Apple previews iPadOS 15 with home screen widget support, system-wide notes

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2021
Following its introduction of iOS 15, Apple has used its WWDC 2021 keynote to show off iPadOS 15, complete with the new ability to apply widgets to the home screen and more.

As to be expected from a WWDC keynote, Apple has outlined changes coming to its iPadOS operating system. While it includes many of the feature changes of iOS, it also has some changes aimed just at tablet users.

After debuting first on iPhone with iOS 14, Apple now allows widgets to be freely placed anywhere on your iPad's Home Screen. That includes a new extra-large widget size that takes advantage of the iPad's larger display. Apple also has several new widgets, including some for Find My, Contacts, and GameCenter.

Multitasking was also overhauled. Many of the previous gestures were replaced by a less-intimidating multitasking menu that allows users to choose between full-screen or split-screen interfaces.

Also new for multitasking is what Apple has dubbed "the shelf." The Shelf will display all open windows for any app. Other changes include the ability to create split-screen views directly from the multitasking interface and all-new keyboard shortcuts.

Apple also pointed out changes to Notes its keynote presentation as well. Shared notes support tagging other users and an activity feed to keep track of changes between users. Tags can be used to more easily sort and find your notes.

Quick Note is available system-wide by swiping up from the lower-right corner. You can type or write with Apple Pencil. Quick Notes is also contextually aware. For example, while in Safari, if you would create a Quick Note, it would include a link to the website you're currently visiting.

With iPadOS 15, Apple is bringing the Translate app to iPad. It supports split-screen and a new Auto Translate feature that will detect when you're speaking and what languages. It will then immediately translate in real-time to help facilitate multicultural communication. Users can also translate anything throughout the OS by highlighting it and tapping "translate."

With a significant update to Swift Playgrounds, users can create apps entirely on their iPad. While not as full-featured as Xcode, it is the first step in mobile app development.

Carried over from iOS 15

Along with these iPadOS-specific changes, many of the updates included in iOS 15 are also being incorporated into iPadOS 15.

This includes the new Focus status options with Notification Summary, condensing alerts down to an easy-to-digest single notification when switching modes. Do Not Disturb notifications to others in communications apps will also be shown depending on the user's status.

FaceTime's audio and video enhancements make the transfer and SharePlay and Shared with You support in Apple's apps. FaceTime Links enable cross-platform FaceTime calls, including with Android and Windows users.

Live Text, Apple's automated OCR system for the camera, will also capture text found in images used throughout the operating system, including the user's photographs and those viewed online.

Expanding Apple's new Maps experience to four more countries in 2021 is also on the cards. Users in cities will see extra information such as commercial districts and individual buildings, while landmarks will gain custom designs and a night viewing mode.

Maps also has an AR view that offers walking directions assistance when users scan nearby buildings with the camera. Driving navigation adds 3D junctions to help make it easier to understand the road layout at complex interchanges that overlap each other.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    They also introduce some much needed enhancements to multitasking.  Will they be enough?  I'll have to see - but it looks promising!  I am looking forward to hiding the majority of app pages on my iPad.  It's a bit crazy it took them this long to give us better tools to keep tabs on our apps; better late than never I suppose!
    edited June 2021 williamlondonStrangeDaysdewmedbvaporwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Is Swift automagically uploading to App Store the same as Xcode?  Hopefully all the WWDC holdouts will cancel their pre-orders and my late-June/Early July shipping estimate for my 1TB 12.9 will automagically turn into this Friday.  Let's go!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Apple “another work around because we won’t allow you to run MacOs on the iPad.”
    williamlondonOfermuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 21
    1. No “Pro” Apps
    2. No TRUE external monitor support
    Disappointing for iPad OS 15…
    williamlondonOfermuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 21
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    k2kw said:
    Apple “another work around because we won’t allow you to run MacOs on the iPad.”
    Fucking yawn, not this shit again.
    StrangeDayspscooter63uraharawatto_cobrabeowulfschmidtjony0
  • Reply 6 of 21
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    k2kw said:
    Seriously. Just buy a frigging MacBook instead if macOS is the tool you need to do your job. 
    williamlondonStrangeDaysdewmewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I am not sure I would call the improvements to multitasking an overhaul. And I am really disappointed there was no rebuilding of file management.
    williamlondonOferMplsPmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    k2kw said:
    Another “I don’t understand why macOS is not a touch-based OS” post…
    edited June 2021 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Japhey said:
    k2kw said:
    Seriously. Just buy a frigging MacBook instead if macOS is the tool you need to do your job. 
    I don't know if you've heard this, but apparently, MacBooks don't have touch screens or pencil support. And both of those things can be very useful in certain situations.

k2kw said:

That's not what he said. macOS doesn't have to be fully touch-based for it to be extremely useful on iPad hardware. I know it's not going to happen, but I think it would be awesome if you could have the option of booting an iPad into macOS, if attached to a magic keyboard or similar.
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonright_said_fredGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    k2kw said:
    And another post mischaracterizing what someone said rather than actually responding to it.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    entropys said:
    I am not sure I would call the improvements to multitasking an overhaul. And I am really disappointed there was no rebuilding of file management.
    Those were my thoughts, too. I’ll have to try the multitasking tools to decide but I’m definitely disappointed that the file system remains half-baked.

Overall, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of truly useful stuff here. The real question - will it allow us to block videos from autoplaying in web pages (like all the videos on Apple insider?)
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 21
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    k2kw said:
    If you want to run MacOS, then get a Mac. 
    If you want to run iPadOS, then get an iPad. 

I think your expectations were way too high for iPadOS at WWDC21, considering that it is meant to run the same OS that goes into the iPad/iPad mini/iPad Air.

If you want to replace your aging Mac, then get another Mac. 
    If on the other hand you want or can complement your existing workflow with an iPad then the iPad Pro is a great tool. I already know how I can complement (not replace) my workflow with it. 
    On top of that, the iPad is my most used device when I'm not working. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 21
    thedba said:
    k2kw said:
    OOF! Way to miss the point.

There are things that iPad hardware can do, that Mac hardware cannot. There are things that macOS can do that iPadOS cannot. Seriously, I'm amazed by the number of people who seemingly lack the required imagination to invisage how running the more advanced OS on the more advanced hardware, might be useful for some people. 

If you wish to use the iPad as a tablet, clearly iPadOS is the way to go. But many wish to use it more like a laptop, with pencil input or occasional touch input (where that is better than mouse/trackpad) - hence the magic keyboard. It's in this latter situation where the iPad would unquestionably be dramatically enhanced by the ability to boot macOS. 
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingamMplsPwilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 21
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    mr. h said:
    thedba said:
    k2kw said:
    OOF! Way to miss the point.

There are things that iPad hardware can do, that Mac hardware cannot. There are things that macOS can do that iPadOS cannot. Seriously, I'm amazed by the number of people who seemingly lack the required imagination to invisage how running the more advanced OS on the more advanced hardware, might be useful for some people. 

If you wish to use the iPad as a tablet, clearly iPadOS is the way to go. But many wish to use it more like a laptop, with pencil input or occasional touch input (where that is better than mouse/trackpad) - hence the magic keyboard. It's in this latter situation where the iPad would unquestionably be dramatically enhanced by the ability to boot macOS. 
    No point was missed. In fact you cherry picked part of my post to make your point.
    If you want to be able to use touch or pen input on a full desktop OS, then Windows is the way to go today. 
    Like I and many others have already mentioned in other threads, if that was the computing Nirvana, that many think it is, then Apple would’ve been calling it quits on iPadOS by now and touch based Macs would’ve already been announced. The Windows world has been at it since the original iPad was announced. 

My original point still stands. If the iPad and iPadOS can complement your existing workflow then great. Don’t look for it to fully replace your Mac. If not, then Mac is the way to go. And beyond work, iPad is the best device for leisurely activities. Including personal banking, staying in touch with far away loved ones, reading a book etc. 
    williamlondonjony0
  • Reply 15 of 21
    thedba said:
    No point was missed.
    Yes it was. You're still not getting it.
    thedba said:
    If you want to be able to use touch or pen input on a full desktop OS, then Windows is the way to go today.
    Because it's the only option!
    thedba said:
    if that was the computing Nirvana, that many think it is, then Apple would’ve been calling it quits on iPadOS by now
    No. Because iPadOS is an excellent tablet OS. So if you want to use the iPad as a tablet, iPadOS is better than macOS. I have a surface pro 4 and wish I could replace it with an Apple product, but I can't. If Apple allowed you to boot macOS on an iPad, I'd buy an iPad Pro immediately.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 21
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    mr. h said:
    thedba said:
    if that was the computing Nirvana, that many think it is, then Apple would’ve been calling it quits on iPadOS by now
    No. Because iPadOS is an excellent tablet OS. So if you want to use the iPad as a tablet, iPadOS is better than macOS. I have a surface pro 4 and wish I could replace it with an Apple product, but I can't. If Apple allowed you to boot macOS on an iPad, I'd buy an iPad Pro immediately.
    Yeah, because the most success Apple can achieve is by copying Microsoft.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Japhey said:
    k2kw said:

Oh, OK -- I get it now.   I'm supposed to buy 2 machines where one should be able to do the job, but can't.   That's fine.   Apple needs the money more than I do.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 21
    k2kw said:

Except nobody but you said that.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 21
    thedba said:
    k2kw said:

I think your expectations were way too high for iPadOS at WWDC21, considering that it is meant to run the same OS that goes into the iPad/iPad mini/iPad Air.

If you want to replace your aging Mac, then get another Mac. 
    If on the other hand you want or can complement your existing workflow with an iPad then the iPad Pro is a great tool. I already know how I can complement (not replace) my workflow with it. 
    On top of that, the iPad is my most used device when I'm not working. 

Were expectations too high?
    Or was what was delivered to low?

Increasingly people will get tired of saying:   "Oh, boy, I can't do that because I only have an iPad."  (Or I only have a Mac).
    The only way my 8th grade grandson could do his school work using Apple products was to have BOTH a MacBook and an iPad.   Neither, by itself, could do all that his teachers required.   On the other hand, the cheap, crappy Dell 2 in 1 the school handed out could do it all and, if it had a better processor and better screen could do it very competently.

Nobody in his family will be upgrading their MacBook or iPad until Apple lifts what are becoming increasingly artificial constraints on their functionality.

Perhaps the analogy might be a Ferrari without a reverse gear:   It can go out-run and out-perform almost anything on the street.  But you can't park it.
    For my grandson:
    -- If he only had a Mac he could do his English and Social Studies Homework (most of it) -- but not his math or science homework.
    -- If he only had an iPad, he could do his math and science homework but not his English and Social Studies Homework (not without a great deal of difficulty)

To put it simply:   Have you ever tried to solve a quadratic equation on a Mac?  Yeh, you can do it -- but it would take many times longer than on a tablet with pencil.   And drawing a political cartoon for Social Studies?   Forget it.
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 21
    mr. h said:
    thedba said:
    Yeah, because the most success Apple can achieve is by copying Microsoft.
    Apple has an extensive history of not being first to market with a particular idea, but rather, being first to market with a specific idea implementation that doesn't suck.

Really, I don't get the resistance to this idea. How does it harm anyone to offer the option of booting an iPad into macOS?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam