rundhvid said:
    Universal Control

—I hope  remembered to make this bidirectional >>> iPad & Magic Keyboard controlling the Mac 🤭

And why not extend that to operating a headless Mac mini using your iPad & Magic Keyboard with iPad as the only monitor?
    That wasn't shown now I think about it.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    The new features in Notes (and Quick Notes) look good too, especially interested in the tags they've (finally) implemented.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 37
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    MacPro said:
    rundhvid said:
    Universal Control

That wasn't shown now I think about it.
    Exactly. But as an optimist I choose to interpret the omission as something other than indicating my suggestion is a no go 😎
    —obviously I am in for a nasty disappointment when the OS’s are released 😳
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    rundhvid said:
    Universal Control

I feel similar to you, but I can't figure out how you would move the mouse on a Mac using your finger on an iPad. That's because a mouse is a relative-change device which doesn't actually know where the pointer is, while an iPad is an absolute-change device where the pointer is where your finger is. Also, a finger can't "click and hold" which the mouse can do. I think a finger doesn't have the flexibility of a mouse which is (probably) why Apple can't support it the way you (and I) want.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    rundhvid said:
    Universal Control

I feel similar to you, but I can't figure out how you would move the mouse on a Mac using your finger on an iPad. That's because a mouse is a relative-change device which doesn't actually know where the pointer is, while an iPad is an absolute-change device where the pointer is where your finger is. Also, a finger can't "click and hold" which the mouse can do. I think a finger doesn't have the flexibility of a mouse which is (probably) why Apple can't support it the way you (and I) want.
    My first thought was headless but that requires something totally different, not the pointer moving but the entire video stream, in the opposite direction.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37
    My M1 Mac is now starting up in Monterey... exciting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I hope the tab system in Monterey's Safari is something that can be turned off in favor of proper tabs.

The thinking behind this reflects the processes of a mobile OS - not a desktop.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    davgreg said:
    I hope the tab system in Monterey's Safari is something that can be turned off in favor of proper tabs.

The thinking behind this reflects the processes of a mobile OS - not a desktop.
    I think I will be using the group tabs more, and hide that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I'm happy to know that my late 2015 iMac qualifies for another year of MacOS upgrades.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The old MBA can still get it! Yay!

mind you, I haven’t upgraded to Big Sur on it yet.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 37
    BombdoeBombdoe Posts: 56member
    and it's free

welshdogwatto_cobra