What are your current machines and how long do you envision them lasting for you?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

What do they mean they don't support Apple Computers? Argghhh!

that just means they wont fix it if you break it... and they wont help you get it on their network...

I bought my computer on jaguar day, 8/23/02.... and based on the way I "baby" it... it wont last for three more years... not that I am saying I will break it... but... yeah... it isn't going to last... I say 3 in total, if I'm lucky... I already want to get a DVD-RW, but I don't want to spring for DVD SP.... hmmm... i dono...

maybe if I can sell this one to my brother, with lifetime support... and get a nice tower with an iBook... hmmm.... I AM working during school... will sleep on it...
  • Reply 42 of 46
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I'm using a 5 year old powermac 8600/200 (w/a 400 MHz G3 card overcloced to 450MHz). Stock video card and hard drive.

All in all, I've really liked this computer. For the most part, it's run great. I also like the AV connectors on the back or it. I plan on using this until the new powermacs come with either a ppc 970 or a Motorola G5 (if it exists).
  • Reply 43 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Okay I decided exactly when I will replace my iBook 800 MHz. One of three conditions must be met:

1) It cannot run the most recent Mac OS. And by this I mean it's not completely supported. For example, I wouldn't want to jump through the hoops that owners of Old World machines have to in order to install OS X (putting OS X on the first 8 GB partition, for example). I don't want to resort to software hacks to run the latest OS, and I don't want to see internal components of my computer start disappearing (like the internal floppy drives on beige G3s).

2) It is out of warranty AND a critical internal component, such as the motherboard, screen, optical drive, hard drive, or battery, dies. If the hard drive dies I MIGHT consider replacing it myself, same goes with the optical drive - I figure if it's out of warranty then I have nothing much to lose. But I doubt that'll happen soon. Most likely, the battery will drain down to a 15-30 minute charge or so by the time it needs replacing.

3) It gets so frustrating to use that I am constantly searching for a different computer to bum off someone. If I avoid it entirely just to avoid the frustration, I'd probably want to replace it. It's pretty miserable, I've been there - I was the owner of a PowerMac 7100/80 from 1997 until 2001, and I had an 8100/100 for a few months from 2001 to 2002. Meanwhile my parents had a PowerMac G4/400 and a PowerBook G3/233 and I was constantly using those because my PowerMac was just way too slow and frustrating. Having only a 1 GB hard drive was pretty bad too. Of course, by the time I invoke this one, I'd probably have already invoked the first one as well.

So, I'm guessing my iBook will be replaced in 2-3 years. Maybe sooner if some part dies spontaneously and it's not economical to fix. I dunno if I'll buy AppleCare for it, maybe, maybe not. I'm really short on the $ right now so I can't afford it at all, but I have until December to buy it so that might change. I don't know which Mac OS will be the first not to run on my little iBook, but based on Apple's history, I'm guessing it'll run anything made until around 2005-2007. I have a hunch that Apple will discontinue support for Old World machines in 10.3, or maybe in 10.4, and then they'll get rid of G3 AND G4 support in 10.5 - you'll have to have a 970 to run it. Of course it all depends on Apple's strategy as far as processors go, maybe the 750fx and the G4 will be used extensively in consumer machines even after the 970 is released for the Pro machines. But I'm guessing I'll replace this iBook in like 2-3 years.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I buy a new machine about every year or year and a half. I usually give the old machine to my mother and retrieve from her the one I gave to her the year before. Right now I'm dealing with a Powerbook 1Ghz and a G3. I'll be happy next year to have the Powerbook G4 500 back, which I can use to run 9 for all of those unreplaceable apps that died along the way, and a 970 powerbook or cluster XServe or whatever I get to be my main machine. The G3 is a tower and acts as a headless server right now under X Server. Pretty Boring, really.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Now that I have some idea where I'll be getting money for my next machine and just how much I'll be getting, I'm torn. I want a portable, I want a G4, and I want to replace my mother's aging iMac. Those three things are important. I'd also really like something portable for her too.

I can get two iBooks and a G4 iMac (not the best, but not the worst, and it would be cool to have that many machines, best of all worlds), an iBook and a mini-PowerBook (we both get what we want, and I get a machine that fits my needs better), or a Lapzilla 17" PowerBook and an eMac (really selfish, but I would love that machine).

Anyhow, the timeframe will be within the next 3-4 months (but then it's been "less than 12 months" from the lawyers, for the past 3.5 years..), so I'm amending my previous post. My bondi iMac has 3-4 months left in it, and then it'll probably get sold on eBay for more than it is worth. I would keep it as a music server/stereo, but it doesn't even have FireWire, so that would be stupid.