Apple unveils macOS Monterey at WWDC 2021

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    No Mac OS Cupertino?

Still waiting for Mac OS Weed that Craig teased a few years ago...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    I hope Safari will support an option to render tabs the way they are now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 37
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Yep, it's called Luddite Mode, a quick click of the button and you'll be taken back in time, click it enough times and your device becomes an abacus.
    edited June 2021 lkruppwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 37
    charlieFcharlieF Posts: 9member
    "Certain macOS Monterey features are directly related to hardware."

Anyone else a little pi**ed that there wasn't even a hint of hardware to take full advantage of this amazing new OS? 

You'd be forgiven if you believed there are no indications of pro-level machines coming anytime soon based on that keynote, despite all the bluster and rumours coming from the tech press (Bloomberg, Kuo, et al). I can't be the only professional user who's been waiting for more than 2 years for a laptop - or desktop - that can offer at least 4 TB of storage and a decent amount of RAM. Is Apple not bothered about professional users - again?!

Damn. I'm sure all the bells and whistles of the new OS are great and all, but really? Nothing? not even a dropped hint? After 2 years?
    williamlondonasdasd
  • Reply 25 of 37
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    tyler82 said:
    No Mac OS Cupertino?

Still waiting for Mac OS Weed that Craig teased a few years ago...

These names are ugly as f*** starting with Mavericks. Most people don’t know or care about these locations.

Why can’t Apple use something meaningful outside California? What about elements like “macOS Mercury”, “macOS Oxygen”. Precious metals “macOS Silver” “macOS Sapphire”, “macOS Diamond”.
    My favorite would be major cities to keep the world inclusive not just hikers in Northern California. “macOS New York”, “mac OS London”, macOS Sao Paolo”. 
  • Reply 26 of 37
    As usual, tvOS is abandoned. I don’t even remember a tvOS section.
    williamlondonasdasd
  • Reply 27 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    docno42 said:
    For Safari updates I hope they improve the ability to find tabs generating audio across multiple windows - it's a nightmare today.  
    Better still - stop randomly playing videos - especially when opening Safari and restoring windows from your previous browsing session.
    Good news -- you don't have to wait! Those features you mentioned have been in macOS for quite a while now!

Tabs playing audio display a sound icon which can be clicked to silence them -- if you have 100 tabs open and you can't see the icon, well ... maybe don't do that and then you'll know very quickly which tab is playing audio.

You can also set the default behaviour of all websites (or specific websites) not to autoplay video OR audio in Safari preferences -> Websites -> Autoplay. And if you DO have 100 tabs open and insist on being that disorganized, the Autoplay panel can ALSO give you a list of all your currently-open tabs and let you set them to "never autoplay" or just "stop media with sound." HTH!
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Adapt or move on to something else. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonjony0asdasd
  • Reply 29 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Beats said:
    The tvOS got a few mentions, but to be fair it is mostly stuff also coming to iOS, and of course they did JUST invest the Apple TV with substantial new hardware features,. don't forget. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy the new remote's ability to both turn on my atv as well as the TV **and** switch the TV to the Apple TV imput all with a single button press makes me. Almost as happy as that mute button!!

They did specifically mention that Apple TV will be gaining the SharePlay feature (which itself encompasses multiple abilities), including being able to "throw" the album or TV show/movie you are group watching up to the Apple TV while the discussion/FaceTime part remains on your iPhone or iPad. Also specifically mentioned was the forthcoming ability to control Apple TV via Siri through your HomePod mini speakers, and set them up to be your "soundbar."

Also specificially mentioned was a new feature that combines favourites from different accounts to provide families with a list of possible options that cater (as much as possible) to everyone's tastes (ideal for a family movie night), and (finally) Spatial Audio support using AirPods Pro or Max with the Apple TV.

So not a huge list of features (unless you count each different thing SharePlay can do), but not nothing.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobrawilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 30 of 37
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
  • Reply 31 of 37
    chasm said:
    Beats said:
    The tvOS got a few mentions, but to be fair it is mostly stuff also coming to iOS, and of course they did JUST invest the Apple TV with substantial new hardware features,. don't forget. I cannot even begin to tell you how happy the new remote's ability to both turn on my atv as well as the TV **and** switch the TV to the Apple TV imput all with a single button press makes me. Almost as happy as that mute button!!

