iPod touch 5 prototype shows Apple considered iPhone 4-like design

Posted:
in General Discussion
An Apple leaker has shared images of what appears to be an 30-pin iPod touch prototype shell that features a design strikingly similar to the iPhone 4.

Image credit: <a href=@laubaiTD" height="768" />
Image credit: @laobaiTD

Late Wednesday, known Apple leaker @laobaiTD shared apparent images of a scrapped design for what he calls the iPod touch 5. The device features a more squared design, reminiscent of the iPhone 4. The design also features a 30-pin connector, which would have been the same dock connector used in the iPhone 4.

iPod Touch 5 30Pin Prototype Shell pic.twitter.com/9pNJoaf5Rm

-- Mr White (@laobaiTD)

Inside the shell, there is what appears to be a date for May 2011. This would likely have been the correct timeframe for such a prototype to exist, as the fifth-generation iPod touch debuted in October 2012.

The image suggests that at one point, Apple may have been planning to update the iPod touch to appear visually similar to whatever iPhone Apple was selling at the time. However, the fifth-generation iPod touch launched with a design quite similar to the current generation's design -- thinner, more rounded, and with a Lightning connector rather than the 30-pin dock connector of the previous generation.

Apple's iPod touch was last updated in 2019, making it the seventh-generation device of its line. While the device received a lukewarm reception, AppleInsider maintains that there's still a decent market for it, especially for children who aren't quite old enough to need a phone yet.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I just want to say that I think it’s bullshit that comments are disabled for the article “Legislation to curb anticompetitive Big Tech firms, limit mergers is imminent”.  

This is a subject that affects each and everyone of us and I think we should be able to talk about it on a site whose very livelihood depends upon the ecosystem under threat. 

Disappointing. 
    elijahgBeatsapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I wish Apple would bring back the nano with all-screen, port-less design and a full-fledged OS with App Store. Apple has like 95% of this dying market but that doesn’t mean they can’t evolve it into something better and new.

If anyone’s wondering why a full-on OS, it would be like iOS Mini. It would be easy to develop iOS apps onto it that don’t require a huge screen. Weather, calculator, and a bunch of cool games for example.

Imagine something this size but all screen!

It would be a cool handheld game device. That market is wide open since game companies have abandoned it after iPhone. (No i don’t consider new iPhones portable game handhelds because they’re phones and they’re huge. iPod touch could be one though. Yes 100% my opinion.) Plus handhelds are wildly popular in Japan (which is Apple’s biggest market by market share) who’s population still holds on to the PS Vita and DS squeezing the last juice left. Imagine how fast they’d buy this handheld!

Some apps it could launch day one:
    Apple Music
    Hundreds of games
    HomeKit, Wallet, Health, Apple TV remote and basically anything Apple can fit onto it
    iMessage (no cellular though)
    Photos (no camera)

I guess there could be a cellular option with camera but it will cost more and get into iPhone territory when the idea is to be a new device.

And for those thinking the screen is too small for apps. Here’s iMessage scaled down to the size on my iPhone 6s.

Add Find My Network and it’s a good way for parents to keep track of their kids. Also it’s small so you don’t wanna lose it.

Price it at $199 with 64GB and it’s a hit for kids, portable gamers and tech heads like myself. I would imagine it being a massive holiday hit.
    Anyways, just a passion project I’ve been writing for years. I know it probably won’t happen though.....
    Dogpersonh4y3s
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Japhey said:
    I just want to say that I think it’s bullshit that comments are disabled for the article “Legislation to curb anticompetitive Big Tech firms, limit mergers is imminent”.  

This is a subject that affects each and everyone of us and I think we should be able to talk about it on a site whose very livelihood depends upon the ecosystem under threat. 

Disappointing. 
    Alas, this happens far too often on the AI forums. I don't think they pay the moderators enough (if anything) to moderate important, if at times heated, discussions.
    h4y3swatto_cobra