Find My can find powered-off or wiped iPhones in iOS 15

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2021
In iOS 15, users will be able to find a lost or missing iPhone in Find My -- even if it's powered off or factory reset.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Along with a new separation alert feature, Find My in iOS 15 is getting an upgrade with a tracking mechanism that allows users to trace an iPhone when it's powered off. The alert pops up when an iPhone is running low on power after updating to iOS 15.

"Locate your devices using the Find My network even after they have been turned off. This can help you locate a missing device that was low on battery power or that may have been turned off by a thief," Apple says.

Apple notes that users can change the functionality in the Find My pane of the Settings app.

Additionally, in iOS 15, Apple says that Find My tracking will work even when an iPhone is reset to factory settings if Activation Lock is enabled.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Now this looks very good!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    …but how? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    …but how? 
    I’m guessing using UWB and the same tech used by AirTags so other Apple devices pings and reports it to the network. This why when it’s shut off it goes into super low power mode and only powers the Bluetooth low power. 
    edited June 2021 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 325member
    I do a factory reset before I sell the phone. How can I still track the device, or even want to track it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    genovelle said:
    …but how? 
    I’m guessing using UWB and the same tech used by AirTags so other Apple devices pings and reports it to the network. This why when it’s shut off it goes into super low power mode and only powers the Bluetooth low power. 
    No doubt. Next time I am hunted by the fascist imperial State Thought Police, turning of the phone won’t be enough, I will have to throw it in a passing truck bed unless I have a pencil. 

/too many movies.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    entropys said:
    genovelle said:
    …but how? 
    No doubt. Next time I am hunted by the fascist imperial State Thought Police, turning of the phone won’t be enough, I will have to throw it in a passing truck bed unless I have a pencil. 

/too many movies.
    ...and do all roads lead to iCloud, with Apple keeping a key...?
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 7 of 12
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    I do a factory reset before I sell the phone. How can I still track the device, or even want to track it?
    You turn off activation lock and then wipe
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    entropys said:
    genovelle said:
    …but how? 

/too many movies.
    You can also not enable it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    entropys said:
    genovelle said:
    …but how? 

/too many movies.
    ...and do all roads lead to iCloud, with Apple keeping a key...?
    Does not matter in china, even if apple keeps the key they have access to the hardware, which essentially gives them access to crack it.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    That's a good point, how would a buyer know if the iPhone they're buying is not being tracked. It might be wiped but a malicious seller can be tracking you?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    That's a good point, how would a buyer know if the iPhone they're buying is not being tracked. It might be wiped but a malicious seller can be tracking you?
    It puts a message on the lock screen:
    To help ensure that nobody is tricked into purchasing your device, the Hello screen will clearly show that your device is locked, locatable, and still yours.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member

This has long been one of Apple's anti-theft tactics.  Wiping a phone doesn't disassociate it from your account.  Only you can do that, and until you do, the new owner cannot use the phone.  It would be pretty obvious to the new owner that you still had it attached to your account.
    watto_cobra