They did specifically mention that Apple TV will be gaining the SharePlay feature (which itself encompasses multiple abilities), including being able to "throw" the album or TV show/movie you are group watching up to the Apple TV while the discussion/FaceTime part remains on your iPhone or iPad. Also specifically mentioned was the forthcoming ability to control Apple TV via Siri through your HomePod mini speakers, and set them up to be your "soundbar."

Also specificially mentioned was a new feature that combines favourites from different accounts to provide families with a list of possible options that cater (as much as possible) to everyone's tastes (ideal for a family movie night), and (finally) Spatial Audio support using AirPods Pro or Max with the Apple TV.

So not a huge list of features (unless you count each different thing SharePlay can do), but not nothing.

I mean, iPhone gets yearly updates and they didn’t use that as an excuse to skip mentioning iOS 15.

My last gen Apple TV 4K was also able to turn on/off my TV and select Apple TV as input with LESS buttons. This new update seems like a step back.

That HomePod Mini update is strange. I thought logically, that feature was supported day 1.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 37
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Probably too early, but any indicators on the future direction concerning GPUs, eGPUs, etc.?

charlieF said:
    ... Anyone else a little pi**ed that there wasn't even a hint of hardware to take full advantage of this amazing new OS? 
    Didn't watch it, but I guess that indicates there were no hints or talk about upcoming hardware at all (I know no announcements of particular products)?

Yeah, that ticks me off a bit, mainly because I want to know, especially stuff about GPU support and where Apple is going with GPUs. I'm pretty confident whatever they come up with in terms of CPU will be fine to exceptional (just scaling on what we've seen with the M1).

It seems like the kind of thing developers would want to know, instead of spatial audio and crap like that. (Again, these software events are just filler mostly, IMO.) I suppose (and hope) that kind of thing will come up in the breakouts, but I'd think the world would want to know that kind of stuff instead of relatively inconsequential software demos.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 37
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 122member
    rundhvid said:
    Universal Control

—I hope  remembered to make this bidirectional >>> iPad & Magic Keyboard controlling the Mac 🤭

And why not extend that to operating a headless Mac mini using your iPad & Magic Keyboard with iPad as the only monitor?
    I feel similar to you, but I can't figure out how you would move the mouse on a Mac using your finger on an iPad. That's because a mouse is a relative-change device which doesn't actually know where the pointer is, while an iPad is an absolute-change device where the pointer is where your finger is. Also, a finger can't "click and hold" which the mouse can do. I think a finger doesn't have the flexibility of a mouse which is (probably) why Apple can't support it the way you (and I) want.
    Hence: iPad & Magic Keyboard (with trackpad) 👍🏿
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Yep, it's called Luddite Mode, a quick click of the button and you'll be taken back in time, click it enough times and your device becomes an abacus.
    Haha, funny sarcastic little man. If you recall, Apple Mail has had a "classic mode" for years, and Finder has many customisation options in how it should present itself. There is no reason why an app like Safari cannot be customised as such, especially since it deviates from the standard operating system looks on how tabs are rendered.
    Prick.
    williamlondonasdasd
  • Reply 35 of 37
    lkrupp said:
    As if these things are so binary. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamasdasd
  • Reply 36 of 37
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    rundhvid said:
    rundhvid said:
    Universal Control

—I hope  remembered to make this bidirectional >>> iPad & Magic Keyboard controlling the Mac 🤭

And why not extend that to operating a headless Mac mini using your iPad & Magic Keyboard with iPad as the only monitor?
    I feel similar to you, but I can't figure out how you would move the mouse on a Mac using your finger on an iPad. That's because a mouse is a relative-change device which doesn't actually know where the pointer is, while an iPad is an absolute-change device where the pointer is where your finger is. Also, a finger can't "click and hold" which the mouse can do. I think a finger doesn't have the flexibility of a mouse which is (probably) why Apple can't support it the way you (and I) want.
    Hence: iPad & Magic Keyboard (with trackpad) 👍🏿
    Good point. That may work. I’ve never tried that combination. But Apple didn’t mention this, so it probably won’t be supported. 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    As if these things are so binary. 
    Krupps a weird man. He’s an Apple ideologue not a normal consumer. Any minor complaint and he’s extremely defensive. People can’t be fans of Apple and dislike the odd thing, that’s what “haters” do. 

Also pretty sure that he’s the passive aggressive poster using the informative button as a disagree button. 

He’s the caricature of the Apple diehard fan that is ridiculed outside of the Apple world but rarely exists anymore inside it. Thank the lord. 

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon