Apple adds Windows Precision Touchpad to Boot Camp, eight years late

Posted:
in Mac Software
An unexpected update to Boot Camp in macOS sees Apple let users improve how their Mac trackpads work under Windows.

Boot Camp
Boot Camp

MacBook Pro does famously get named as the best option for a Windows laptop, but Apple's Boot Camp has consistently mimicked one of the PC operating system's failings. PCs have tended to have poorer trackpads, poor enough that Microsoft introduced a Windows feature called Precision Touchpad to improve it.

However, Microsoft first introduced Precision Touchpad to Windows in 2013 and Boot Camp did not provide access to that option -- until now.

As Boot Camp looks to disappear under the move to Apple Silicon, it has nonetheless received a new update. Version 6.1.15 was released this week and its main update is to support Windows Precision Touchpad.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Any chance this could be a signal that they’re continuing work on BootCamp and that it MIGHT be enabled on M1 Macs somehow? :|  I don’t know; I’m just reaching on this one. Perhaps they (Apple) found a way to run a HAL or something on top of M1/M2 hardware where (Intel) Windows can run on top of? *shrug* Just wishful thinking here lol
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    I was just thinking about Microsoft during the WWDC keynote earlier this week… every single year we get this Suez Canal ship worth of new technology, features, tools, etc. Meanwhile Microsoft just stagnates, takes five years to get something like Windows 10 out the door, and then years of postponed releases and cancelled features. More happens in a single WWDC than five years worth of Microsoft. What an awful platform.
    StrangeDaysalexonlinewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 35
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Any chance this could be a signal that they’re continuing work on BootCamp and that it MIGHT be enabled on M1 Macs somehow? :|  I don’t know; I’m just reaching on this one. Perhaps they (Apple) found a way to run a HAL or something on top of M1/M2 hardware where (Intel) Windows can run on top of? *shrug* Just wishful thinking here lol
    While Apple could choose not to offer Bootcamp for M1 Macs, I don't see that as something they'd shy away from as the cost of development is likely minuscule compared to the overall benefit. The core issue is Microsoft not offering a license for Windows ARM. MS will offer this when PC makers are wanting to push more ARM-based PCs to the market to better compete with Apple on performance per watt. There's too much at stake for MS not to make this happen for their vendors.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    Another dumb link bait headline from apple insider.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 35
    exsangusexsangus Posts: 29member
    Xed said:
    While Apple could choose not to offer Bootcamp for M1 Macs, I don't see that as something they'd shy away from as the cost of development is likely minuscule compared to the overall benefit. The core issue is Microsoft not offering a license for Windows ARM. MS will offer this when PC makers are wanting to push more ARM-based PCs to the market to better compete with Apple on performance per watt. There's too much at stake for MS not to make this happen for their vendors.
    Agree 100%. It may take a few years, but I would be shocked if we never saw Windows on ARM.
    GeorgeBMaccaladanianmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 35
    scatzscatz Posts: 30member
    I find it difficult to believe that boot camp is going out of the window due to apple silicon. There will simply be a pause/lull whole microsoft sorts it's arm64 licensing and software out. It's just that it'll take a little longer for everything to align.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:

I suspect the licensing issue is a consequence of WIndows not being fully functional on ARM based processors:  that Microsoft doesn't want to release something to the general public that isn't ready yet.

But, this is possibly a sign that Apple and Microsoft may be working together to bring it up to speed.   That would be a Win-Win-Win:  Microsoft, Apple and their customers would all win.

Microsoft needs to get the ARM based software up to speed while Apple needs Windows simply because there is just too much proprietary stuff out there that doesn't run or doesn't run well on MacOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 35
    IF Apple and Microsoft are working to bring Windows to the M1 -- that opens the door to it running on iPads under a BootCamp scenario

That would finally give the iPad the power it needs to be fully functional both in tablet mode and in laptop mode.

The iPad team has been dragging their feet on it long enough.   Maybe, if nothing else, the thought of Windows running on the iPad might get them moving.
    edited June 2021 caladanianrbnetengrdarkvader
  • Reply 9 of 35
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    Can these new drivers be extracted to use the Magic Trackpad on a Windows PC? I’m stuck using a ThinkPad for work and would love to be able to use my Magic Trackpad with it with full functionality. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Xed said:
    Microsoft needs to get the ARM based software up to speed while Apple needs Windows simply because there is just too much proprietary stuff out there that doesn't run or doesn't run well on MacOS.
    I’d argue that is a niche of Apple’s customer base. Sure I’d love it, but vast majority of Mac customers (normals) don’t use Boot Camp or even VMs to run MS specific software. It’s a nice to have for Apple, but not a need to have. 
    edited June 2021 OferwilliamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Parallels was able to get Windows 10 for ARM running on a M1 Mac. There is no technical reason that it can't be done. The challenge is in licensing, there is no way to buy a Windows 10 for ARM license that allows you to run it on an M1 Mac. So, until Microsoft addresses the licensing issues it is all kinda a moot point. 
  • Reply 12 of 35
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    IF Apple and Microsoft are working to bring Windows to the M1 -- that opens the door to it running on iPads under a BootCamp scenario

That would finally give the iPad the power it needs to be fully functional both in tablet mode and in laptop mode.

