Google Stadia exits beta period, available now on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
The Google Stadia game streaming service has exited its experimental phase on iOS and is now a progressive web app within Safari.

Google Stadia exits beta on iOS
Google Stadia exits beta on iOS

Stadia first came to iOS and iPadOS in December in the form of a beta web app. The game streaming service brings PC games to any Stadia-enabled device without a download or need for a powerful graphics card.

Google announced it has exited the beta phase of Stadia on iOS and is rolling out the new version now. The new version includes the ability to choose mobile-optimized resolution adjustments.

Those looking to try Stadia on their iPhone or iPad need to create a Stadia account and add the Progressive Web App to their Home Screen. Once logged in and on the Stadia site use the share sheet and select "add to Home Screen."

This web app will launch a new Safari window without the usual browser UI elements. You'll be able to log in and play games from here. Stadia supports touch controls, but a Bluetooth controller is recommended.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quick, sign up before Google cancels it.
    foregoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Sounds like games can work as a browser app. Hmmm. 
    edited June 2021 applguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    Well, they've already shut down their Stadia Game Studio so it wouldn't be surprising if the service goes the way of the dodo before the end of the year.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/1/22260803/google-stadia-game-development-studio-shut-down-jade-raymond
    To be fair, the service actually works fairly decently if you have halfway decent internet service.  I can't speak to how it works as a web app though, I stream it directly to a smart TV when I use it.  Which is rarely.  GamePass is better in every way imaginable.
    genovelle said:
    Sure they can.  No one doubted they could.  The complaint was it's an inferior solution.  It is.   Fortunately, most people aren't relegated to the web app experience as a choice.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    genovelle said:
    Nothing new here. Games have been running in web browsers for years, and not just Java apps.

There are a bunch of online gaming sites (especially for legacy games) that run in browsers.

In a few years, a lot of gaming will be streaming. All of the heavy lifting will be done by the servers and the client (your handheld or PC) will mostly just be a frame buffer with mouse/gamepad input.

Google Stadia has been running as a production service for Windows PCs and Android phones for a while. iPhones are finally "catching up" but this headline isn't noteworthy as an innovation headline. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,805member
    Well, they've already shut down their Stadia Game Studio so it wouldn't be surprising if the service goes the way of the dodo before the end of the year.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/1/22260803/google-stadia-game-development-studio-shut-down-jade-raymond
    To be fair, the service actually works fairly decently if you have halfway decent internet service.  I can't speak to how it works as a web app though, I stream it directly to a smart TV when I use it.  Which is rarely.  GamePass is better in every way imaginable.
    genovelle said:
    Sure they can.  No one doubted they could.  The complaint was it's an inferior solution.  It is.   Fortunately, most people aren't relegated to the web app experience as a choice.

It’s purpose is to collect your info nothing else, gameplay is irrelevant (more spyware).
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    danox said:
    genovelle said:

It’s purpose is to collect your info nothing else, gameplay is irrelevant (more spyware).
    Honestly, that is just tired rhetoric that adds nothing to the discussion.  There's practically nowhere your digital information in collected.  Name one company that doesn't data mine customer information.
    muthuk_vanalingampscooter63