Apple channels Disney's 'The Little Mermaid' to sell iPad-based freedom

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2021
A new ad for the iPad Pro has surfaced, using a song from Disney's "The Little Mermaid" to promote the tablet as a better computing platform than desktops in offices.

Published to Apple's YouTube account but not listed, the minute-long ad titled "iPad - Your next computer is not a computer" takes a fantastical view of day-to-day computing. The ad does so via a well-known song from Disney's "The Little Mermaid."

The song "Part of Your World" in the animation is sung by the character Ariel, who longs to be part of the world that lives above water. Apple takes the same concept and uses it as a lament by indoor-bound office workers looking at someone using an iPad Pro outside.

The workers are surrounded by lots of technology, are symbolically attached to a chair by a cable like a ball and chain, deals with masses of cables under desks. The actors then all look out of a window at another person outdoors, using their iPad Pro to do work or to be in a FaceTime conversation.

Apple concludes the ad with the text "Your next computer is not a computer." This is a callback to a previous ad campaign that used the same phrase to market the iPad Pro as an alternative to notebooks and desktops.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Doesn't the guy on the floor trying to reach an outlet mimic a Chrome ad that seemed to be making fun of Mac?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 2 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Those webcams on top of the monitors are such a Windows thing.

People think Apple is holding back features on iPadOS because they don’t wanna canibalize Mac sales but this ad and the slogan disprove that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    BobVB3BobVB3 Posts: 3member
    Well the ad is stealth 'truthful' - you can only use an iPad outside like that if it is overcast - in bright sunlight they are unusable.
    [Deleted User]darkvader
  • Reply 4 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    BobVB3 said:
    Well the ad is stealth 'truthful' - you can only use an iPad outside like that if it is overcast - in bright sunlight they are unusable.
    I'm not having a problem, but then I don't set up my iPad outdoors so that it reflects the sun, either. I can actually position where I sit outdoors! Amazing!!

Maybe you should get your eyes checked. Or discover these things called "trees" and "overhangs" that generate this new technology called "shade."
    tmayalexonlineleavingthebiggfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    BobVB3 said:
    We haven’t got ours yet but I’m pretty sure the iPad Pro’s 1600 nit display is usable outside.

Beatsfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Funny, I was talking to our tech team last week explaining why our Windows laptops connected to a thunderbolt dock (yes, with one TB cable) driving two displays running only two visible web/office apps maximised at any one time - probably isn’t the future of business productivity tools.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ciacia Posts: 251member
    I just saw this ad on TV so I guess it's not much of a secret anymore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    chasm said:
    BobVB3 said:
    I'm not having a problem, but then I don't set up my iPad outdoors so that it reflects the sun, either. I can actually position where I sit outdoors! Amazing!!

Maybe you should get your eyes checked. Or discover these things called "trees" and "overhangs" that generate this new technology called "shade."
    Exactly. Bob’s attempt to throw shade on the iPad is about as successful as those Irish astronauts deciding to land on the sun and saying they can do so safely because they’ll land at night. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I’ve been looking into using my iPad Pro instead of a desktop or laptop and I’ve run into one basic problem: what about apps that only run on MacOS and not iPadOS?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    mcdave said:
    BobVB3 said:
    We haven’t got ours yet but I’m pretty sure the iPad Pro’s 1600 nit display is usable outside.

It certainly is. The new 12.9” is my new computer. The mini LED is superb.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Beats said:

People think Apple is holding back features on iPadOS because they don’t wanna canibalize Mac sales but this ad and the slogan disprove that.
    Apple is certainly moving in the direction of merging the two lines — at least for many tasks. Apple Silicon, Sidecar, keyboards for iPads, Universal Control are evolutionary steps towards merger. 
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    larryjw said:
    Beats said:

Apple is certainly moving in the direction of merging the two lines — at least for many tasks. Apple Silicon, Sidecar, keyboards for iPads, Universal Control are evolutionary steps towards merger. 
    Yet there isn't any attempt at merging hardware, nor has Apple implied that. Different products targeting different consumers, and it anything Universal Control indicates that this differentiation will remain.
    AppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    fred1 said:
    I’ve been looking into using my iPad Pro instead of a desktop or laptop and I’ve run into one basic problem: what about apps that only run on MacOS and not iPadOS?
    Computers purchases should always START with requirements based on the software that you need to run on the computer. If the iPad doesn’t run an app that you need to run, but a Mac does … that’s a very easy decision - buy the Mac.

The choice between buying an iPad or buying a Mac only comes into play when the software you need runs on both platforms. That’s when the pros and cons of each platform can be weighed. But the decision process should always start with the software, not the hardware. Hardware without software is just an expensive lap warmer. 

Frankly, I don’t understand the consternation that some folks are having about iPad (Pro) vs Mac. If you’re buying an iPad in hopes of the software that you need to run will eventually come to the iPad, perhaps because the latest iPad Pro has the same SoC as the latest MacBooks, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and have nobody to blame other than yourself. You can complain all you want that Apple hasn’t lived up to your hopes and dreams, but until Apple commits to delivering something and announces it, your complaints are not going to get you anywhere, at least not any time soon. Maybe 3-5 years from now Apple will get around to what you wish they would deliver today.

I said it before and I’ll say it again - buying any computer, including and iPad (Pro), should always start with the software. Depending on your needs you may not even have a choice, e.g., certain games, high end sw dev platforms, legacy apps, etc. The only reason I still have a full-up Windows machine is because I have to run certain very specific legacy apps that are not available on macOS or Linux, or do not run adequately on VMs. Speaking of VMs, as much as I’d love to have an M1 Mac for all of my needs, the fact that M1 is not supported by VMWare Fusion makes it a non starter as a do-it-all machine. I’m not going to buy an M1 Mac and sit around hoping for full Intel VM compatibility or complain about it not being there. I can either stick with an Intel Mac or buy a Windows machine. I’ve chosen the latter.

When buying a new machine your hopes, dreams, and potentialities are quaint, but when it comes to laying down the cold hard cash - it always starts with the software

This isn’t just a knock on buyers either, because a lot of the “appeal” that Apple is selling in their ads like the one above is based on the iPad’s hardware, form factor, and touch virtues, not really the software. So Apple is doing its part to get potential buyers all geeked up about escaping the clap trap of traditional desktop computers without telling you that some of the apps you really depend on aren’t available on the iPad. Apple is selling a vision and potentialities that they cannot deliver, not without the software to make it real. So as a buyer you have to look beyond the hype and determine for yourself whether an iPad fills your needs.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    larryjw said:
    Beats said:

There is a difference between overlapping and merging. From the start, the iPad has been a device to bridge the space between an iPhone and a MacBook, overlapping with features of both. When it was introduced, critics scoffed and said there was no need for such a thing. They were wrong. It runs on iOS (now branched off as iPadOS), but it was never intended to be a really big iPhone. In fact, they released really big iPhones later to be really big iPhones. With its touch UI and OS, it’s never been intended that it would be a MacBook, even when they released a keyboard to make it easier to type things on an iPad.

Given iPad’s huge sales and high customer satisfaction, there’s a consumer-demand-driven market for just exactly what it is, and as the ad above suggests, for many, it’s all some people will need or want. That then leaves room for MacBooks and Macs to serve their a different tier and use case. It overlaps iPad, and with the announcement of even more fluid interconnectivity in the next OS updates, this means Apple is pushing further into maintaining and advancing each product line, not merging them into one device.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    dewme said:
    fred1 said:
    Computers purchases should always START with requirements based on the software that you need to run on the computer. If the iPad doesn’t run an app that you need to run, but a Mac does … that’s a very easy decision - buy the Mac.

The choice between buying an iPad or buying a Mac only comes into play when the software you need runs on both platforms. That’s when the pros and cons of each platform can be weighed. But the decision process should always start with the software, not the hardware. Hardware without software is just an expensive lap warmer. 

Frankly, I don’t understand the consternation that some folks are having about iPad (Pro) vs Mac. If you’re buying an iPad in hopes of the software that you need to run will eventually come to the iPad, perhaps because the latest iPad Pro has the same SoC as the latest MacBooks, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and have nobody to blame other than yourself. You can complain all you want that Apple hasn’t lived up to your hopes and dreams, but until Apple commits to delivering something and announces it, your complaints are not going to get you anywhere, at least not any time soon. Maybe 3-5 years from now Apple will get around to what you wish they would deliver today.

I said it before and I’ll say it again - buying any computer, including and iPad (Pro), should always start with the software. Depending on your needs you may not even have a choice, e.g., certain games, high end sw dev platforms, legacy apps, etc. The only reason I still have a full-up Windows machine is because I have to run certain very specific legacy apps that are not available on macOS or Linux, or do not run adequately on VMs. Speaking of VMs, as much as I’d love to have an M1 Mac for all of my needs, the fact that M1 is not supported by VMWare Fusion makes it a non starter as a do-it-all machine. I’m not going to buy an M1 Mac and sit around hoping for full Intel VM compatibility or complain about it not being there. I can either stick with an Intel Mac or buy a Windows machine. I’ve chosen the latter.

When buying a new machine your hopes, dreams, and potentialities are quaint, but when it comes to laying down the cold hard cash - it always starts with the software

This isn’t just a knock on buyers either, because a lot of the “appeal” that Apple is selling in their ads like the one above is based on the iPad’s hardware, form factor, and touch virtues, not really the software. So Apple is doing its part to get potential buyers all geeked up about escaping the clap trap of traditional desktop computers without telling you that some of the apps you really depend on aren’t available on the iPad. Apple is selling a vision and potentialities that they cannot deliver, not without the software to make it real. So as a buyer you have to look beyond the hype and determine for yourself whether an iPad fills your needs.
    Check out Parallel Desktop. It supports the M1 chip.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 298member
    BobVB3 said:
    Bright sunlight? Wise guy, eh?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    AppleZulu said:
    larryjw said:
    Beats said:

There is a difference between overlapping and merging. From the start, the iPad has been a device to bridge the space between an iPhone and a MacBook, overlapping with features of both. When it was introduced, critics scoffed and said there was no need for such a thing. They were wrong. It runs on iOS (now branched off as iPadOS), but it was never intended to be a really big iPhone. In fact, they released really big iPhones later to be really big iPhones. With its touch UI and OS, it’s never been intended that it would be a MacBook, even when they released a keyboard to make it easier to type things on an iPad.

Given iPad’s huge sales and high customer satisfaction, there’s a consumer-demand-driven market for just exactly what it is, and as the ad above suggests, for many, it’s all some people will need or want. That then leaves room for MacBooks and Macs to serve their a different tier and use case. It overlaps iPad, and with the announcement of even more fluid interconnectivity in the next OS updates, this means Apple is pushing further into maintaining and advancing each product line, not merging them into one device.
    Actually I see a single product: headless Mac with iPad as the screen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    The only problem with the ad (aside from a Disney tie in) is that the folks using the iPads are not doing the jobs as those on the PCs. 
    GeorgeBMacfred1
  • Reply 19 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dewme said:
    fred1 said:

True!
    But I would change the word "Software" to "Functionality" -- and that's a combination of software, hardware and communications.

And you are right that anybody buying an iPad today in expectations that Apple will upgrade the software is a fool.   But, for myself, I am getting impatient waiting for them.   It's coming.  It's pretty much inevitable.   But they are dragging their feet on it.

• Reply 20 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, is Apple suggesting that iPads (with external keyboards & trackpads) are up to laptop level standards?

I've tried it.  They aren't.   The software isn't there yet.  
    Yes, they can do the work -- but its a pain in the butt.  Very inefficient.

Apple should understand that, and I suspect that they do.  
    Perhaps they are suggesting that offices have work that is well suited to iPads as they stand.
    ... Now THAT is true!