The iPad team has been dragging their feet on it long enough.   Maybe, if nothing else, the thought of Windows running on the iPad might get them moving.
    Seriously. That horse is dead. It is not going to move no matter how many times you hit it with that stick.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 35
    AppleZulu said:

Seriously. That horse is dead. It is not going to move no matter how many times you hit it with that stick.
    He still has a lot of information wrong, but at least he's no longer blaming Apple for Microsoft's lack of Windows licensing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 35
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    exsangus said:
    Xed said:
    Agree 100%. It may take a few years, but I would be shocked if we never saw Windows on ARM.
    Microsoft is waiting for Apple to build a functional ARM PC so they have a platform to run Windows on. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 35
    larryjw said:
    exsangus said:
    Xed said:
    Microsoft is waiting for Apple to build a functional ARM PC so they have a platform to run Windows on. 
    M1 Macs aren't just functional, but are destroying x86_64-based PCs everywhere.

Windows on ARM already exists and has for many years. MS Surface devices hat mostly run ARM  have a decent mindshare despite their low-volume sales.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 35
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’ve never agreed MORE with an Apple Insider headline.

I had Windows on my first MacBook Pro, way back in the day. The reason I didn’t stick with it was the trackpad behavior was abysmal. It was inferior, by far, to Mac OS trackpad behavior, but also poor in general, which seems to be consistent with that platform, as I’ve never had a GOOD trackpad experience on Windows.

Because of Windows, I hated trackpads. Apple’s trackpads had to be extra good to convert me and now I AM a convert. I love the gestures. I only use a mouse for gaming and occasionally image editing/art (where a Wacom tablet is more often in use). My only complaint with Apple trackpad behavior is the dead spots around the periphery. I understand the motive (avoid accidental touches), but the execution is annoying. It’s still better than any mouse Apple ever designed (it’s as if they actively & consciously WORK at being bad at mice).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Xed said:
    I’d argue that is a niche of Apple’s customer base. Sure I’d love it, but vast majority of Mac customers (normals) don’t use Boot Camp or even VMs to run MS specific software. It’s a nice to have for Apple, but not a need to have. 

Bootcamp is and always has been an insurance policy.
    Like any insurance policy, you don't "need it" -- until you do.

When I bought my grandson a MacBook I had no idea that he would end up needing it for COVID enforced Cyberschool.  But, because of BootCamp, I was able to install Windows 10 on it and he was able to use it to run his School's Window Centric software suite without the issues and limitations students with only MacOS were dealing with.  

When you buy a computer you often don't know all the demands it will be asked to meet over its lifetime.  The more flexibility it has, the better it can meet those demands.

Later, his Mom liked his MacBook so much she wanted to get one for herself.  But, when I told her they could no longer run Windows she said "Nope!  I want to be able to run WIndows".
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:

He still has a lot of information wrong, but at least he's no longer blaming Apple for Microsoft's lack of Windows licensing.

As I said, the licensing issue stems from the fact Windows is not (yet) fully developed to run on ARM processors.  It's a technical issue rather than a financial one. 
    It's silly to portray this as a licensing issue:  Microsoft is in the business of selling software, they would not withhold a viable product for some silly ideological reason like the Apple the Fan-Boys spout on a pretty regular basis.

Hopefully Apple abandons their silly fake-pride based policy of blaming Microsoft when they moved away from the platform and instead assists Microsoft in getting Windows running once again on their Macs. That's a Win-Win-Win:  Apple Wins, Microsoft Wins and customers win. 

I suspect though that Apple is trying to exploit the innate advantages of ARM based processors over x86 based processors.  That's silly.  it's just a matter of time before the PC industry also starts producing ARM based PCs and works with Microsoft to produce a viable version of Windows to run on them.

But, another reason Apple could have for blocking Windows is that they plan on MacOS integrating much more deeply and tightly into the iOS centric ecosystem Apple runs -- and Windows would interfere with bringing Macs fully into that walled garden.    Windows would provide an escape route.

So, rather than look silly and stupid, Federighi just blamed it all on Microsoft.   Slick!
    elijahg
  • Reply 19 of 35
    dysamoria said:
    I’ve never agreed MORE with an Apple Insider headline.

I had Windows on my first MacBook Pro, way back in the day. The reason I didn’t stick with it was the trackpad behavior was abysmal. It was inferior, by far, to Mac OS trackpad behavior, but also poor in general, which seems to be consistent with that platform, as I’ve never had a GOOD trackpad experience on Windows.

Because of Windows, I hated trackpads. Apple’s trackpads had to be extra good to convert me and now I AM a convert. I love the gestures. I only use a mouse for gaming and occasionally image editing/art (where a Wacom tablet is more often in use). My only complaint with Apple trackpad behavior is the dead spots around the periphery. I understand the motive (avoid accidental touches), but the execution is annoying. It’s still better than any mouse Apple ever designed (it’s as if they actively & consciously WORK at being bad at mice).

Without left and right buttons I find trackpads to be a pain in the butt.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I was just thinking about Microsoft during the WWDC keynote earlier this week… every single year we get this Suez Canal ship worth of new technology, features, tools, etc. Meanwhile Microsoft just stagnates, takes five years to get something like Windows 10 out the door, and then years of postponed releases and cancelled features. More happens in a single WWDC than five years worth of Microsoft. What an awful platform.
    Microsoft has Windows feature releases twice a year.  They might not be features you’re interested in, but suggesting Microsoft aren’t doing anything is incorrect.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/release-information
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg