Spatial Audio lands on Apple Music after WWDC launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 190member
    Here's Apple's "Made For Spatial Audio" playlist:

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/made-for-spatial-audio/pl.154af9931b214278a64274c410046e69

In Music Settings, set Dolby Atmos to:
    - Automatic if you have compatible AirPods or beats headphones
    - Always  On if you have a different type of headphones.

And enjoy !
    saarekwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    jeromec said:
    Here's Apple's "Made For Spatial Audio" playlist:

https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/made-for-spatial-audio/pl.154af9931b214278a64274c410046e69

In Music Settings, set Dolby Atmos to:
    - Automatic if you have compatible AirPods or beats headphones
    - Always  On if you have a different type of headphones.

And enjoy !
    The setting just showed up, wasn’t available last night in the settings. Thanks for the listing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    jhalmos said:
    Try this. St. Pepper and, in a move that brings me great joy and a smile to my face, almost the entire Kraftwerk catalog via "The Catalogue":

Thanks for this. Kraftwerk's 3D Catalogue - the live box set, had one CD with some kind of virtual surround sound. I'm excited to give the studio albums a go now!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    aa4aa4 Posts: 8member
    It was enabled early morning for us in Europe but it's nothing special... It doesn't feature dynamic head tracking like videos. Apparently that is coming with iOS 15.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    aa4 said:
    It was enabled early morning for us in Europe but it's nothing special... It doesn't feature dynamic head tracking like videos. Apparently that is coming with iOS 15.
    Remarkable anyone could listen to that and characterize it as “nothing special.”  I suppose some said the same thing when stereo replaced mono. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    CGCG Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    It would really be nice if there was a more accessible switch for spacial headphone mix when not in automatic mode - kind of a headphone button.  I think this is where the confusion over which headphones are supported came from. If you are using Apple wireless headphones and some Beats, the app knows you are wearing headphones and generates a spacial mix. But if you are playing to another source be it wired, bluetooth or Airplay, the App has no idea if it should being generating a stereo mix for headphones or speakers. Not so much fun to go into settings and change to Always only to have to go back and turn it to Auto or Off when listening to stereo speakers.

Their demos where "all you need are some headphones" are kind of silly. If it is coming through headphones, it is a STEREO mix - two speakers one right, one left.  If it were only for headphones artists could  have been making spacial audio mixes pretty much since stereo headphones were invented.  There are some attempts at this that are pretty amazing (search Kraftwerk Headphone). What the demos seem to not demonstrate or explain is that Dolby Atmos provides a way to make spacial audio work for multiple speaker surround systems and spacial headphone mixes.

Nitpicking aside, pretty awesome new features!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Conducted an experiment this morning. I already have Tidal Atmos music in my living room playing through my Apple TV 4K with Denon X3600H receiver into a 5.1.4 KEF speakers. Since my speakers are in-wall the stereo sound was always somewhat flat. The Beatles 'While my Guitar gently Weeps' is available on both Apple Music and Tidal in Atmos. I did a side by side listening test. No contest the Apple mix is so much more super. Clearly not the same mix that Tidal has used. Also the music has come alive. BTW, I have been constantly disappointed with the quality of the Atmos tracks on Tidal. Their MQA content is top notch but not their Atmos.

Earlier Apple released Atmos and Dolby 5.1 for my dual AirPods connected to my TV in the bedroom. This was a massive upgrade to the viewing and listening experience. Best of all it was free. I had the HomePods for two years and now I am finally getting extreme value from them. Similarly, this upgrade to Apple Music has made listening to music through my home theatre in my living room a much more positive experience.

Next step is to figure out the Hi-Res Lossless thing for my office/listening room.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra