Key 'iPhone 13' camera component orders exceed entire Android manufacturer demand

Posted:
in iPhone
As it ramps up to deliver the "iPhone 13" in the fall, Apple's key camera component orders are expanding, and are expected to eclipse the entire Android smartphone market's consumption.

The next iPhone is again expected to feature improved cameras
The next iPhone is again expected to feature improved cameras

As Apple prepares its next iPhone, almost certainly for a September launch, component manufacturers are reporting increased orders. Companies in Taiwan are reportedly preparing to increase their production capacities to meet Apple's orders.

According to Digitimes Asia, the key component is a Voice Coil Motor (VCM). As previously reported, Apple has added Largan Precision to the list of manufacturers making this camera module.

VCMs are used to provide improved focus control, as they use magnets to provide precision movement of a camera module's different elements. The technology has previously been predicted to be utilized in a future iPhone's "periscope" lens, possibly in 2022.

Digitimes sources say that VCMs will also be part of an improved Face ID sensor system. To meet Apple's expected orders, firms are planning to increase their capacity by between 30% and 40%.

The sources also estimate that this quantity will mean VCM shipments to Apple will reach the same level as are anticipated for the entire range of Android manufacturers.

Note that Digitimes as a whole has a strong reputation for the accuracy of its sources within the supply chain. At the same time, it also has an extremely poor one for its analysis and conclusions from the information it receives.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Apple didn't already use voice coil motors in their camera system? I would have assumed they did and surprised if that was not the case.

Perhaps this report means Apple will use a second one for the FaceID system?
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not really sure what this actually means, if anything at all. 

Do all Android phones use this camera module? I doubt it. Otherwise it would mean Apple believes it will outsell all Android phones combined. Given that most Android phone sales come from the basement bargain bucket, I find this highly unlikely. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Rayz2016 said:

Do all Android phones use this camera module? I doubt it. Otherwise it would mean Apple believes it will outsell all Android phones combined. Given that most Android phone sales come from the basement bargain bucket, I find this highly unlikely. 
    I suspect Apple expects to outsell all Android phones with "high quality" cameras. In other words, Apple sells more premium phones than all of the Android manufacturers combined.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Rayz2016 said:

It could also be not many Android cameras use the VCM component. As @FileMakerFeller said, probably only the top tier Android phones use that component and iPhones probably outsell those.

Maybe, the fact that the iPhone has 2-3 lens at the back and another camera in the front, uses 3-4 VCMs per phone, so it could account for the numbers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Rayz2016 said:

The Pixels have since the Pixel2. Perhaps some of the Samsungs do too. Otherwise I would doubt that most cheaper smartphones use one.