'iPad mini 6' renders show off slim bezels & lack of home button

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2021
For some time, Apple's next iPad mini has been rumored to see a major redesign, and one prominent leaker has created a set of renders based on alleged schematics and images of the device.

Credit: FrontPageTech

The so-called "iPad mini 6" will be overhauled to bring its design more in line with Apple's other square-edged tablets. On Friday, FrontPageTech published renders of what the next mini Apple tablet could look like.

According to leaked information obtained by Jon Prosser and the FrontPageTech team, the iPad mini won't have a Home button. The footprint, however, will remain basically the same as the previous iPad mini 5. Prosser says there's only a 3mm difference between the two.

The iPad mini 5 still has a Touch ID sensor, which has been moved to the power button. The speakers on the device have also been vastly improved, with one source telling Prosser that they sound "crazy nice." Apple has ditched the Lightning connector in favor of a USB-C port. Reportedly, the "iPad mini 6" will come in silver, black, and gold.

Prosser also posits that recent rumors of an "Apple Pencil 3" could actually refer to a smaller Apple Pencil model meant for the iPad mini. That appears to just be speculation, however.

Earlier in June, Bloomberg reported that Apple was working on a new iPad mini with slimmer display bezels and a home button-less design. That report indicated that the iPad mini could debut alongside a thinner education-focused iPad as early as 2021.

Additionally, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has forecast the 2021 launch of a home button-less iPad mini. Kuo predicts that the smaller tablet will have a display between 8.5 inches and 9 inches on the diagonal. Those specifications were also echoed in supply chain rumors back in January.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    I’m ready, can’t wait an other month. I already sold my 5, so I’m hampered.
    dewmeMisterKitBeatsfirelock
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    If the real product lives up to the rumors I will buy one without hesitation on day 1.

I would also like to see Apple do a second version of this rumored product in a ruggedized format with enough cost reduction to once and forever replace the iPod Touch for people who want something they can game on or consume content without running down the battery in 30 minutes because the WiFi is turned on. If this means a polycarbonate body or some sort of Casio G-Shock inspired build, all the better. Just putting a rugged case on a regular jewelry quality iPad mini isn’t good enough because the total cost has to be inexpensive enough to replace iPod Touch with something significantly smaller than the base iPad. Throw in either 12 months of free Arcade or a game controller with every Mini/G purchase.
    Beats
  • Reply 3 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    A good idea Dewme, although compact usually means more expensive to design and produce. I doubt Apple would go a cheap build body either.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    THIS is a good combination of ideas.

THIS is a hit!!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    Long hoped for... Yay !!!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Always such a sweet little machine, the mini, it deserves a solid upgrade. It might make a great complement to an iPhone mini, rather than lug around a big max sized iPhone in your pocket, perhaps revert back to iPhone mini with iPad mini combo?
    right_said_fred
  • Reply 7 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dewme said:
    If the real product lives up to the rumors I will buy one without hesitation on day 1.

I would also like to see Apple do a second version of this rumored product in a ruggedized format with enough cost reduction to once and forever replace the iPod Touch for people who want something they can game on or consume content without running down the battery in 30 minutes because the WiFi is turned on. If this means a polycarbonate body or some sort of Casio G-Shock inspired build, all the better. Just putting a rugged case on a regular jewelry quality iPad mini isn’t good enough because the total cost has to be inexpensive enough to replace iPod Touch with something significantly smaller than the base iPad. Throw in either 12 months of free Arcade or a game controller with every Mini/G purchase.

Apple is really missing out on potential gaming markets. I think Apple has become lazy because of all the mobile game support but those games are trash that can also run on Android.

Check out my all new iPod idea in the 2nd comment:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/222263
    h4y3s
  • Reply 8 of 16
    DogpersonDogperson Posts: 145member
    Does anyone else HATE the giant usbc wall plug as much as I do?? Takes up 2 spaces on multiplugs,which we use a lot for all the iPods and iPads and Homepods. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 16
    zimmermannzimmermann Posts: 324member
    Dogperson said:
    Does anyone else HATE the giant usbc wall plug as much as I do?? Takes up 2 spaces on multiplugs,which we use a lot for all the iPods and iPads and Homepods. 
    Anker makes ‘m much smaller. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    The iPad Mini is by far my favorite (and most used) Apple product. I really hope it’s released at least by October* so I can upgrade from the 4 that I have now. 
    I hope it really does have the design described here. 
    But Prosser even heard one?  How so??

* the next time I’ll be in a country with a real Apple Store. 
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Dogperson said:
    Anker and a couple others make smaller ones. They’re quite useful. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dewme said:

But it won’t so you won’t. Your second paragraph says it all. Coming up with reasons to not buy something is a cottage industry just like making ‘renderings’ of unannounced products.
    edited June 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 16
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    Dogperson said:
    Anker and a couple others make smaller ones. They’re quite useful. 
    Yes, the GaN models that have been out for several years are indeed useful, as well as the various models that have multiple USB outputs. Especially good for travel or shoving into a briefcase.

The Apple-provided chargers don't leave my house these days and a bunch of them have never been opened. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 807member
    Illustrations look hideous! 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    The Mini 5 is still holding up well.

williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    The wife would love this. Waiting, waiting, waiting! Always waiting.