iOS 15 will cut support for iPhone 6s and original iPhone SE, report claims

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
The next update to Apple's iOS could kill support for older devices like the iPhone 6, iPhone 6s Plus, and the original iPhone SE.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

According to the report from French site iPhoneSoft, Apple's iOS 15 update will seemingly drop support for devices with an A9 chip when it launches later in 2021. That corroborates a previous rumor about iOS 15 compatibility.

All three devices slated to lose current iOS compatibility are at least four years old. The iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus were both released in September 2015, while the original iPhone SE debuted in March 2016.

In addition to the iPhones, iPhoneSoft also says a number of iPads will no longer be supported by iOS 15. Here's what may be getting left behind.
  • iPhone 6s (2015)

• iPhone 6s Plus (2015)

• iPhone SE (2016)

• iPad mini 4 (2015)

• iPad Air 2 (2014)

• iPad 5 (2017)
Per iPhoneSoft, the full list of current iPhone devices that will be compatible with iOS 15 include: The list of compatible iPads include: Apple maintains support for older devices for several years after their release. When it does cut support, it typically does so because of hardware constraints.

The last time Apple culled the list of supported devices was with its iOS 13 update, which nixed support for the iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, six-generation iPod touch, the first-generation iPad Air, and third-generation iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    It should be noted that Apple will continue to support the older devices with periodic updates to iOS 14, usually for security reasons for many more years.
    p-dogDogpersonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    mike1 said:
    It should be noted that Apple will continue to support the older devices with periodic updates to iOS 14, usually for security reasons for many more years.
    And also noted that the 6s was released in 2015, meaning it has been capable of running the most current version of iOS for 5-6 years with security updates beyond that. Definitely above the norm, Apple!
    p-dogjimdreamworxcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    We have an original iphone se which runs exceptionally well with ios 14. I think because it needs less cpu to power the smaller screen it is more efficient than a 6 or 6s. So, crossing fingers it will get the ios 15 update when it comes. Lovely small phone ....
    rcfacornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Hope, Apple keeps supporting 6S for one more cycle. I am ok long as Apps keep running on IOS 14 after they are upgraded to run on newer IOS. Hard to let go perfectly working phone just because the Apps need newer OS that is not supported on your phone. Years back switched to iPhone because newer IOS were supported on older iPhones for long time.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    And what would be the hardware constraint in this case? It’s not RAM (2-3 GB) is part of both A9 and A10 based devices.
    It’s not neural processing, that came only with the A11.

The only significant difference, aside from compute power which would make the older phones simply run not as quickly, are the low-power CPU cores.

The only way that would be of more importance for iOS 15 than for iOS 14 is if Apple plans to massively increase “always on” background processing in such a central function that without it, iOS 15 wouldn’t just be itself, where without low power cores battery life would be intolerably short.

Otherwise, I would have expected the next device culling to coincide with the requirement for neural processing, i.e. maybe iOS 16 only for A11 and later.
    Similarly, the A11 is the first CPU with an Apple-designed GPU, which would make it another reason for a natural next-generation cut-off.

So I hope Apple keeps supporting these A9 devices, which are otherwise modern in terms of mass storage controller, etc. until A11 is the base requirement for reasons listed above.
    edited January 2021 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    scatz said:
    We have an original iphone se which runs exceptionally well with ios 14. I think because it needs less cpu to power the smaller screen it is more efficient than a 6 or 6s. So, crossing fingers it will get the ios 15 update when it comes. Lovely small phone ....
    It runs fine. I put a lot on ti so sometimes it loose its breath. Mostly in one demanding app. It was reason I upgraded from 5S as app started crashing because lack of memory.

But main point I wanted to say is what interesting features and changes as supported phones will have more power and 3 GB RAM minimum.
    It may also push iPhone 12/13 mini sales as those who wanna have recent os may upgrade their original SE. If apple will keep 12 mini for 599 USD it may become more appealing to upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    wood1208 said:
    Hope, Apple keeps supporting 6S for one more cycle. I am ok long as Apps keep running on IOS 14 after they are upgraded to run on newer IOS. Hard to let go perfectly working phone just because the Apps need newer OS that is not supported on your phone. Years back switched to iPhone because newer IOS were supported on older iPhones for long time.

They still do as evidenced by your 6S running iOS14. Whether it makes the cut to iOS 15 is yet to be seen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    rcfa said:
    And what would be the hardware constraint in this case? It’s not RAM (2-3 GB) is part of both A9 and A10 based devices.
    It’s not neural processing, that came only with the A11.

The only significant difference, aside from compute power which would make the older phones simply run not as quickly, are the low-power CPU cores.

The only way that would be of more importance for iOS 15 than for iOS 14 is if Apple plans to massively increase “always on” background processing in such a central function that without it, iOS 15 wouldn’t just be itself, where without low power cores battery life would be intolerably short.

Otherwise, I would have expected the next device culling to coincide with the requirement for neural processing, i.e. maybe iOS 16 only for A11 and later.
    Similarly, the A11 is the first CPU with an Apple-designed GPU, which would make it another reason for a natural next-generation cut-off.

So I hope Apple keeps supporting these A9 devices, which are otherwise modern in terms of mass storage controller, etc. until A11 is the base requirement for reasons listed above.
    We all know it’s not about hardware constraints. It’s about being able to continue to sell us the same product every few years, while bloating up the OS with more “features” to attract repeat sales.

I’m unsurprised iPhone 6s is getting dropped. I’m still running iOS 12.x on mine because of how many reports of slowdowns and bugs (and the expectation of bugs still NOT fixed, such as bugs I’ve reported repeatedly every major revision that doesn’t fix them, some starting back at iOS 7!!!) in iOS 13 & 14, especially for this phone.

I’ll probably be forced into buying a new phone in a year or two just because of the inability to use stuff that requires iOS 14+. It’s annoying that the two camera features I find desirable in Apple iPhones over the last ten years has only just appeared (raw images, which I assume means literally raw, and not screwed with by processing we cannot turn off which makes every photo look crystallized in order to hide low ISO noise, which I’d rather see instead), and the other is only available on the big-ass version of the “pro” phone I don’t want to spend all my money on.

I’ll probably also be forced to buy a new iPad Pro just to keep up with iOS music apps, when they inevitably abandon the first 12.9” model, probably at a version of iOS that cripples it, performance-wise, which cannot be undone, so it’s basically gambling when you make the decision to “upgrade” or not...

I’ve been with the computer industry since age 14. I’m REALLY TIRED of this perpetual hamster wheel of built-in obsolescence. I’ve lately been playing around with the same computers that were around when I was 14. They’re less capable, but they’re also inherently less complicated, quicker to start and shut off, more predictable, and almost entirely consistent (except for part failures, and it’s remarkable that 30-year-old computers still work, and even have a small market of new retro tech and replacement parts made available by clever hobbyists).
    Lippy
  • Reply 9 of 10
    LippyLippy Posts: 1member
    Please can someone advise me I am a pensioner who only got my first iphone 18 months ago and yes it was an iphone 6S because that is what everyone I knew had got and they loved the 6.  I am amongst the minority who do not have my mobile in my hand all the time.  I use it to make calls, send texts, use face book and instagram a little and am still trying to work out things like notes and the diary.  I refuse to have apps I have to pay for. What I have suits me.  The camera quality doesn't bother me, my husband is a professional photographer and gets far better results with his camera kit than any phone can.  Do I really need to abandon my lovely little iphone 6S or will I be able to carry on as normal?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    mike1 said:
    Will updated apps be able to run on 6s?