Think Secret says new iPod...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    bperkinsbperkins Posts: 110member
    If the buttons are to be moved Extreme Mac, Marware, and other case makers will be irked. So will Apple release a new case with the new layout?
  • Reply 62 of 86
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    One bit of evidence to support the usb/firewire combo is this article from mac whispers http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...045.php#000045 . It basically says that apple is producing a combo usb/firewire cable. My guess is that the cable will be hardwired into the base and their will be two heads at the end at the end. Not exactly the most elegant solution, but probably the most cost effective in that they may be able to combine the PC and Mac versions into one. they can format all the ipods for mac, and make a small "wizard" program included on an install CD to reformat the ipod when used with a PC. It's kind of foolish to make two different products when a simple piece of software can solve the problem.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

I disagree.. I think if I reach down for a button in a row of buttons, I won't necessarily know which I have my finger on, especially if it's one of the two in the middle.

not trying to be nasty or mean...but i use a remote control in the dark all the time and know lots of different buttons by position without looking....i also use a keyboard with lots of keys without looking...most people would probably be able to use 4 buttons fairly easily without having to look at the iPod....

but i hope they are arched like on the looprumors site instead of straight like the thinksecret site....that should make it even easier

g
  • Reply 64 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

but i hope they are arched like on the looprumors site instead of straight like the thinksecret site....that should make it even easier

I agree. The arched layout looks stylish. Slightly bigger screen looks like a winner too.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

I disagree.. I think if I reach down for a button in a row of buttons, I won't necessarily know which I have my finger on, especially if it's one of the two in the middle.

In the current design, however, it's incredibly obvious which button you're pressing.. one on the far top, one on the far bottom, one on the far right, and one on the far left.

BTW, the 10 GB has been going at the UCLA Store for $279 for a while now.

frawgz, so where's the top of the circle? When it's not in my palm, it's not always straight up. I can't tell which button is which since they're separated by the tiniest of crevices. Surely you've come across this before...

With a single row of buttons, you can orient yourself and identify button 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
  • Reply 66 of 86
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

frawgz, so where's the top of the circle? When it's not in my palm, it's not always straight up. I can't tell which button is which since they're separated by the tiniest of crevices. Surely you've come across this before...

With a single row of buttons, you can orient yourself and identify button 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

But then you have to count, horror of horrors

Actually, I'm anal enough to always have my iPod straight up in my pocket, so I always know where the top of the circle is, and for that matter, where the left and right buttons are.

Edit: Also, as long as it's not sitting diagonally somewhere, it should be simple enough to distinguish a left from an up, a right from a down, no? Although I hadn't considered that iPods could sit in any position other than straight up, so I guess the horizontal layout of buttons may be better for some people. I still like my circular layout better
  • Reply 67 of 86
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I can't really take ThinkSecret seriously after they completely botched the last Macworld (of course, everyone botched it). Well, I can't take any rumor site seriously really. IMHO, the best rumor site is here but they're always late!
  • Reply 68 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

But then you have to count, horror of horrors

Oh the horror!
  • Reply 69 of 86
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I just wish Apple would keep the 5GB model to keep the lowend as cheap as possible. 5GB is plenty room for me, and I don't want to spend $299 for the damn thing. Their goal should be to bring it down to $99.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    So since we're getting a redesigned iPod, does anyone think they'll change the wired remote? No one has said a thing about it.

When I'm using it, sometime wish I could see the name of the song on the remote, specially when "shuffle songs" it's turned on and the iPod is in my pocket. Anyone else think the remote needs a lift-up? I say a small "single-line" LCD would be nice.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    mqamqa Posts: 11member
    That is the exact type of remote I would love. Pretty much all MD players have had them for years now, so it really shouldnt be too much of a problem. I am right on the edge in terms of buying an ipod right now, and depending on the new design (esspecially if they have a LCD remote) i may be pushed over the edge in to buying one.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbon2

that they may be able to combine the PC and Mac versions into one. they can format all the ipods for mac, and make a small "wizard" program included on an install CD to reformat the ipod when used with a PC. It's kind of foolish to make two different products when a simple piece of software can solve the problem.

hmmm maybe this accounts for the reseller licensing problems with Dell and Target? best Buy is still on board tho...
  • Reply 73 of 86
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    great idea on the remote...right now its a love/hate relationship. i like having the option to change from afar but every damn time i nudge or twist the base of it i get a reset. im so fed up with it i just took it off and said screw it. to be able to see the song would be really helpful or to scroll though your playlists...for instance, if you are riding your bike or something and the album or list finishes the pod just goes back to the start of all songs on the pod. right now just pressing play starts the whole collection from the start. it would be nice not to have to remove the pod from wherever it is (tight pocket, inner jacket pocket) and instead just be able to scroll through a play list or album....it does need a little window...i have seen other types of players with just that feature.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    this image from the macrumors disscussion boards is nice...though i would like to see the 4 buttons in an arched layout instead of straight and i would like the screen slightly larger (and color would be sweet)

• Reply 75 of 86
    alexisalexis Posts: 82member
    Personally, I love the current design and button layout, so I would not be happy to see any type of redesign such as this...

Also, I only have 30GB in my computer! I don't need anything larger than 10 at the moment!

--Alexis
  • Reply 76 of 86
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I also love the current design. This seems like a step backwards to me. Hopefully Apple will do something more innovative.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Perhaps Apple can apply tactile dots like a car's steering wheel's cruise-control buttons (or the J and F keys on a QWERTY keyboard)? Only the two inner buttons (1 dot = pause, 2 dots = play) would need them since the outer two can be inferred from dot placement.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by macfly

great idea on the remote...right now its a love/hate relationship. i like having the option to change from afar but every damn time i nudge or twist the base of it i get a reset. im so fed up with it i just took it off and said screw it.

Yeah me too. I love the remote but using it poses some problems like the lack of LCD and I also end up with too long of a wire around my body! It's rare when I use it now.

I would also like to see more EXTRAS on the iPod. A couple of new games would be fine, like Nokia phones!

I was inspecting my own iPod, and even if you remove the buttons around the scrollwheel, there is not much space to add 4 buttons below the screen. They would have to be tiny buttons or arrange some sort of layout that looks natural. Am I the only one who thinks it would look kinda crammed?
  • Reply 79 of 86
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

this image from the macrumors disscussion boards is nice...though i would like to see the 4 buttons in an arched layout instead of straight and i would like the screen slightly larger (and color would be sweet)

I really don't like it. Make the buttons bigger around the scroll wheel, but not that.

low-fi
  • Reply 80 of 86
    octaneoctane Posts: 157member
    Everyone beware! This is part of Apple's new strategy! Spread rumors about new designs that look worse than current models in an effort to get people to buy current models for fear of being stuck with ugly ones in the future! Don't fall for it!

But seriously, I'm sure the new design will look great... at least judging from Apple's past it will...